When you palm mute, is it always one direction? or do you pick both ways, the specific song im talking about if it matters, is Earthquake by The Used and if you pick both ways, then i need some help knowing how to do it, cause im having trouble holding the pick and having it not fall when i do that, so if someone can at least clear this up for me i´d apprecaite it.
you can palm mute both ways

practice

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
You can definitely palm mute in both directions.

If you're trying to palm mute a chord, then down picking might be easier for you, but that depends on how fast it is. If the riff you are trying to play is fast, then alternate picking is the way to go. Alternate picking while palm muting is quite popular in a lot of metal, though a lot of it is done on a single string.

Try practicing your alternate picking on one string and then move onto chords. Don't worry about palm muting at first, once you get down the picking, muting the strings will be easy.

Here's a couple things you can try:

Try tightening up on your pick, only leave a little bit of the pick sticking out while your picking (especially alternate picking). This will help your control and your speed too. You may want to try a different pick too. What are using right now? Perhaps try a thicker pick or even a jazz pick.

Try angling your pick down when you pick. Instead of trying to keep your pick completely horizontal to the strings, try slightly pointing your thumb towards the floor. Experiment with different positions and find what is most comfortable and gives you the most control.

Happy practicing!

Gear:

Ibanez Universe
ESP MII
Schecter C-1
Quote by UniversalMII
You can definitely palm mute in both directions.

If you're trying to palm mute a chord, then down picking might be easier for you, but that depends on how fast it is. If the riff you are trying to play is fast, then alternate picking is the way to go. Alternate picking while palm muting is quite popular in a lot of metal, though a lot of it is done on a single string.

Try practicing your alternate picking on one string and then move onto chords. Don't worry about palm muting at first, once you get down the picking, muting the strings will be easy.

Here's a couple things you can try:

Try tightening up on your pick, only leave a little bit of the pick sticking out while your picking (especially alternate picking). This will help your control and your speed too. You may want to try a different pick too. What are using right now? Perhaps try a thicker pick or even a jazz pick.

Try angling your pick down when you pick. Instead of trying to keep your pick completely horizontal to the strings, try slightly pointing your thumb towards the floor. Experiment with different positions and find what is most comfortable and gives you the most control.

Happy practicing!

Yeah how often won't you see

p.m
000-000-000-000
If you have trouble alternating while palm muting, try different angles for your hand and pick
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
try it slowly... and increase ur speed slowly...

when u palm mute... I think ur there will be some difficulty to upstroke... I think its best u look for the root of ur problem and try experimenting a bit...