Page 1 of 2
Someone was talking about playing a grade 5 song in another thread, to get into a music academy.

That made me wonder...

What are some good grade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 songs?

Im assuming it would be like this:

Grade 1: Very Beginner songs
Grade 2: Beginner Songs
Grade 3: Beginner-Intermediate Songs
Grade 4: Intermediate Songs
Grade 5: Intermediate-Advanced Songs
Grade 6: Advanced Songs
Grade 7: Advanced-Master Songs
Grade 8: Master Songs
Grade 9: Master-Virtuiso Songs
Grade 10: Virtuiso Songs

so...

What do you guys recommend in your opinions? Ive only playing guitar for exactly 1 year now, I would love to move up this tier system and get to at least grade 7.

Heres some examples I could think of:

Grade 1: Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins, Horse With No Name by America
Grade 2: Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots, Would by AIC
Grade 3: House of the Rising Sun by Animals
Grade 4: Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppellin, Sweet Child Of Mine by GNR
Grade 5: Fade to Black by Metallica
Grade 6: Bark at the Moon by Ozzy, Crazy Train by Ozzy
Grade 7: Canon Rock by JerryC
Grade 8: Through the Fire and Flames by DragonForce
Grade 9: I know your Here by Steve Vai
Grade 10: For the Love of God by Steve Vai, Black Star by Yngwie Malmsteen

For those guys with more experience than me (than means most of you guys on here), please feel free to expand and criticize this list
It actually only goes Grade 1 - 8.

Though I'm doing Grade 8, and at least the given pieces aren't exactly Steve Vai difficulty.

And I actually did Fade To Black for my Grade 5, so good choice there.
Quote by blue_strat
It actually only goes Grade 1 - 8.

Though I'm doing Grade 8, and at least the given pieces aren't exactly Steve Vai difficulty.

And I actually did Fade To Black for my Grade 5, so good choice there.

Considering I dont live in london and for the sake of more diversity and easier transitions, why not not split it further into 10 grade systems?

Also what would you recommend for Grade 5 Songs?

The transition from Grade 5 to Grade 6 to me is the hardest, but I think once I do that i can easily make it to 8 maybe
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
God Grade: Fracture's moto perpetuo by King Crimson, also FraKctured.

Wow lol nice, hopefully one day i can do that.

For the beginners in this section what do you guys recommend for Grade 1-5?
Quote by Heathbb
Considering I dont live in london and for the sake of more diversity and easier transitions, why not not split it further into 10 grade systems?

I don't live in London either (Greater London only holds 13% of the UK population FYI), but fine.
Quote by Heathbb

But then again, why split it? There's already a system laid out for 1-8, no need to do extra work to do 1-10.
In my experience with piano, grade 8 is by no way the most complicated stuff ever. There's a song I'm doing this year that's grade 8, and I could have done it two or three years ago. There's another song I'm working on now (Gideon Klein 'Sonata' if you're interested) that is way being grade 8.
So basically, chances are grade 8 isn't going to be the hardest song.
Remember as you go to grade 6 that you should be knowing theory as well.
As for grade 5-6 songs, I'd say a large majority of Metallica songs, probably some Iron Maiden and some other NWOBHM. Some Eric Clapton would probably fall under there for your bluesier side as well.
Quote by Baby Joel
But then again, why split it? There's already a system laid out for 1-8, no need to do extra work to do 1-10.
In my experience with piano, grade 8 is by no way the most complicated stuff ever.

Indeed.

The criteric description in my Grade 8 book is:
Grade 8: you will play effortlessly with a wide range of physical and expressive techniques at your command. You will be able to use these at will across a range of styles and musical contexts. You will be comfortable playing pieces employing a number of different time signatures (including changes from bar to bar) and you will display mastery of a number of musical styles. Your solos will be highly musical and employ techniques across the range. You will also be highly sensitive to all aspects of musical presentation

There are different, less demanding descriptions of Grade 6 and Grade 7. I'm not going to type those up, because I'm currently stoned.

But notice that virtuosic technical skill and speed is never mentioned, and having that technical capability doesn't necessarily mean you have the musicianship and musicality that it describes.
Last edited by blue_strat at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
Indeed.

The criteric description in my Grade 8 book is:

There are different, less demanding descriptions of Grade 6 and Grade 7. I'm not going to type those up, because I'm currently stoned.

But notice that virtuosic technical skill and speed is never mentioned, and having that technical capability doesn't necessarily mean you have the musicianship and musicality that it describes.

hmm i have no knowledge of music theory besides a few scales and the chromatic scale, so there could be a problem for me =/
Quote by Heathbb
hmm i have no knowledge of music theory besides a few scales and the chromatic scale, so there could be a problem for me =/
Not a problem, just something else to learn Theory is good to know anyway - it can make life a lot simpler if you want to write your own stuff or improvise, or even just jamming with a few friends as it makes it easier to communicate ideas to other musicians.
Once you complete Grade 8, you can go further to complete AMus and ElMus, etcetc.
Not sure if that's the way anywhere else.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Once you complete Grade 8, you can go further to complete AMus and ElMus, etcetc.
Not sure if that's the way anywhere else.

You can do Diplomas and Degrees in the UK on an instrument.
Quote by Heathbb

The transition from Grade 5 to Grade 6 to me is the hardest, but I think once I do that i can easily make it to 8 maybe

In Australia, you can do AmusA then LMusA after Grade 8. They're actual degrees (you can put the letters after your name), there are some kids at my school who their AMusA's in primary school, musical prodigies. Not on guitar though.
Quote by Heathbb

Because it's been an 8 grade system for ages...
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
There isn't really song structures to become a virtuoso. Like blue strat said, it's about having a command and knowledge of music, and your instrument, You need to know what you're doing. Sweeping patterns at 210bpm isn't going to wow anyone. Using things in context and being a great musician is what being a virtuoso is all about...
I live in Estonia and level of music is here really though . We have children music school , where is 7 grades( 7 years ) . Then comes music high school ( 3 years ) and then music academy ( 3 years ).
I played black star already in children music school at my 3 . year and what do you think how good has to be a person who is going to music academy ?
So , this 8 - grade foreign country music system sucks !
Quote by jemeput
how would u define a virtuoso song at the first place? Dun say you will judge it by looking at the person who compose it...

Guitarists have a rather different perception of the virtuoso compared to the general public. I have seen Matt Bellamy and John Frusciante both described as virtuosi in music publications, but no doubt there are many "shredders" who would sniff at such descriptions.
I wouldn't call Matt Bellamy or John Frusciante virtuosi simply because they lack the sheer technical skill that a virtuoso commands. That is not to say, however, that they write and play badly - far from it. Some good examples of virtuosi today are John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Corey Beaulieu, Satch, and Vai.
Quote by Geldin
I wouldn't call Matt Bellamy or John Frusciante virtuosi simply because they lack the sheer technical skill that a virtuoso commands. That is not to say, however, that they write and play badly - far from it. Some good examples of virtuosi today are John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Corey Beaulieu, Satch, and Vai.

lol***
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
What? The guy really good. Having listened to their music and seeing the actual tablature and sheet music for it, I've concluded that he's a virtuoso or thereabouts. Certainly not quite as good as the other guys I mentioned, but that was from the top of my head. Others include Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, and Chris Broderick among others.
Definitely. I certainly wouldn't claim to know of every virtuoso guitarist. I know a couple, though.
Quote by Ikonoklast
There isn't really song structures to become a virtuoso. Like blue strat said, it's about having a command and knowledge of music, and your instrument, You need to know what you're doing. Sweeping patterns at 210bpm isn't going to wow anyone. Using things in context and being a great musician is what being a virtuoso is all about...

I agree with this. For example, Paul Gilbert is widely regarded (rightly so!) as being a virtuoso. But if take one of his harder songs, say Technical Difficulties, and work your tail off until you have the SOB down really tight, this unfortunately still doesn't make you a virtuoso even though that song was written by one, it just means that you are a very skilled guitarist. I would say that if you could sight read a song of that difficulty at full tempo, with few to no mistakes, then you are probably starting to get into the ballpark - but even then that only covers the pure technical skill part of the equation, you have to be equally adept at applying that skill to make music. Which is why the theory that it takes 10,000 hrs of focused practice to reach that level of ability probably isn't too far from the truth.
I suppose everything really depends on what each individual defines a virtuoso as. For me, a virtuoso is someone who has the skill to play very complex sections and also has the knowledge and creativity to write and play music with feeling. As a result, I would consider Petrucci to be a virtuoso because he can play very complex things like In the Name of God, but he can also play with feeling like the solo for Lines in the Sand. However, I don't consider Michael Angelo Batio to be a virtuoso because I don't feel anything from his music. Sure he has the skill to play fast and difficult songs, but I just don't feel the music. I just hear a fast flurry of notes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Geldin
What? The guy really good. Having listened to their music and seeing the actual tablature and sheet music for it, I've concluded that he's a virtuoso or thereabouts. Certainly not quite as good as the other guys I mentioned, but that was from the top of my head. Others include Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, and Chris Broderick among others.

I'm not being funny or trying to be patronising, but you've regularly said you've only been playing for a year. Just from my own experience, i thought players who weren't actually amazing were when i was playing for that long. That guy from Trivium is extremely far from a virtuoso. Not only for the fact that he's still young and actually doesn't possess awesome technical skill, but that no-one's ever really heard or seen him play any sort of style except the Trivium style. This in mind you can't really determine him a virtuoso from seeing the tablature for Trivium's music.
Actually i am a beginner.. I play 1 and a half week Since my cousin gave me he's Electric Guitar and i know Very good ---- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppellin, Sweet Child Of Mine by GNR ... So it quite depends on how talented you are..
Quote by Ikonoklast
I'm not being funny or trying to be patronising, but you've regularly said you've only been playing for a year. Just from my own experience, i thought players who weren't actually amazing were when i was playing for that long. That guy from Trivium is extremely far from a virtuoso. Not only for the fact that he's still young and actually doesn't possess awesome technical skill, but that no-one's ever really heard or seen him play any sort of style except the Trivium style. This in mind you can't really determine him a virtuoso from seeing the tablature for Trivium's music.

My own playing experience is far outweighed by my listening experience. I might have been incorrect in calling him a virtuoso, but I think he certainly has the potential to reach that level - technique-wise, I suspect he doesn't have particularly far to go. As for writing music, we'll see what the future holds. And no worries about being patronizing - I'm not as thin skinned as some people on the internet.
Quote by Conca121
Actually i am a beginner.. I play 1 and a half week Since my cousin gave me he's Electric Guitar and i know Very good ---- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppellin, Sweet Child Of Mine by GNR ... So it quite depends on how talented you are..

From what I can tell from that mockery of the English language, you are saying that you have been playing for a week and a half and you can play Stairway, and Sweet Child.

No. Just no. I don't care how much of a prodigy you are, you won't be able to play those after just a week and a half. You might be able to play the intro or the main riff, but that doesn't mean you can play the song.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Geldin
My own playing experience is far outweighed by my listening experience. I might have been incorrect in calling him a virtuoso, but I think he certainly has the potential to reach that level - technique-wise, I suspect he doesn't have particularly far to go. As for writing music, we'll see what the future holds. And no worries about being patronizing - I'm not as thin skinned as some people on the internet.

Yeah i agree with you. He has potential definitely. I wouldn't mind his skills. He's just a loooooooong way off it at the moment.
I think you have to be versed in a number of different styles. I dont consider some guys like paul gilbert or MAB virtuosos as they cant play that well in every genre. Virtuoso is thrown around alot these days.
I'm very interested in this 10/8 grade concept. I've been playing guitar seriously for almost 5 years, and I feel very under skilled regarding my experience. Where's the original list?
Grade 1: Iron Man
Grade 2: Smells Like Team Spirit
Grade 3: Am I Evil? - Metallica (No Solo)
Grade 4: Am I Evil? - Metallica (With Solo)
Grade 5: Enter Sandman - Metallica
Grade 6: Shortest Straw - Metallica
Grade 7: Megadeth - Holy Wars
Grade 8: Megadeth - 1,320
Grade 9: Death - To Forgive Is To Suffer
Grade 10: Children Of Bodom - Kissing The Shadows
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by Elden G20
I think you have to be versed in a number of different styles. I dont consider some guys like paul gilbert or MAB virtuosos as they cant play that well in every genre. Virtuoso is thrown around alot these days.

What about a classical violinist that specializes in Paganini pieces? Are they not virtuosi (assuming they play the pieces well)?

Genre does not dictate whether someone is a virtuoso. Technical skill does. That's it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Bornlivedie UK
God Grade: Fracture's moto perpetuo by King Crimson, also FraKctured.

Thats a hard one. A really hard one.

What would the Song Stabwound By Necrophagist fall under? I need to know how good I would have to be to be Given admission to a Music college.
Ive heard of People Who have been given Entirely paid for admission to Music Colleges, because they have been so Skilled.
Quote by vulcan422
Grade 1: Iron Man
Grade 2: Smells Like Team Spirit
Grade 3: Am I Evil? - Metallica (No Solo)
Grade 4: Am I Evil? - Metallica (With Solo)
Grade 5: Enter Sandman - Metallica
Grade 6: Shortest Straw - Metallica
Grade 7: Megadeth - Holy Wars
Grade 8: Megadeth - 1,320
Grade 9: Death - To Forgive Is To Suffer
Grade 10: Children Of Bodom - Kissing The Shadows

w00t according to you I'm grade 10 *proud*

I have nothing more to say.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
w00t according to you I'm grade 10 *proud*

I have nothing more to say.

The first time I saw that solo in guitar pro, I wanted to put my guitar down and never touch it again.
Well all these lists are...not the greatest. I would say Selkies is harder than For the Love of God.

Also, Tosin Abasi is a great example of a shredder. He would be a 53/10 on this list. He is truly incredible.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Page 1 of 2