Okayy, I want to be able to record me playing the guitar through my amp through the computer, but I want to know how to do it, i've no idea :/

My computer has SONAR Home Edition if that helps?

Hope someone can help me? It's been bugging me for ages..
Thanks!
Get an USB audio interface and read the manual. The easiest way...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

depending on what you get, Reaper software is free and downloadable from the internet. A mic, depending on what you get can range from $30(usb mic) to $200(sure SM-57) then you have to get the appropiate connections to hook it up to your computer, the usb mic should just go straight into your pc, and kind of hand held musician mic with a XRL has to go through a DI box then into a 1/4 in to a 1/8 in cable and into your mic input jack on your pc.
You can always just get some recording software, plug the guitar into the mic socket and record straight off the soundcard.
Doesn't produce the best results, but if you just want some basic recordings to chronicle your ideas it's fine.

For better recordings, better mics, better software, things that your guitar goes into before the computer (such as the Line6 toneport (is that what it's called? I'm a bit foggy on that stuff)) will increase your quality.

If you want to get some sampled loops or whatever to aid your music, something like Logic Pro 8 (think that's only for Macs though) or Cubase (for both windows and mac) would sort you, though these cost a bit (garageband is free, which does similar stuff, but that's only on macs).

Overall, I'd suggest lookin' into a mac
But seriously, windows computers are fine, but I personally find recording easier on Macs, plus, you have things like Protools, Logic Pro, Garageband (if you're strapped, but Rob Chappers did his first EP using it, and that turned out great) at your disposal.
Quote by ethan_hanus
depending on what you get, Reaper software is free and downloadable from the internet. A mic, depending on what you get can range from $30(usb mic) to $200(sure SM-57) then you have to get the appropiate connections to hook it up to your computer, the usb mic should just go straight into your pc, and kind of hand held musician mic with a XRL has to go through a DI box then into a 1/4 in to a 1/8 in cable and into your mic input jack on your pc.

Still need a mic preamp... :/

Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but most software doesn't do it for me, very sterile.

I wouldn't use a DI box, use an interface, this will take care of the input, preamp, and transfer to the computer, via firewire or usb.

EDIT: sorry, big pic is big, but you can see features...
Last edited by Rutch at Sep 28, 2009,
There are several different ways to record your guitar. You can use a microphone in front of your amp and capture the signal using your computer's sound card as others have mentioned. Alternatively, you can use a direct recording method (usually with some type of amp emulation hardware or software) to capture your guitar audio. The "USB audio interfaces" that have been mentioned are usually a step up from your computer's internal sound card, but essentially they perform the same function. If you're new to PC-based recording, I recommend starting with just your computer's sound card. If you get the hang of it and you're striving for better quality and/or more I/O options, you can always upgrade to a dedicated external audio interface. This is what I did recently. You can find more information about my recording methods on my website:

www.killrbuckeye.com
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye