so i have this guitar
ibanez szr720
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-SZR720

and i know next to nothing about pickups, but the stock ones on my guitar sound pretty muddy in my opinion so i was thinking of putting in a seymour duncan JB pickup in the bridge. im still looking for a neck pickup to get me those creamy smooth lead tones for alot of shredding type leads and leads that have a mastodon type solo sound off the czar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP158-Evolution-Neck-Pickup-302950-i1127901.gc
thats the neck pickup ive been looking at, and opinions or suggestions are much appreciated.
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
i dont listen to any mastodon, but the dimarzio air norton is pretty damn good. look up any of petrucci's demonstrations of his solo stuff on youtube (damage control is probably the one to look at) - though youll have to pick out the neck pup from the bridge pup. shouldnt be too hard
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Sep 28, 2009,
what do you play? rock and especially metal are suited to pickups with a higher output, and i personally am considering a DiMarzio pickup (i think a super distortion in the bridge, dunno about the neck).

Otherwise, try Bareknuckle pickups. They're good, but you can't go wrong with SDs.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by Bob_Smith
i dont listen to any mastodon, but the dimarzio air norton is pretty damn good. look up any of petrucci's demonstrations of his solo stuff on youtube (damage control is probably the one to look at) - though youll have to pick out the neck pup from the bridge pup. shouldnt be too hard

what do you mean pick out the neck pickup from the bridge one? like i said im a nub at pickups
Quote by mechanix901
so i have this guitar
ibanez szr720
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-SZR720

and i know next to nothing about pickups, but the stock ones on my guitar sound pretty muddy in my opinion so i was thinking of putting in a seymour duncan JB pickup in the bridge. im still looking for a neck pickup to get me those creamy smooth lead tones for alot of shredding type leads and leads that have a mastodon type solo sound off the czar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP158-Evolution-Neck-Pickup-302950-i1127901.gc
thats the neck pickup ive been looking at, and opinions or suggestions are much appreciated.

If you go for the JB, couple it with a SD Jazz. It's a really good sounding and versatile combination.
WTLTL 2011
Youtube the Schecter C1 classic (or another guitar with Jb/Jazz) and decide for yourself.
WTLTL 2011
Before any constructive suggestions can be made, you need to answer these questions:
1. What bands' tones would you like to achieve?
2. What amp are you using?
3. Budget?

I personally like this DiMarzio combination:
Neck: Air Norton / Evo2
Bridge: D Sonic

However, if you are in the market for amazing pickups... go for this combination for metal:
Neck: Bare Knuckle Nailbombs
Bridge: Bare Knuckle Miracle Man

or

Neck: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats
Bridge: Bare Knuckle Painkiller

or

Neck: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats
Bridge: Bare Knuckle Nailbomb
(This used to be Chris Boderick's old pup combination)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 28, 2009,
spider valve 212, so im gettin good feedback on the duncan jb's but no opinions on the dimarzio neck pickup, can you even put seymour duncan and dimarzio pickups in the same guitar?
Quote by mechanix901
spider valve 212, so im gettin good feedback on the duncan jb's but no opinions on the dimarzio neck pickup, can you even put seymour duncan and dimarzio pickups in the same guitar?

Yes you can. Its just a matter of brands, it doesn't affect your tone or guitar in anyway.

If you are just using a modeller, get the Seymour Duncan Jazz (Neck) / JB (Bridge)... it'll work well.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
any references so i can hear the jazz? oyea i looked at the bare knuckle pickups, im not trying to spend $200 a pickup
Quote by Mark G
If you go for the JB, couple it with a SD Jazz. It's a really good sounding and versatile combination.

+1

alternatively swap the jb for a sh-6 distortion.
is it hard to install pickups or any good guides yall know about?
Quote by mechanix901
what do you mean pick out the neck pickup from the bridge one? like i said im a nub at pickups

you can roughly see when he does a pickup change - i meant listening for the difference in the neck and bridge pickups just so you can hear the what the neck pup sounds like.
from your OP, it seemed like you knew the difference, so thats why i suggested it wouldnt be too hard
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
There are a few guides around UG, do a search for the guides. Keyword: pickup
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
so is it anything too hard? my dad works in the electrical field so im guessing if he can read a wire chart im good?
Quote by mechanix901
so is it anything too hard? my dad works in the electrical field so im guessing if he can read a wire chart im good?

The wiring diagrams are dead simple, they are meant for amateurs. If your Dad knows how to handle a soldering iron and has the tools, he can help you. Its dead easy, it just takes time and effort.

Its about as complex as baking a cake.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
o haha, cool well thanks. so wiring two "different" brand pickups in one guitar isnt really a complex thing? cause i like the tones ive been hearing from the dimarzios, just need to do more research on the SD jazz
Quote by mechanix901
o haha, cool well thanks. so wiring two "different" brand pickups in one guitar isnt really a complex thing? cause i like the tones ive been hearing from the dimarzios, just need to do more research on the SD jazz

Its nothing complex at all.

However you need to make sure that you get the correct wire colour codes. The red wire on a Seymour Duncan is not the same as the red wire on a DiMarzio.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )