Ok, so I'm thinking of buying the Squier I want (it's alder body, sunburst with three single coils, maple fretboard) and then buying a loaded HSS scratchplate on ebay (which is also for a Squier, but has two single coil, one humbucker, and has the tone dials and volume dial on it)

I'd like to ask, how do you fit a loaded scratchplate? Do you have to take the pickups off or what? And also, will I need to cut a bigger hole in the Squier for the humbucker to fit properly?

Thanks!
You just take the old pickguard out and drop the new one in and solder two wires to the output jack. Sometimes you have to drill new holes for pickguard screws because they don't always line up.
you won't have to take the pickups off the pre-loaded pickguard, no.

just desolder the output jack and ground wire from the old one, and take it off

then put the new one in place, and solder the output jack back in, along with the bridge ground.

most squiers are routed for HSH, at least.. so you won't have to do any wood work
If it's routed for HSH, then why isn't there a big hole around the pickups? Thanks for the help guys, now the other thing I want to ask is, do you think it woud be possible to fit the new scratchplate and pickups WITHOUT removing the strings? I know this sounds silly but I don't know how to fit strings, thanks
lol, no, you have to take the strings off to fit it, otherwise you cant get into the cavity. Restringing is very easy, and you should prolly learn it quick if you plan on playing alot.

But inside the cavity, does it have a larger space in the front and back and small space in the middle, or is it just 3 small spaces?
Quote by Eurozeppelin
If it's routed for HSH, then why isn't there a big hole around the pickups? Thanks for the help guys, now the other thing I want to ask is, do you think it woud be possible to fit the new scratchplate and pickups WITHOUT removing the strings? I know this sounds silly but I don't know how to fit strings, thanks

So you're jumping up to fairly advanced mods (requiring a soldering iron) before you've even learned how to change your strings????

C'Mon man....

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Hah! Now that you put it like that, it sounds ridiculous! But I've used a soldering iron before, so shouldn't be too difficult. I'd really like to avoid this, but I can't buy a Squier fat strat in sunburst with an alder body, but I can get an SSS sunburst in that colour, and refit it with HSS setups. So anyway, do you think it's possible, seriously?
Yes it's possible...

But seriousely...

Not trying to be insulting, because we all were beginners at one time or another.

letting the fact that you haven't mastered changing your strings yet, you probably don't have much ear for tone yet either. Again, not meant as an insult, just beginning...and I may also be wrong, some people are born "tone chasers".

And you're getting a starters guitar (nothing wrong with squier, but it ain't a cadillac you know).

Just learn how to play, and get the feeling for your electric guitar, before you start worrying about the type of pickups in your guitar..

That's serious advice, not meant to sound mean or anything.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 28, 2009,
Hmm, OK, I respect your advice, thanks for that. I am learning, it's true, but I'd just like to raise one point:

You call a Squier a starter guitar, but couldn't an alder body Squier, fitted with Fender pickups, be very similar to an actual Fender? I might be wrong, but it seems to me that there isn't much difference apart from the name.

Sorry if I'm wrong, just a beginner
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm, OK, I respect your advice, thanks for that. I am learning, it's true, but I'd just like to raise one point:

You call a Squier a starter guitar, but couldn't an alder body Squier, fitted with Fender pickups, be very similar to an actual Fender? I might be wrong, but it seems to me that there isn't much difference apart from the name.

Sorry if I'm wrong, just a beginner

You will just have better electronics, the craftmanship will still be kinda crappy and it will still have bad hardware (bridge, tuners etc), so I seriously think you wopuld be better saving for a guitar that's actually good out of the box.