Hi, my Technical Death Metal band is planning on producing a demo for a myspace. I will trigger my Kick Drum through my module, however we will most likely only have access to one mic, possibly two. My Drum Kit consists of 3 Rack Toms, 2 Floor Toms, Snare and a Kick Drum. As the Kicks triggered we dont need a mic for the kick, so Would 2 mics be enough for the rest of the kit?

Thanks for any help
not really, you couldn't just have overheads coz all youd record is cymbols...erm...need one of the snare for sure and u could try and find a place for the second that got a good mix of the rest of the kit but its never gonna sound too good
When my band did recording, our drummer (who has the same set-up as you) had 5 mics on the drums. (one between every two toms, snare and bass drum.) We also used 3 condensor mics to pick up cymbals and room ambience.

Two mics is not gonna yield a very good result, but it will work to say the least.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
having a mic on ur hi hat isn't a necessity because u can still hear it well through 2 over head mics which r just important as having a snare mic. if u want ur toms to shine through the mix ur gonna want 3 tom mics. 2 for the 3 hi toms and 2 on the floor toms.
for ur over heads u want 2 condensers, ur snare (toms too) any kind of dynamic mic like an sm57, ur hihat will need a condensor too
Ideally your looking at 4 mics in total.

Kick, Snare and two Overheads.

so with the triggered kick, then thats just Snare and 2x Overheads.

for technical death i would strongly recommend close-micing the toms too, or at least put some triggers on there, but the 4 (or in this case, 3 ) mic setup should get you most of the way there.
but for ur demo i think u should be fine with 3 mics. 2 overheads and one snare since ur gonna have complete control of ur kick level and its good to have the snare and kick at good level ratios. if u try to make ur snare louder through the overhead mics (while mixing) u'll realize the cymbals r way too loud and the snare is still much too thin. so try to score an sm57
if you've only got 2 mics, i suggest you do one of two things:
1. room mic (or overhead) the entire kit, then replace the drums in your DAW
2. record in parts. i.e. room mic first, then mic up the snare and kick, then toms, etc.

my absolute minimum i use for a good sound is about 8.
Quote by sjilie
having a mic on ur hi hat isn't a necessity because u can still hear it well through 2 over head mics which r just important as having a snare mic. if u want ur toms to shine through the mix ur gonna want 3 tom mics. 2 for the 3 hi toms and 2 on the floor toms.
for ur over heads u want 2 condensers, ur snare (toms too) any kind of dynamic mic like an sm57, ur hihat will need a condensor too

No offense but do you realize that your grammar constant use of "ur" instead of "your" would cause me to immediately ignore anything you would say?

On topic.. Two mics will not sound good.

A good man once told me, "Two (or three) toms or GTFO". Seriously, five toms is retarded.

Here is what is ideal.

Kick: (triggered)
Snare: Dynamic Mic
Overheads: 2 Condensers
Toms 1-5: Depends (see note.)
Room: 2 mics (see note.)

Overall, you're looking either 10 microphones, unless you're going with the minimum which would be 3 microphones which I really, REALLY do not recommend.

With the toms, you CAN close mic them with dynamics which I highly suggest with your genre. Try take out as many toms as you can if you don't have the mics or input options: what's more important to you, the clarity of the recording or having an obscene amount of toms that will all sound pretty ****ty?

Room mics would be a bonus. Use whatever you have left, but it would be nice if they matched (2 dynamics or 2 condensers). Doesn't matter TOO much seeing as they'll be relatively quiet in the mix.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Ok thanks for the feedback and help

But why is 5 toms retarded? Just like you guys enjoy your large number of frets for more variety, I use 5 toms for variety in fills and grooves which rely on the toms. if they were all similar size I oculd possibly see the point, but I use a 8,10,12,14,16 set up.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
you don't have a channel for each fret :3

Haha true for recording I guess :P
9 Mics minimum. But, 4 piece kits FTW.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410