I live in Cardiff, Wales during university semesters. Over the last 4 years I've seen 2 great gig venues close and another two might be about to go.

1st - The Coal Exchange. This was an amazing venue, it used to be a place for businessmen to do deals (apparently the first million pound deal was signed there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_Exchange). It got converted into a venue for different events. A lot of good music was played there. I saw Walter Trout (you're gonna hear a lot about him) perform there and I believe it was the last ever gig there. It was a great shame to lose it. However I wasn't worried as there were plenty of other places to go.
It got into problems over complains over noise. It is now being turned into a block of flats, a travesty.

2nd - The Point. This place was just round the corner from The Coal Exchange. Pretty decent place for a gig. Again saw Walter Trout perform there. It has also been closed because of noise complaints. The landlords paid a lot of money to soundproof it and got into a bit of debt, yet still there were complaints. I had booked tickets to see Oli Brown there (saw him supporting Walter Trout previously there.) and lost the money for that.

3rd - The Globe - This place used to be a theater I believe, recently converted to a music venue. I've seen Goldie Looking Chain there (hilarious) It's pretty small but a nice atmosphere. Sadly this has had it's music license removed (although it's still holding concerts :S) due to, yet again, sound complaints. This worries me as I am due to see... you guessed it, Walter Trout perform there in 2 weeks time. Now if he can't perform there anymore I really wonder where he's gonna go. The landlord has said he is trying to pay for better soundproofing.

There is the possibility of playing...

4th - Clwb Ifor Bach. Sadly this too has had noise complaints and cannot afford better sound proofing. So I worry it will be gone too soon.

After this there aren't any places smaller artists can really play in Cardiff as far as I know. The CIA is far too big, as is the Great Hall in the Student Union. After this there are pubs and nightclubs but they aren't always great. There are others, but none have the feel and atmosphere of places like The Coal Exchange.

So anyway my question is this ; Anyone else finding that their favourite music venues are being closed because of noise volume complaints and think it sucks?

TL;DR - A load of venues have been closed due to noise complaints, how about your town?

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Haven't read it yet but DUDE! I live in Cardiff too
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
In Saskatoon we have the Roxy, The Odeon, Cosmo, and Walkers. That's where all the current good shows are. We had this one place, Le Relais, but we got told no more shows there, as the singer of Callahan kicked a hole in the roof. Yeah. It was a great hardcore venue.
Quote by MightyAl
There once was a UG'er from Saskatoon
Who asked the Pit to do his homework
So I wrote him a limerick about wanking
That doesn't rhyme
And isn't really about wanking anyway.
the astoria was recently shut down to make way for the london olympic train rail thingy thats being built :/ there was something about that ****hole that warmed the heart
Quote by Blayney
I live in Cardiff, Wales during university semesters. Over the last 4 years I've seen 2 great gig venues close and another two might be about to go.

1st - The Coal Exchange. This was an amazing venue, it used to be a place for businessmen to do deals (apparently the first million pound deal was signed there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_Exchange). It got converted into a venue for different events. A lot of good music was played there. I saw Walter Trout (you're gonna hear a lot about him) perform there and I believe it was the last ever gig there. It was a great shame to lose it. However I wasn't worried as there were plenty of other places to go.
It got into problems over complains over noise. It is now being turned into a block of flats, a travesty.

2nd - The Point. This place was just round the corner from The Coal Exchange. Pretty decent place for a gig. Again saw Walter Trout perform there. It has also been closed because of noise complaints. The landlords paid a lot of money to soundproof it and got into a bit of debt, yet still there were complaints. I had booked tickets to see Oli Brown there (saw him supporting Walter Trout previously there.) and lost the money for that.

3rd - The Globe - This place used to be a theater I believe, recently converted to a music venue. I've seen Goldie Looking Chain there (hilarious) It's pretty small but a nice atmosphere. Sadly this has had it's music license removed (although it's still holding concerts :S) due to, yet again, sound complaints. This worries me as I am due to see... you guessed it, Walter Trout perform there in 2 weeks time. Now if he can't perform there anymore I really wonder where he's gonna go. The landlord has said he is trying to pay for better soundproofing.

There is the possibility of playing...

4th - Clwb Ifor Bach. Sadly this too has had noise complaints and cannot afford better sound proofing. So I worry it will be gone too soon.

After this there aren't any places smaller artists can really play in Cardiff as far as I know. The CIA is far too big, as is the Great Hall in the Student Union. After this there are pubs and nightclubs but they aren't always great. There are others, but none have the feel and atmosphere of places like The Coal Exchange.

So anyway my question is this ; Anyone else finding that their favourite music venues are being closed because of noise volume complaints and think it sucks?

TL;DR - A load of venues have been closed due to noise complaints, how about your town?

I saw Lacuna Coil at The Coal Exchange didn't know it got closed down or the point :S

And now Clwb Ifor Bach? Greatt, the only other places I can think of is Barfly and the CIA, wow I'm gunna have fun trying to get my band a gig lmao.
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
Quote by Blayney

Yes.

The council are on about closing down The Rainbow because ONE person complained about noise.

And they generally close the clubs/venues...
Can't think of any that have closed owing to noise complaints. The real problem is that many venues exert time constraints on shows so that they can have teenage discos afterwards. That's right, The Garage, I'm looking at you.
I think we've had a few close down due to noise. I read something about Gus' Pub being at risk a while back.
Quote by Thrace
I saw Lacuna Coil at The Coal Exchange didn't know it got closed down or the point :S

And now Clwb Ifor Bach? Greatt, the only other places I can think of is Barfly and the CIA, wow I'm gunna have fun trying to get my band a gig lmao.

Yup been closed for awhile, it sucks.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen