Don't worry. This isn't a versus thread.

I'm looking to buy a new guitar to play metal on (mainly thrash and melodeath), cause my current guitar is a Yamaha SA500, which is not very metal.

I'm loving the Explorer shape, but I don't know if I should get the ESP LTD EX260 or the Epiphone 58 Explorer Ebony.
Slight price difference, loving them both.
But what goes best with the genre and is there a noticeable difference in quality?

Thoughts, suggestions?
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
dude look em up on youtube with ppl trying it to c what tone u like best that come out of em. other than that ahh i love the epi explorer better cuz of the body and it looks hella nice ltd is alright but u cant go wrong with ltd
i have the same amp as you (vox AD30VT), just use a different amp model, eq correctly and you have a metal tone.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
day ja vu
i just went through this it was between the fx260 and the same epiphone
i also love the explorer shape
but i went with the fx260
i ended up getting the last unopened one in the country (or so i was told)
mine is discontinued at esp but i agree with the other guy look around on youtube
good luck
either way i dont think it will be a bad decision
{[WD Punk]}
I have the EX260 and 2 Les Pauls, the EX has a better neck for thrashy riffs, and overall has a great feel. The pickups can be split which adds some versatility so thats nice.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Thanks a lot for your inputs. All very helpful :P

Think I'll go with the EX260, cause that was my first choice (just looked a bit cooler :P). Just wasn't sure about the quality of LTD guitars as I was of Epiphones quality.

And to randomhero93: I have found a pretty good metal tone on my amp, but because the neck is quite wide on a Yamaha SA500, it's not the good for metal. The SA500 also has a hollowbody, and I'm certain I can reach a better metaltone with a solidbody.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by Senor Kristian
Thanks a lot for your inputs. All very helpful :P

Think I'll go with the EX260, cause that was my first choice (just looked a bit cooler :P). Just wasn't sure about the quality of LTD guitars as I was of Epiphones quality.

And to randomhero93: I have found a pretty good metal tone on my amp, but because the neck is quite wide on a Yamaha SA500, it's not the good for metal. The SA500 also has a hollowbody, and I'm certain I can reach a better metaltone with a solidbody.

Ah, ok, I don't know Yamaha guitars too well, so i didn't know it was a hollow or semi-hollow body, now I know. but I would also go with the LTD here.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Try the Epi Tommy Iommi model SG (one of the G-400 series)- has very hot pups with lots of tone and made for metal.

I have one of their Les Paul SG's...I didn't really care for SG's before I bought this one, but I love it now. Very well made, can be set up very fast and low, and buckets of tone and sustain.

Look at the standard Epi G-400's, too.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Last edited by old mark at Sep 29, 2009,