So i met this guitarist/singer and bassist who are forming a prog style band. All sounded good initially (always does) then the singer said he wanted to rehearse near him (outwith the city...its 5 mins for him and 1 hour 20 mins for the other 3 of us).

Additionally we arranged to practice 4 covers to get us started. He has decided just to practice the one he suggested even though we had learned the other 3 (i knew this would be futile but didnt say anything). He also told me to practice one of his songs (9 mins long) which i was happy to do, but his guitar was so badly out of tune i couldnt jam along (im on keyboards). I asked him to redo it and he just ignored my request when he emailed back.

So now i hear his voice and its pretty below par. Just pretty weak. I have other singer friends but i dont want to tell someone i dont know that his singing sucks. I also was informed he got a female drummer...which im not sexist about because i had a female drum teacher but for prog rock/metal she will probably be weak. In addition the bassist is in his Uni final year and is going to be unavailable a lot and leaves the UK next year anyway so that looks like future lineup issues.

What do you think, should i pursue this or forget about it? There are hardly any bands in out area especially prog.
Last edited by lucertia. at Sep 28, 2009,
Don't count the drummer out just yet. She could be really great.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I would say go with it, but if it gets into more **** than it's in now, drop it. Fast.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

If There Are so Many Problems With This Group, Than Why Would You Consider It? Start Your Own Band Or Something. You Could Probobly Even Convince The Other Members To Jump Ship For Your band.
It does sound like more trouble than its worth, but if you're willing to roll with it for a bit longer then try and get along with it, but if anything else bad crops up, get out of there.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by punkrocker22
If There Are so Many Problems With This Group, Than Why Would You Consider It? Start Your Own Band Or Something. You Could Probobly Even Convince The Other Members To Jump Ship For Your band.

I had considered that. but ive had many problems getting guys for my own band. Guitar player moved away, bassist was into drugs and was mega unreliable, no one would learn the tunes and with prog rock its impossible to learn stuff inside the rehersal room.
If the singer sucks, and only wants it his way, then tell him.
If you`re affraid to tell you`re on the wrong way mate. A band is made out of 3/4/5/6 persons with all their different styles and influences. The band should have a piece of everyone`s style. And find another practice room, 1h20 is way too long dude...
if its an hour an 20mins for 3 of you to get to the guy youll spend more time travelling than you will playing. Essentially it depends whether you can see yourself in a band with this him, if not theres always more guitarists out there.
=MAY THE HAND OF GOD STRIKE THEM DOWN=

+Rip Dimebag+

Gear:

Ibanez RG170
Epiphone SG Standard G400
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Boss V-WAH
Digitech Whammy
Spider Line 6 II 30W
yeah, you have to allow everyone's style into the mix but you have to make music that you agree on
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by lucertia.
for prog rock/metal she will probably be weak.

Uh oh, Fassa is going to be pissed!

Wait, why the fvck do I care?
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by turtlewax
yeah, you have to allow everyone's style into the mix but you have to make music that you agree on

well there is no disagreement on what music to do, but i just thought it was a bit ignorant to ASK US initially to suggest a cover we want then abandon it. i feel like i dont want to practice his ****ty cover just out of spite but thats crazy because a) i dont know the guy and we havent even jammed.