In the garage I have an old Victor tube radio with 3 knobs. Its very very old and hasnt been used in a long time. not sure if it works or not. maybe it does.

Anyways, it caught my attention because it has many many tubes in the back, some small some big (rectifier tube size estimated)

Are any of these valuable? Maybe there are some old rca 12ax7's that could be used in vintage guitar preamps? I say RCA because to my knowledge Victor radio company was owned by RCA.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

It really depends on the tube type and condition. Vintage tubes can cost up to $1k sometimes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
well aside from guitar amps, are they valuable at all? Im thinking theyre not, but hey, you never know.

And i guess we wont know if they work in guitar amps unless i take a look at them and see what kind they are. Perhaps they are.. theres alot of weird tubes that work in guitar amps..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

All old tubes are valuable, especially if they're in good condition. Hi-fi enthusiasts will pay even more because they are waaaaay more picky than guitarists.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
It really depends on the tube type and condition. Vintage tubes can cost up to $1k sometimes.

Majorly inflated price. Anybody with a braincell wont pay more than $200

An old radio will have 3 or so receiver tubes, a rectifier and a power tube, maybe 2 power tubes. Haven't seen one with your typical preamp using 12AX7 style tubes.

Could have some, but it's unlikely.

Also, why would you only use a vintage 12AX7 in a vintage preamp?

Edit: If it's a radio/hifi amplifier than it may have a 12AU7 or 7025 or something in there, which will work in a guitar preamp.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by Jesstaa
Majorly inflated price. Anybody with a braincell wont pay more than $200

An old radio will have 3 or so receiver tubes, a rectifier and a power tube, maybe 2 power tubes. Haven't seen one with your typical preamp using 12AX7 style tubes.

Could have some, but it's unlikely.

Also, why would you only use a vintage 12AX7 in a vintage preamp?

I dunno, im not a tube-fanatic, but ive heard of people doing stuff like that. Buying expensive sylvanias/rca/philips/siemens preamp tubes and using them in amps that would have a vintage sound, like fenders and marshalls and whatnot.

What are receiver tubes like?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
I dunno, im not a tube-fanatic, but ive heard of people doing stuff like that. Buying expensive sylvanias/rca/philips/siemens preamp tubes and using them in amps that would have a vintage sound, like fenders and marshalls and whatnot.

What are receiver tubes like?

I'm not saying it's weird to use vintage tubes. I have a 1969 Mullard in my preamp. I was just curious about the vintage preamp part.
Anyway

Receiver tubes will have a large bottle that goes out at the top, most likely with the getter at the bottom on the side and a metal connector on the top.

Take some pictures.

Edit: They'll be as I described if it's old enough, around the 50's and 60's some tube radios began using only miniature tubes (The 12AX7 sized ones, except they'll only have 1 pentode or triode instead of 2)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Sep 28, 2009,
Threadjack:

I have an old casio calculator in my desk. I'm not sure if it works anymore. It has 15 buttons. Can I use it's integrated circuit in my solid state Marshal MG-30DFX?
Quote by jetwash69
Threadjack:

I have an old casio calculator in my desk. I'm not sure if it works anymore. It has 15 buttons. Can I use it's integrated circuit in my solid state Marshal MG-30DFX?

Go away!

I suppose tomorrow ill take it out and see what its got. I have no camera at the moment, it broke!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by jetwash69
Threadjack:

Wow... That was humorous. I'm guessing you're trying to compare the use of vintage tubes, which are a component that is often swapped around for other varieties of the same kind of tube, to a digital object? Also, you have a digital calculator and an analog amp.

Fool.

My first sentence didn't make much sense, but you get what I'm saying >.>

TUBES ARE A PART WHICH CAN BE CHANGED AROUND.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Like others have said, they don't really use the exact same tubes.

Quote by jetwash69
Threadjack:

Can you circuit bend something like that? Or whatever they call it. Maybe making a bitcrusher is what I'm thinking of. I saw a video on youtube and the guy was playing through a SNES or something. I can't remember exactly what he did to it.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Just a little levity. Don't take it too seriously. By the way, the DFX = digital effects.

I guess at this hour some people get slap-happy and others get crabby. Oh well...
Quote by jetwash69
Just a little levity. Don't take it too seriously. By the way, the DFX = digital effects.

I guess at this hour some people get slap-happy and others get crabby. Oh well...

Digital effects, analog amplifier, whatever.

But the comparison doesn't really make sense, I mean a radio and a tube amplifier are the same class of object, both audio items. But a calculator and a Marshall MG? o.0
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by ChrisBW
...Can you circuit bend something like that? Or whatever they call it. Maybe making a bitcrusher is what I'm thinking of. I saw a video on youtube and the guy was playing through a SNES or something. I can't remember exactly what he did to it.

Just a lame joke, really. But who knows, maybe with enough soldering that imaginary calculator could give my POS amp a wah feature. For now, though my iron is reserved for my Squier mods.
Quote by jetwash69
Just a lame joke, really. But who knows, maybe with enough soldering that imaginary calculator could give my POS amp a wah feature. For now, though my iron is reserved for my Squier mods.

Haha I know, just using some random electronic device with an amp made me remember that video.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by jetwash69
Threadjack:

Lame, unrelate joke is lame and unrelated.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Threadjack:

Lame, unrelate joke is lame and unrelated.

Thanks. And I put an apostrophe in "it's" where clearly none belongs.

Maybe I ought to try soldering some of Injected's tubes into my pathetic amp instead. Of course any one of them is probably worth more than my amp. Maybe that radio has a better speaker. Wonder if it would fit?
the speaker is most likely absolute ****
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by injected
the speaker is most likely absolute ****

OK, so they'd be equal