I want to plug my amp to my cab, on the back of head it has two plugs that looks like this (see picture) The cab is a 2x12, that says 4 OHM on the back. Do I set the switch on the amp to 4 OHM? Which plug do I use Extension speaker, or the other one?
Attachments:
amp.JPG
Member #5 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.

PM forsaknazrael to join
i believe it is 4 ohms and the main input. ALWAYS use the main first and the extension second. If the impedance on each speaker in the 2x12 is 8 ohms, and they are wired in parallel, then you set your amp to 4 ohms. If they are wired in series, then you would choose 16.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Sep 28, 2009,
What amp are you using? I know with my Orange Thunderverb there is 1 16 ohm jack and two 8 ohm jacks. But the lower impedance is only to be used when 2 cabs are connected so it adds up to 16 ohms. Yours may be switchable but I'd check before you hurt something.
-Ibanez js1200
-Epiphone Les Paul w/ Invader in bridge
-Alvarez acoustic
-Orange Thunderverb 50w w/ 1x12 cab
-Vox Satchurator
-Ibanez ts-9
-Pod x3
-Apple Logic Studio

www.purevolume.com/stoplooklisten
okay, I think I understand. Thanks for the help!

PM forsaknazrael to join
It is a SVH-30 (the brand is Strauss) class A tube amp head, with a SVCAB 212 cab, it says 4 OHM on the back of the cab

PM forsaknazrael to join
Here's a diagram that might help:

http://www.mojotone.com/faq-detail.asp?id=586441

If you use two different impedances, say an 8 and a 16, then you go by the lowest. If the two mentioned before were wired in parallel, it would be 4 ohms, but if it was in series it would be 16. Don't quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure that is how it works.

Do the speakers themselves say 8 ohms on each?? If so, then you are in the clear. Also check if they are wired in parallel or series. Compare it to the diagram above.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Sep 28, 2009,
I'm not sure what each speaker is in OHMs, cause the cab is closed at the back. But it just says 4 OHM impedance on the cab.

The manual (which isn't really helpful) keep talking about an extension cabinet. Is this just reffering to the Cab itself, or some other cab? and what is an internal speaker?

PM forsaknazrael to join
Last edited by the snow queen at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by the snow queen
I'm not sure what each speaker is in OHMs, cause the cab is closed at the back. But it just says 4 OHM impedance on the cab.

The manual (which isn't really helpful) keep talking about an extension cabinet. Is this just reffering to the Cab itself, or some other cab? and what is an internal speaker?

the extension is only for using a second cab. you always use the main first. If you amp was a combo with 1 or 2 speakers, then you would use the extension to plug in another cab. Internal speakers, i think refer to the speakers inside a combo (?). I could be wrong though.

As long as the net impedance of your cab is 4 ohms, all you have to do is plug into the main input and set the head to 4 ohms.
--Einstein

--Einstein
okay, that makes sense to me. I hate these stupid manuals, written in poor english!

PM forsaknazrael to join