Hey guys I just picked up a brand new Epiphone today (LOVING it) but the one problem I have with it is that after playing for a few minutes my fingers come off black. I got it at Guitar Center but it was only there for 2 days, don't think that had too much to do with it, especially since each fret is equally dirty. I've been using a microfiber cloth on individual frets and after putting some elbow grease into it I have been able to wipe them clean, I just want to make sure this is okay to do/normal and isn't harming anything. Thanks!
Last edited by thekidkid32 at Sep 28, 2009,
No, it's fine. Why/how would it do any harm? You dust/polish your furniture don't you? Common sense.

Also wipe it down with some lemon oil from time to time, helps keep the wood nourished.
Ha yea no doubt man I figured so I just wanted to make sure, a while back I had a guitar that I wiped down a few of the frets real good and it wore it down and bothered me every time I saw it, different wood though for sure. That was just with me in the back of my mind had to make sure, thanks!
Yeah dude, its pretty common to get a little black stuff on your fingers after getting a new guitar.

My fingers kept turning black for like 3 months of constant playing when i got my yamaha acoustic.

^^ the lemon oil is good for sure, you could get some dr. ducks axwax for like 6 bucks at guitar center and treat your fretboard and polish your guitar with it. Pretty good stuff.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
The strings will wear down the frets; a polishing cloth won't.

Changing the strings quarterly will help reduce that. Corroded/oxidized strings are much more abrasive.
Quote by jetwash69
The strings will wear down the frets; a polishing cloth won't.

Changing the strings quarterly will help reduce that. Corroded/oxidized strings are much more abrasive.

+1 it might be the strings making your fingers black.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Sometimes new strings will make your fingers black, too. String cleaners can help.

You shouldn't fret so hard that your fingers touch the actual fretboard anyway (except perhaps sometimes when tapping or hammering).
I always wipe down my neck, strings and fretboard before I play. I hate the feeling of gritty strings and fingerboards when I play.