Hi,

Im planning to buy a Peavey Classic 30W. I am looking at the combo version but I dont want to make the wrong mistake.

What are the advantages of buying the head version + separate cab över buying the combo version?

Is it possible to connect an external cab to the combo version? If so, what is the difference in using combo+external cab and using the head+cab?

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by wanner at Sep 28, 2009,
1. What are the advantages of buying the head version + separate cab över buying the combo version?

You can choose your cab/speakers. It is easier to carry the head then cab, rather than both at once. I believe the C30 is a 1x12 only, whereas I would suggest a 2x12 cab.

2. Is it possible to connect an external cab to the combo version? If so, what is the difference in using combo+external cab and using the head+cab?

Yes. The combo is literally the head in a speaker cab, so there really is not difference. You can unplug the speaker in the combo, and run only the external cab, or both. I have seen a southern rock band whose rhythm guitarist used a Classic 30 combo through a Marshall 4x12 and it sounded pretty huge.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yes, you can connect external Cab to the Combo.

If you use external cab on the combo, the speaker built into the combo will STILL be on. So you have advantage of extra speaker, placed in another location...

With Head/Cab you can have a closed back cabinet.
With Combo, it's open back (but you can connect external cab)

that's about the only differences I know..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1

I forgot this part. Very important part.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks for your replies.

Quote by jonmo1
Yes, you can connect external Cab to the Combo.

If you use external cab on the combo, the speaker built into the combo will STILL be on. So you have advantage of extra speaker, placed in another location...

With Combo, it's open back (but you can connect external cab)

that's about the only differences I know..

So what is the difference with open/closed back cabinet?
Sorry but i am new to amps, been a GT-8 user til now .
Quote by wanner
Thanks for your replies.

So what is the difference with open/closed back cabinet?
Sorry but i am new to amps, been a GT-8 user til now .

That's all personal preference, and will vary from one amp/cabinet to the next.

But generally speaking, I think a closed back will bring out the bass more. In an open back, obviously some of the bass escapes out the back...

Something like that..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
From the authority (Michael Sabolish at Duncan's Amp Pages):

Open back guitar cabinets... have a very bright and full tone, and make great recording and live cabinets due to the fact that they have wonderful "room filling" properties.

Sealed enclosures can (in general) handle more power, decrease the frequency response (due to a natural built-in rolloff)...
Really in my experience the most notable difference is in bass response. Closed back cabs will have tighter, more thumpy bass, and open back are a lot looser and flabbier. This of course makes the open back seem brighter too. I personally hate open back stuff, which is why I usually don't like combos.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
A couple other another key differences.

Head+Cab will cost more than Combo.

One of the few negative things you will hear/read about the C30 is the tubes tend to rattle a little bit.
I think that is not a problem in the Head, because the enclosure is seperate from the speaker.
But you can buy a simple device to stop the rattle, called a "Tube Tamer", you can find them on ebay pretty cheap.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry about beeing lazy and not doing my own research about difference in open/closed.

Is the tube rattle worse in the C30 than in other combo amps in the same price range.
I play mostly blues/classic rock and the C30 seems to fit my needs very well.

I suppose that if I connect an external cab the rattle wont be an issue?
I personally haven't had a problem with it. But I have read it in some reviews.
Don't let the tube rattle scare you off, it's not really that big of a deal.
It's Easily and inexpensively resolved.
Look on Ebay for "Tube Tamer", they're about $20.
You can probably even make one yourself.

Here's a picture of it.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
^Don't let it scare you off the C30, but maybe let it scare you off the combo version.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^^True that.

And from what you keep saying, if you're planning on connecting a External Cabinet anyway, you might as well get the Head..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Tuberattle wont scare me off (I think) .

However, im not sure i can afford the headversion. The combo is already more than I planned to spend. Can you recommend some descent (not too expensive) cabs to go along with the C30?

As i mentioned earlier i do mostly blues/classic rock
Quote by wanner

However, im not sure i can afford the headversion. The combo is already more than I planned to spend. Can you recommend some descent (not too expensive) cabs to go along with the C30?

What?

You say you can't afford the Head Version, but then you keep talking about connecting a Cabinet to the Combo...That's even more expensive.

Unless you're talking about a used Combo...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
What?

You say you can't afford the Head Version, but then you keep talking about connecting a Cabinet to the Combo...That's even more expensive.

Unless you're talking about a used Combo...

If I buy the combo im not planning to connect a cabinet right away. But i want to know that i have the possibility to do so in the future, dont wanna close any doors! .

How is the PEAVEY WINDSOR 412? I can get that at a reasonable price with the head.
Quote by wanner

If you're in the US I'd go with an Avatar. I think they are the highest quality, cheapest, and most customizable cabs available here. They are still very pricey though. Maybe just look for a cheap 1x12 (Valve Junior, Blackheart, etc.) and use that until you can afford a bigger cab. I used to run a 30 watt crate head into a Blackheart 1x12 and it sounded pretty good.

The Windsor cab is pretty much garbage. I used to have it, and it did no favors to that amp, or anything else I ran into it. It has little or no low end, and the speakers are very harsh.

You should focus on cab quality not size. You don't need 4x12, 2x12 has all the same advantages without the price and weight. For now, though I'd find the highest quality cab you can for the cheapest, and this may mean a 1x12. The Classic 30 is a great amp and it deserves a great cab.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 28, 2009,
If you can afford it, you should go head and cab.
1. Easier transport,

2. More flexibility (you can change cabs if one breaks, you want to try something new, ect),

3. Tube rattle (I've had a bit of trouble with it. No damage done yet but you can hear the tubes rattling and it cant be good for them)

4. You can choose closed or open back (IMO closed back is much better)

You just have alot more versatility

Edit: Also, if you plan on connecting a combo to a cab theres not much point unless you want to put your amp in one spot and the cab in another, but you could get the same effect from just micing your amp through a PA. Also, a head is cheaper than a combo so you'd be saving money going with a head/cab

DOUBLeEDIT: Also, sorry for rambling but a 4x12 won't be much (if any) louder than a 1x12 or 2x12. Just a more bassy, room filling sound but hey, you play guitar not bass
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Sep 28, 2009,
the classic 30 head is almost the same price of the combo version :P
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Just get the combo for now and if you want/need a cab in future then buy one, the C30 combo can run any 16 ohm cab, so don't worry about that. For the 50 extra dollars it cost you might as well go for the combo, it's well worth it in your situtation.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Thanks for all your replies!

I think that the combo is the way to go for me.

I visited my local musicshop today and listened to a C30 Combo, sounded pretty darn good to me. Think i heard some tuberattle when it was played pretty loud on the clean channel though. Was a older model, not sure how old.
Ill buy the new model.

I asked the guy in the shop if he could recommend any other amp in the same pricerange that is tube with an FXloop that do blues/classic rock as well or better than the C30 and he couldnt. So ill ask you the same question? Would you pick any other amp in the same pricerange before the C30?

If i go up some in price i can get the Fender Hot Rod DeLuxe 112. There is also the Laney VC30 in the same price range. Would any of those be a preferable choice, or any other amp for that matter?

Thanks
Last edited by wanner at Sep 30, 2009,
I got a good deal on a new C30 at my local music shop. Will probably pick it up this afternoon. I guess i can always return it or get a tube tamer if the tube rattle annoys me :/
I had tube rattle with my C30. When I put it on an angled amp stand the rattle became intolerable. I have my Ampeg J-20 on the amp stand now with no rattle at all.
^ Thats one thing all combo amps are prone to do, Tubes where never really desing to be put through the hell that a combo amp provides, they take every note you hit, loud or soft it still shakes the hell out of things. Since my retube my Triple X has had much more mechanical noise than before, the amp is also biased hotter, and that might be the cause, but regardless its somthing I have come to hate about combo amps. So much so that I converting my combo to a head. It doesn't cut through when playing gigs or with my band but its just bugs me that I hear it durning quite parts of songs and when I play by myself.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
So i bought the C30. My first impressions are, i think i hear tube rattle. And i definatly thinks that its way too loud for my small apartment .

Thinking about replacing it for a Fender Blues Jr. However i want FX-Loop since i planned to use my GT8 with it, which the Blues Jr doesnt have :/
Quote by wanner
So i bought the C30. My first impressions are, i think i hear tube rattle. And i definatly thinks that its way too loud for my small apartment .

Thinking about replacing it for a Fender Blues Jr. However i want FX-Loop since i planned to use my GT8 with it, which the Blues Jr doesnt have :/

For the tube rattle, of coarse the simple solution is the Tube Tamer..
But also consider the placement of your amp. if it's really close to a wall, that can increase the rattle....Yes...
Make sure you leave alot of free space at the back of the amp. That will help (some).

For the volume, it does have a volume knob to play quietly...
Yes it sounds better cranked, but it's not bad at low volumes.

You can try a volume box in the effects loop.
then you can crank the volume knobs as high as you want, and control the volume with the box. Your tone will be a little better.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Blues Jr, is just about as loud. The C30 has a volume knob, turn it down, it sounds pretty good even when its quite, it just sounds best when its turned up.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
I hope the tube tamer will do the trick.

I just plugged in my GT8 in front of the C30 (no 4CM method since i dont have enough cables). And i must say, even some of the stock patches sound pretty darn good through the clean channel of the C30! I guess by throwing the GT8 in the loop i can manage volume easier aswell!
Quote by wanner
I hope the tube tamer will do the trick.

I just plugged in my GT8 in front of the C30 (no 4CM method since i dont have enough cables). And i must say, even some of the stock patches sound pretty darn good through the clean channel of the C30! I guess by throwing the GT8 in the loop i can manage volume easier aswell!

Yes it will. Put the GT-8's output volume pretty low and use the amp's volume control. Should do the trick.

and yes, the Tube Tamer will do the trick. It's not really a difficult concept. Just a little strip of plastic or something to put a very slight amount of pressure on them.

Another happy C30 Owner. Woo Hoo.....we shall Rule the World..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
I am not totally happy yet. The rattle is pretty bad. I can even hear it playing at volume 1-2 (clean channel). Especially noticable when hitting the A-string on 5th fret. Will the tube tamer fit the newer models with the grid (do you call it grid?...) at the back?

My problem now is that i am not sure that I will be able to fix the tube rattle. And i have a week to decide if i want to keep the amp or not. If im not keeping it im not sure which to get. I guess i could try the Laney VC30.
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8
Yes it will fix it.

Best way to tell if it will fix it is to

Play that Open A note, apply a little pressure on the tubes with your fingers (granted it's hot, so use a cloth or something). If the Rattle goes away, the Tube Tamer will fix it.

I think the Grid is called the "Tube Guard"

It will fit, but I think you'll have to reposition the "Tube Guard"

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 30, 2009,
I will try this tomorrow! I really want to keep it cause I am very happy with the sound. And i have not even started playing with it.
But I dont think i can live with the rattle. Especially since i play almost exclusivly at bedroom level. So the rattle really becomes noticable then.
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8
In order to fit the tube tamer on the new classics you have to lower the tube guard, which means making new holes in your amp.

I will bring back the classic to the shop this weekend and see what other options there are.
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded
Fender Deluxe VM
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss GT-8
^ Just leave the guard off, its a nice feature but its not needed if your careful.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
For those interested i continued the threadhere
Thanks for all your help
Gear:
Gibson LP Special Faded