there are two tone knobs,but what do they each mean,and the slider pin thingy,I know the bottom means a more thrash sound,and totally up means more base and chug sound but what do the others really do?
I'm curious too, I've never noticed it doing anything much.

EDIT: Stupid me, I was talking about the bottom tone knob.
Last edited by Flibo at Oct 6, 2009,
The slider thing is a pickup selector.
Sliding it to the left (assuming you're in the playing position, and you're right handed) activates the neck pickup (or pickup furthest to the left). To the middle, mid pickup, and to the right, bridge pickup. In between the pickups activates 2 pickups at the same time.

Neck pickups have a bluesy feel to it, middle pickups. Idk, just try it. Bridge pickups have a sharper, trebley sound to them.

Tone knobs effect the bass and treble of the pickups, but in different ways.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
read teh manual
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Guitar2theface
The slider thing is a pickup selector.
Sliding it to the left (assuming you're in the playing position, and you're right handed) activates the neck pickup (or pickup furthest to the left). To the middle, mid pickup, and to the right, bridge pickup. In between the pickups activates 2 pickups at the same time.

Neck pickups have a bluesy feel to it, middle pickups. Idk, just try it. Bridge pickups have a sharper, trebley sound to them.

Tone knobs effect the bass and treble of the pickups, but in different ways.

This, although I have only gotten results with the first tone knob of I am on the neck pickup. The second tone knob doesn't have any noticeable effect. I stick to my amp's EQ.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
I don't have a strat but I'd imagine the second tone knob is for the bridge pickup.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
I don't have a strat but I'd imagine the second tone knob is for the bridge pickup.

Nope. On standard stratocasters, second tone knob affects the middle pickup (and on my MIM it sounds like it also affects the neck pickup).

There is only 2 or 3 strats that have the tone controls affect the neck and bridge, one of them being the EJ strat. Otherwise you have to get it rewired.

Quote by Skulltair
there are two tone knobs,but what do they each mean,and the slider pin thingy,I know the bottom means a more thrash sound,and totally up means more base and chug sound but what do the others really do?

Tone knobs affect the treble of a pickup. It gives it a more darker sound which some players use in leads, or for Jazz. The "slider pin thingy" is a pickup selector. On modern strats it has 5 positions, on vintage strats it typically has only 3 positions. The 5 positions are this:

All the way left (I think this is Position 5 if I'm correct) is just the Neck Pickup.
Little bit over which is the inbetween (Position 4) is Neck+Middle, which acts as a slight humbucker and cancels a lot of hum that single coils cause.
Middle(Position 3) is middle pickup. It has a quack kinda sound to it. Sometimes used in country or funk.
After that is Position 2, which is the Middle+Bridge (Same effect as Neck+Middle)
Positon 1 is last, which is the bridge pickup. Has a very sharp twangy sound to it, almost like a Tele. It's used heavily in country and when playing leads. It's typically a louder pickup.
The second knob is for the bridge and it does exactly what the neck pickup knob does, the lower the number, the thicker the sound.
^^About the second tone knob. I know most strats come from the factory with it set to the middle pickup, but I'm playing more and more strats now that have it set to control the bridge pickup. My 06 HW1 came factory set up with it set for the bridge pickup, and most strats I've been playing at GC and local guitar shops have it set up like this too. Fender may have decided to change it?
I like positions 2 and 4, it gives that Strat quack sound.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby