So for the past couple of weeks I've been looking at guitars, amps, I've been switching from wanting this guitar and this amp to wanting this other guitar to wanting this other amp for my first guitar/amp, etc. And instead of getting like a Peavey Vypyr and a Dean Vendetta XM, I'm thinking of getting one of those starter pack things.

This one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-Pack-620086-i1452630.gc

Now I don't know how much I'll like guitar, so what I'm thinking is that everything in that pack is good the guitar is pretty good, but the amp looks like utter crap. If I got the Peavy Vypyr and The Dean Vendetta XM, it would be $220, and that's without any of the other accessories that the starter pack comes with. I don't even know if I'll really like playing guitar. So if I get that pack, then later down the road if I like playing guitar then I will keep the guitar, and get the Peavey Vypyr amp. Do you think that for a beginner as his first guitar/amp it's safe to get this pack? Is the guitar good for beginners, and how bad and crappy is that amp?
You're better off getting the guitar and the peavey vypyer. Steer away from starter packs.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
You're better off getting the guitar and the peavey vypyer. Steer away from starter packs.

Remember, I don't know how much I'll like guitar. Besides I was watching reviews about the peavey vypyr and that amp is waaaay too complicated.

Besides the amp, what's so bad about starter packs? I don't have any of the things that the starter pack includes.
if you are not sure whether you are going to take playing up as a hobby the a starter pack is the best way to go just be aware that the products contained in a starter pack are very lowend (not very good quality) and in some cases may turn you off from playing guitar `cos of the products inability to create the sounds of your favourite artist.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
if you are not sure whether you are going to take playing up as a hobby the a starter pack is the best way to go just be aware that the products contained in a starter pack are very lowend (not very good quality) and in some cases may turn you off from playing guitar `cos of the products inability to create the sounds of your favourite artist.

This ^^^

It's good that you realize you might not enjoy but as said above sometimes having real crappy gear will turn you off from wanting to play more.

I started with a crap guitar and amp casue my dad didn't think I would stay with it. Well, its 12 years later and I'm still with it. If you truely love music then you will most likely stick with it. Its a life long hobby. I don't think I will ever quit playing unless I lose an arm or something crazy.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
id go with the a pack. then in a year if your still playing upgrade your amp and guitar. if you go with no starter pack don't forget to get the instrument cord too.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
The complication of the amp should be no reason to avoid it. Even a simple amp will take a while to get good tones. I don't think that dean amp is capable of good tones though. That starter pack's amp is utter crap compared to a vypyr I think. The price difference is not justifiable. I have huge regrets with the starter pack I bought, that's why I don't advise you getting it.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by srob7001
This ^^^

It's good that you realize you might not enjoy but as said above sometimes having real crappy gear will turn you off from wanting to play more.

I started with a crap guitar and amp casue my dad didn't think I would stay with it. Well, its 12 years later and I'm still with it. If you truely love music then you will most likely stick with it. Its a life long hobby. I don't think I will ever quit playing unless I lose an arm or something crazy.

Well the Dean Vendetta XM guitar I'm getting that one whether I get the starter pack or not. The only difference between getting a starter pack and getting separately is the amp, because picks cost like nothing, guitar comes with strap, guitar comes with gig bag (I think) and the peavey vypyr has a built in tuner.
i had a starter pack. sure the amps don't sound great but it gets you started. The amp really only adds $20 or so to the price. i think it is a good idea to go with a starter pack personally.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
I understand you are new to the whole guitar playing but for someone who has uncertainties if they are going to stick with it I would have to recommend getting the separate amp and guitar. The reason why I would say that has mostly to do with the quality seen in starter packs are just terrible. As for the accessories, cable, picks, tuner and gig bag those are not very expensive. Why get a gig bag if you are uncertain about playing. The cable, picks and tuner however are not accessories to you at this point but necessities. If you're going to guitarcenter explain to the sales guy you're new to guitar and definitely bring a friend along if you have friends that play.
Tonight won't be your last

Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Schecter C-1+
Ampeg B25B & SVT 15
Quote by Hippypunk
I understand you are new to the whole guitar playing but for someone who has uncertainties if they are going to stick with it I would have to recommend getting the separate amp and guitar. The reason why I would say that has mostly to do with the quality seen in starter packs are just terrible. As for the accessories, cable, picks, tuner and gig bag those are not very expensive. Why get a gig bag if you are uncertain about playing. The cable, picks and tuner however are not accessories to you at this point but necessities. If you're going to guitarcenter explain to the sales guy you're new to guitar and definitely bring a friend along if you have friends that play.

You shouldn't tell them you're new to guitar, they'll want to steer you into whatever they're supposed to sell the most of, usually line 6 spiders . This also reminds me you'll have much better resale value on the vypyr than with the dean amp.
I cannot stress how much better it would be for you to get them separately.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Sep 28, 2009,
Alright I'm going to go with the separate thing, but what's with all this cable talk I'm hearing about? Doesn't the amp come with a cable?

Amp has a tuner built in, so I wouldn't really need to worry about getting a tuner. Besides the guitar I want to get doesn't come with a tremolo bar.
Ask them, more than likely it doesn't. They're around 15-20 USD for a decent one. Make sure you read the instruction manuals very closely, they help invaluably.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Ask them, more than likely it doesn't. They're around 15-20 USD for a decent one. Make sure you read the instruction manuals very closely, they help invaluably.

For the guitar to amp cable?
The cable is $15-20. The instructions I'm talking about are for the amp and guitar, not the cable.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
The cable is $15-20. The instructions I'm talking about are for the amp and guitar, not the cable.

Lmao I know.
Quote by dsan224
Lmao I know.

Yeah the guitar to amp cable, my fault I didn't answer your question.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by dsan224
Remember, I don't know how much I'll like guitar. Besides I was watching reviews about the peavey vypyr and that amp is waaaay too complicated.

Besides the amp, what's so bad about starter packs? I don't have any of the things that the starter pack includes.

Yeahhhh I thought the vypyr's were incredibly confusing when I was at GC. For ease of use, I'd choose a Spider. BUT BUT BUT BUT, you have to learn to tweak things.

And I'm sure if I had a manual on hand, I could have easily figured out how to use it right. Everything is easier if you learn how to use it. Watching and reading reviews does no good.

I haven't touched my effects on my Spider in ages. Mainly because I use a pedal which is like a million times more superior to the Spider effects, but Spider effects can be usable... to an extent, if you tweak them appropriately.

After awhile, you might wanna buy a DigiTech RP55 for getting into more effects. I'm so glad I bought mine. Made my ol' SP-10 distortion sound like complete and utter ****.
don`t know if you are aware but peavey have a rebate deal on the vypyr whare you get a sanpera foot controller for free.........(not a advert btw...but it`s on the peavey site)
I would go with the guitar and the vypyr. Amps really aren't that complicated once you understand what the knobs mean and it'll be better for you to learn how to get a sound you like instead of getting used to having built in modeling style amps choose them for you (such as a Spider)
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Yeahhhh I thought the vypyr's were incredibly confusing when I was at GC. For ease of use, I'd choose a Spider. BUT BUT BUT BUT, you have to learn to tweak things.

And I'm sure if I had a manual on hand, I could have easily figured out how to use it right. Everything is easier if you learn how to use it. Watching and reading reviews does no good.

I haven't touched my effects on my Spider in ages. Mainly because I use a pedal which is like a million times more superior to the Spider effects, but Spider effects can be usable... to an extent, if you tweak them appropriately.

After awhile, you might wanna buy a DigiTech RP55 for getting into more effects. I'm so glad I bought mine. Made my ol' SP-10 distortion sound like complete and utter ****.

Thanks for the reply, but I am NOT getting a spider.

Oh and, do you guys know of any other guitar I can get for just $99 that's better than the Dean Vendetta XM?
Last edited by dsan224 at Sep 28, 2009,