Page 1 of 2
I live in Canada and just got a letter from the Attorney General saying I have been considered for jury duty. I have to fill out a questionaire...but its still possible.

The one thing I find absolutely absurd is that if you dont fill out the form and mail it back within 6 days, you could get fined up to $5000 and/or face 6 months is jail. WHAT~!? Thats ridiculous!!!
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
You lucky bastard. I pray for the day when i get jury duty just as long as it is some mental case with murder, drugs and bombs.
Lol @ people who want Jury Duty.

I bet you've never had it before.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Sucks to be you.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Greenie_777
You lucky bastard. I pray for the day when i get jury duty just as long as it is some mental case with murder, drugs and bombs.

Or a case where a whole town got posioned when their supply of milkbags was mysteriously taken over by the russian mafia.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I remember my Mom had it last year and she said it was awful. Though she had a case of peadophilia which can't have helped her mood. I'm not looking forward to ever being picked for it. Unless it's like 12 angry men and I become a hero ... but it wont be.
Quote by 365_days_gone
Why does it suck!?

Basically your gonna sit in a room hearing endless detail and legal terms for a few days and not really have an idea of what is going on.
Quote by 365_days_gone
Why does it suck!?

It's not going to be like an episode of CSI on tv, it's probably going to be a boring trivial case.
Quote by Greenie_777
Basically your gonna sit in a room hearing endless detail and legal terms for a few days and not really have an idea of what is going on.

Then what happens? Do all the jurors sit in a room deciding on whther the person is guilty or not?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
My Dad had it once. Some guy had a party and some bloke came over and caused trouble. The host asked him to leave but he wouldn't, so stuff happened and the host punched him. The host won the case.

EDIT:

Do what they did on the Simpsons and purposely disagree so you can spend the night in a nice hotel.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by 365_days_gone
Why does it suck!?

Because it's not going to be any kind of important case, probably something stupid like a kid who is truant or something, and it will involve hours of sitting and listening to **** you don't care about.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Quote by RU Experienced?
It's not going to be like an episode of CSI on tv, it's probably going to be a boring small claims civil suit.

There is no Jury in most civil cases and smaller crimes are judged my magistrates. It will be a fairly serious crime although still most probably very tedious.
Quote by Greenie_777
There is no Jury in most civil cases and smaller crimes are judged my magistrates. It will be a fairly serious crime although still most probably very tedious.

Yeah, I realized my fail right after I posted it, you're quick to the draw.

I was up until 5 am forging observational notes for a paper
Sooooooo its no fun? How does everyone feel about having to go to jail if you dont mail in the form? Kind of ridiculous, yes?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by aaciseric
I remember my Mom had it last year and she said it was awful. Though she had a case of peadophilia which can't have helped her mood. I'm not looking forward to ever being picked for it. Unless it's like 12 angry men and I become a hero ... but it wont be.

Your mum was a paedophile?
Quote by 365_days_gone
Sooooooo its no fun? How does everyone feel about having to go to jail if you dont mail in the form? Kind of ridiculous, yes?

Incredibly ridiculous. I mean fining is one thing but going to jail? Whoooaaah.

Anyways, tell them you're an atheist, it gets you out of jury duty in some places.
Read his post again. He didn't say become an atheist, he said say you're an atheist to get out of a really crap job.
But being a Christian, if I was to claim to be an atheist, I would not only be offending God, but I would also be lying...
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Couldn't you just tell them you know the defendant personally and get out of doing it?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
That again is a lie.

I kind of want to do it, but I just read that they call on you in front of everyone...makes me nervous.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
That again is a lie.

I kind of want to do it, but I just read that they call on you in front of everyone...makes me nervous.

What do you mean? Do they like point at people in the jury screaming "Hey, you, with the sex pistols t-shirt and yuppie hair! HOW CAN YOU BE A YUPPIE AND LISTEN TO SEX PISTOLS??!?"
Just say "He has to be guilty if hes on trial here"

That'll get you out of the situation.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by 365_days_gone
That again is a lie.

So you want to dodge your civil duty, but you're worried about lying? Best of luck with that ...

Though I suppose you could contract leprosy. They definately wont want you then.
"i cant reed or rite"

Congratulations, you are now out of jury duty.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Say you're at risk of contracting swine flu.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
Quote by H3llboy13
say that you cant because of religious and moral reasons?

Or rather, for political and moral reasons.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Is simply declining not an option? If so, I'd just make up some weird answers on the questionnaire, I don't know, say your race is "orc" or something.

It sounds like you are actually kind of keen to do it though, but I wouldn't if I were you, not only would it likely be very boring, trial by jury is a deeply flawed system and I wouldn't want any part of it.

Here is an interesting essay by Richard Dawkins on the subject, explaining these flaws:

http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/Dawkins/Work/Articles/1997-11-16trialbyjury.shtml
Ah, jury duty. As mum once said "If you ever get a questionnaire, fill out every question as 'I hate (insert racial slur here)"

So do that. And you're out.
If 4 more people tell me to go back to writing The Vanishing Point, I will.

UG's Commie Pinko Bedwetter
if youre an opinionated person you probably wont get picked. the tend to pick wishy-washy people who can be swayed one way or the other. speak in definite terms. such and such is always wrong. there is never a justification for such and such.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I would hate to do jury duty because they select people who have no chance of knowing what the case is about, to remove bias from a decision. So basically you have to sit for a couple days and listen to all this stuff put in front of you by lawyers, and you have no idea whether it's right or wrong, and you basically have to make a decision that will affect everyone involved in a big way, you could be sending someone to jail for life who was innocent, or getting someone off of a rape rap that they actually committed. How the hell would that make you feel? Me personally I would feel like shit.
Quote by st.stephen
I would hate to do jury duty because they select people who have no chance of knowing what the case is about, to remove bias from a decision. So basically you have to sit for a couple days and listen to all this stuff put in front of you by lawyers, and you have no idea whether it's right or wrong, and you basically have to make a decision that will affect everyone involved in a big way, you could be sending someone to jail for life who was innocent, or getting someone off of a rape rap that they actually committed. How the hell would that make you feel? Me personally I would feel like shit.

if you're talking about whether the facts are true or false then you have to use the evidence to decide that.

if you mean morally right/wrong you don't really have much say over that. Your purpose is to decide whether or not the defendant committed a crime, the details of which will be explained to you.

The fine is to stop people everyone just ignoring it. the system we have NEEDS people to do jury duty, if it wasn't mandatory the system couldn't work. Jail is a bit OTT IMO but I doubt it's common.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Page 1 of 2