So I was watching a Rob Chappers vid where he goes down to Marshall and tries out the Marshall Class 5. He plays it as a combo and it sounded alright but then he played it through a 4x12 and it sounded amazing. So is there really that much difference in sound when playing a 4x12 compared to a 1x12.

Here's the link for the vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFRmlPw3cY (4:26 is about when he starts playing the combo, then about 5:12 is when he plugs into 4x12 cab)

Cheers,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
If my understanding of such things is correct, it isn't about it being a 1x12 vs a 4x12 but rather the quality of speakers in the 4x12 cab are surely much better quality, ergo a much better tone. Idk exactly what speakers were in that particular 4x12 but I'll bet most things that they're better than the one that's stock in the combo.
A 4x12 compared to a 1x12 will have much more headroom and more dynamics, thats why they sound so much better.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
I was looking at getting a used 4x12 with G12M's
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Jak Archer
I was looking at getting a used 4x12 with G12M's
G12's are my favourite speaker types. With a quality sounding amp a 4x12 version will lend sweet tones.
As for as I know, however, it's hard to come by 2x12/1x12's with G12's in them. I could be wrong, though.
A 4x12 will give you a rounder sound, and there will be more air pushed forward, thus increasing the proposed amount of sound you're receiving as the listener.

edit: MonkeyLord ftw!
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Sep 28, 2009,
it's a big difference, but it depends on the tone you're after, too. for hard rock and heavier i prefer the tone of a 4x12. but for lighter stuff, open backed cabs (or combos) can be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
4 top notch speakers will sound better than 1 rubbish one!

lots of people think 212 is a happy medium
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.