because i have been very unfortunate i keep snapping my high e and that have evolved some kind of wierd of phobia of snapping it again.

Help please?

EDIT:
lol forgot to say the real point im really afraid of snapping the strings when i am bending the high e
Last edited by Pinch Harmonic at Sep 28, 2009,
Stop tuning it up so fast? Dont tune it above high e, and if it keeps snapping then use a lighter pick or sand the boots of the saddles, where the strings rest, its prolly got a sharp spot.

And if that dosent work, then keep alot of spare strings around.
what gauge you using as your 1st string? there may be a sharp burr somewhere. where does the string break mostly? (bridge, nut, in between?) and what brand string?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
also, it's a good idea to stretch the strings out before you put them on. Just take a sting and, with care, stretch it out. Sort of how you would take a string and pull it to make a snapping sound. Do, it gently, though. And with the high E, very gently as you can snap the string in two.

If you don't understand what I mean, I can try to explain it different.
Check out the saddle and make sure there's nothing that could abrade the string.
It may be your guitar, on my starter I had to change my strings like every two months being gently with them, with my godin I can do epic bends and I change them like every 6 months, and not because they snapped, but because they become rusted
You should be afraid... My brother snapped one of his high e's while tunning, hit him right in the eye.... He's never been the same....

And by that I mean he tunes the guitar so its not facing his face...
But seriously, theres probably a bur or something in the bridge saddle causing that string to break. It was like that on my brothers beginner guitar that I always used.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Yeah there's a problem, if you regularly snap any string at all there is a problem, there's some sort of burr or edge somewhere that is causing the string to weaken and break. If you can't find it take it to a pro (not guitar center, ask around for a real luthier).
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Like everyone else said, you most likely have a burr in the saddle. get a small, fine file and file it out a little.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
kay thanks for all tips, i dont think the string will break now but can anybody help me overcome my fear lol? Like how to think
Quote by Pinch Harmonic
kay thanks for all tips, i dont think the string will break now but can anybody help me overcome my fear lol? Like how to think

Therapists are about $120 an hour, might work
You never told us what guitar you're playing. What is it and does it have a tremolo? This would help a lot.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
dude I had the same phobia for like two weeks after I accidentally snapped 3 strings in 15 minutes on a school guitar. Okay, more or less by accident because I was ****ing around with the tuning cause I hate their crappy guitars, but yeah.
Well I suggest that you start using D'addario strings (More reliable) And that you tin the plain (unwound) strings' ball ends. Tinning is the process of soldering the part where they're wrapped and it makes them last longer.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Grow a pair.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Well I suggest that you start using D'addario strings (More reliable) And that you tin the plain (unwound) strings' ball ends. Tinning is the process of soldering the part where they're wrapped and it makes them last longer.

i've actually had the opposite experiance with D'addarios (9's and 10's). they broke way too easily and i've gone through 3 or 4 brand new packs of them within a month before i settled on Ernie Ball strings which only need to be changed when I want to change them, not when they break, because I haven't had a single Ernie Ball string break on me yet (knock on wood)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
i've actually had the opposite experiance with D'addarios (9's and 10's). they broke way too easily and i've gone through 3 or 4 brand new packs of them within a month before i settled on Ernie Ball strings which only need to be changed when I want to change them, not when they break, because I haven't had a single Ernie Ball string break on me yet (knock on wood)

Seriously? I never had that problem, I just use D'Addarios because they feel good and are color coded. Good for sliding on and they don't break on my guitars, Earnie Ball strings however don't seem as good for sliding on. Then again the last time I put any unused ones on my Tele they had been sitting out for ages, I may have to try them again.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Quote by Gargoyle2500
Seriously? I never had that problem, I just use D'Addarios because they feel good and are color coded. Good for sliding on and they don't break on my guitars, Earnie Ball strings however don't seem as good for sliding on. Then again the last time I put any unused ones on my Tele they had been sitting out for ages, I may have to try them again.

seriously. I always tuned to E Standard or Drop D with the D'addarios and not only did the first string break, but the 3rd and the 4th string have broken as well. with 9's and 10's. but then i used Ernie Balls and they lasted me as long as i wanted them on the guitar.

oh, and before you say i might've had a burr somewhere, I must say that I used Ernie Balls before the short switch to D'addario and they were fine. they never broke. I only switched because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. but as soon as the started breaking on me, i switched back to Ernie Ball. best strings in the world IMO. I'm now strung with 11-54's in D Standard or Drop C.
Quote by pedromiles101
Question about D'addarios... Are they color coded for each set, like the high E in each set regardless of size is the same color, or are they color coded by size?
Quote by potatohead_33
Question about D'addarios... Are they color coded for each set, like the high E in each set regardless of size is the same color, or are they color coded by size?

color coded by string order.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
color coded by string order.

Bummer, I thought it would be an easy way to see which size were on a given guitar from the factory.
Quote by Pinch Harmonic
No tips on how to overcome the fear like how to think that it wont snap? lol

Just do what some people have said and have confidence that you installed your strings correctly and they have no reason to break unless they are really old.

I probably only break 3 strings a year these days. I made sure I learned how to install strings correctly to avoid that problem, and other problems.
Quote by randomhero93
seriously. I always tuned to E Standard or Drop D with the D'addarios and not only did the first string break, but the 3rd and the 4th string have broken as well. with 9's and 10's. but then i used Ernie Balls and they lasted me as long as i wanted them on the guitar.

oh, and before you say i might've had a burr somewhere, I must say that I used Ernie Balls before the short switch to D'addario and they were fine. they never broke. I only switched because I wanted to see what all the hype was about. but as soon as the started breaking on me, i switched back to Ernie Ball. best strings in the world IMO. I'm now strung with 11-54's in D Standard or Drop C.

I've no idea what to say. Just out of curiosity what guitar did you string up with them and does it have a tremolo? (Just curious)

Quote by Scissortooth
I probably only break 3 strings a year these days. I made sure I learned how to install strings correctly to avoid that problem, and other problems.

Yes, Put strings on properly. I'm not sure how the OP puts strings on but here is a video that has a part that shows a good way to tune up, It starts at 3:10. (The rest of the video talks about how to put strings in an acoustic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqem25TYyUQ
Always tin your strings.

_____

just did my first string change over the weekend. i had a problem with winding the strings too tight and ended up breaking the high e and g when trying to tune it. i have the opposite issue with the low e atm too...the device says its tuned but it feels alot more loose than i remember. still tryign to figure that out....

so i can understand the trouble. i felt pretty secure of myself up until they broke, now im scared its gonna snap if i look at em wrong. =P perserverience is all it takes, just remain positive...
Quote by Rick540

I LOL'ed at this but in all seriousness it probably is a good idea. The last string that broke scared that absolute **** out of me. It flung upwards and could have hit me in the face ... luckily it didnt... phew...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I just have 2-3 D'Addario packs handy so that if I do break a string I dont care, I'll either try putting it in again (I have floyd roses on all my guitars), or if they are a month or so old I'll just put new ones on.

Basically all I can say is stick a high E in and play it like you dont care if it snaps, do multiple outrageous bends (after you fix the saddle problem), and just play like your trying to break the string, if it breaks, how cares get a new string...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Pinch Harmonic
No tips on how to overcome the fear like how to think that it wont snap? lol

Seems to me you are just looking for some stupid responses from the UG crowd. We can't tell you how to think, we don't have that power. Yet.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro