So i finally have a good setup... Fender MIM Jazz through an Acoustic 200W 1x15 halfstack.... what are the best bass knob settings and amp settings for a killer reggae bass tone? I've been messing around a little, but cant find exactly what i'm looking for
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
neck pickup usually, boost lows and mids, maybe use flatwound strings. main thing you'll be wanting from the amp is a deep thumpy tone, so those suggestions will help you get that. add tone on your bass to your taste (how thumpy/dead you want it depends on you/band situation)
I'm not sure how much thump you can get with a Jazz. I'm sure you can get some with it, but probably not as much as a P. As for amp settings, throw on as much bass as you can without clipping. Personally I like to turn my highs up a little more than my mids because I have so much bass and don't want the highs to get tooo muddy.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
I'm not sure how much thump you can get with a Jazz. I'm sure you can get some with it, but probably not as much as a P. As for amp settings, throw on as much bass as you can without clipping. Personally I like to turn my highs up a little more than my mids because I have so much bass and don't want the highs to get tooo muddy.

**** yeah you can get thump with a jazz, I roll off my neck pickup during reggae breakdowns in my band, and put my pick away, but I keep my EQ with alot of bass (atleast 3 o'clock), mid at about 1 or 2 o'clock and my treble at about 3 o'clock. Your 1x15 should do a good job with alot of thump. be sure to pump your volume to fill up the room but not to destroy the projection of the other instruments
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
You can keep the pick, muted pickstyle works well in a reggae context. If you're a non-picker, thumbstyle yields a great reggae tone without any EQ-ing needed. Muted thumbstyle works even better.

On the actual bass, I would simply leave the tone tolled off, and then favour the neck pickup.

For the amp, I would begin by taking out the treble, then dialing in a little bit of bass. Coupled with the thumbstyle, should sound just fine.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Scoop the mids. You cant play bass without the smiley face

Actually, usually im against midscooping. But it works well for reggae because the instrumentation is usually light, and the bass has to play louder to fill the sound out. This means you can get that sweet tone and still be heard
Quote by the_underling
You can keep the pick, muted pickstyle works well in a reggae context. If you're a non-picker, thumbstyle yields a great reggae tone without any EQ-ing needed. Muted thumbstyle works even better.

On the actual bass, I would simply leave the tone tolled off, and then favour the neck pickup.

For the amp, I would begin by taking out the treble, then dialing in a little bit of bass. Coupled with the thumbstyle, should sound just fine.

that's true too. I was just saying what I do.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Scoop the mids. You cant play bass without the smiley face

Actually, usually im against midscooping. But it works well for reggae because the instrumentation is usually light, and the bass has to play louder to fill the sound out. This means you can get that sweet tone and still be heard

+1. Reggae is the only genre where having a somewhat muddy, indistinct tone fits nicely. You have to feel the thump far more than to distinguish between the notes - reggae bass is all about the rhythm rather than the exact melodies.

I suggest Bass at 2-3 o'clock, Low Mids at 11 o'clock, Mids at 10 o'clock, High Mids at 11 o'clock, and Treble at 1 o'clock (then fiddle until you get the sound you want) with the tone knob down lowish and using whichever pickup gives you the warmest tone.