I think my thread title pretty much explains what i'm trying to do.

I've found a used gibson SG gothic that i want to purchase but the previous owner painted the name of his band on it. I'm not sure what kind of paint he used but from what i've read on the forums sanding or chems seem like the obviously choice. is there a way to do this while preserving the original finish?

has anyone had any luck with this sort of thing? i did a search and scanned the sticky thread but didn't really see any comments on this.
Attachments:
gothic-SG.jpg
well u can try....paint thinner(might mess up sg finish),alcohol and or nail polish remover,ummm........yeah good luck
Hit it with some super fine grit sand paper - like 3,000 grain - and just pay real careful attention.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
fine grit sandpaper, it'll be raised slightly above the old finish so it should come off first, if not you'll have to just touch up with some matt black
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
use sandpaper i guess. just be really careful obviously, because as soon as you break through that later of paint, you can say good bye to the old finish.

even so, it won't look that great afterwards...
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
I'd say scrape it, it'd be a shame to mar the beautiful matte black.

I luvs muh matte black gitz.

------

Shwiggity.
It really depends on how the original owner painted it. Was it painted on top of the clear? With the color coat then all cleared over? Etc.

If it's on top of the clear, then you can likely lightly sand it off with a high grit, then simply polish the fine scratches out. If it's under the clear, I'm afraid it's a bit more complex. You'll have to remove the clear on that patch, sand off logo, repaint, then spray a compatible clear coat.

Anyway, I think it looks pretty cool and I'd leave it there
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by la bamba
It really depends on how the original owner painted it. Was it painted on top of the clear? With the color coat then all cleared over? Etc.

If it's on top of the clear, then you can likely lightly sand it off with a high grit, then simply polish the fine scratches out. If it's under the clear, I'm afraid it's a bit more complex. You'll have to remove the clear on that patch, sand off logo, repaint, then spray a compatible clear coat.

Anyway, I think it looks pretty cool and I'd leave it there

the logo doesn't really fit the music i'm doing (i.e. not metal) so it's gotta go but i haven't seen the guitar yet so i'm not sure how it was put on there.

he's asking 500 for it and the hardcase - i'm kinda worried i'm going to end up paying another 200 to get the lame logo removed and figure out why the pickups are rusted... guess i still need to see how it sounds.
Get a bush with plastic bristles.

Get lacquer thinner (not paint thinner or mineral spirits).

Apply lacquer thinner generously and scrub with the brush.

Get some carnauba wax and wax the body to remove the milky coating left behind.

This will not hurt the clear coat.

It'll leave a ****-ton of hairline scratches, though. You can prolly buff it out.
Quote by Invader Jim
Get a bush with plastic bristles.

Get lacquer thinner (not paint thinner or mineral spirits).

Apply lacquer thinner generously and scrub with the brush.

Get some carnauba wax and wax the body to remove the milky coating left behind.

This will not hurt the clear coat.

It'll leave a ****-ton of hairline scratches, though. You can prolly buff it out.

wow. this is incredibly helpful!

you're awesome Jim!
Quote by shiitake
wow. this is incredibly helpful!

you're awesome Jim!

he learns quick

I can actually use that info too, thanks Jim.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!