I want to get rid of the pickup rings on my guitar and just mount the pickups on the wood. How exactly would I go about doing this?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
What kind of guitar is it?
If it's got shallow pickup rings you might be ok, but with something like a LP where the bridge ring is quite deep I don't think you'll be able to do it.
You might have to fill up the cavities a bit if it does have deep cavities.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
It has fairly deep cavities (I think - I really don't have anything to compare them to), but what I've seen/heard about is a piece of foam placed underneath the pickup or springs put on the screws.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
^ foam of some kind would be the way to go.

my p-bass has foam, kinda like you find on some in-ear headphones. it's fairly easy to compress, but goes back to it's original shape when you take the pressure off. so it holds the pickup up to a maximum height, then when you tighten the screws, it just compresses it further down.

I don't remember what I used on my 7 string, but it was a similar material I found lying around..

you can probably find the right foam at like, a craft store or something.

one thing to consider, though.. is that when you take the mounting rings off, you'll be left with the 4 holes that hold it into the body. which may not be very attractive.
if you've got a guitar with a solid colour finish, it might not be too hard to fill them in, and go over them with a dab of paint that matches the finish. but with a natural finish, it might be tougher. still do-able, though.