so, i'm a college student majoring in music with an emphasis in jazz bass. naturally, when one thinks of jazz bass, they think of this:

however, living in a dorm and being poor as college students are, i feel it's more reasonable that i would obtain one of these:

on talkbass, i've researched it. they are, naturally, against the idea of doing this. some even say using an EUB hindered their ability to play the AUB when they picked it up. i'd also like to learn to bow eventually and do some stuff like this cool ass biznazz here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJv908RCp8M

in any event, is it worth it to consider getting an EUB, or should i just get an AUB? neither are in my budget for the foreseeable future. but the AUB's that are close in price range to the EUB i'm eyeing are claimed to be shoddy pieces of crap.

is that true that chinese plywood basses that go for around $700 are totally worthless, or is that the "i own 17 basses" pretension of TB talking?

gonna run this by my instructor as well.
#DTWD
I have an acoustic upright, and there is quite the difference between the cheaper EUB and AUB. The main, besides tone, is way you play the instrument. Try both out and you'll notice the difference right away. If you are looking into an EUB, I'd suggest the yamaha silent upright bass. My upright teacher uses it and its pretty solid with its tone and its consistency with an AUB.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
what kind of AUB do you have? once we get into the $3000 price range, i might as well get an AUB, right?

Engelhardt ES9 Swingmaster Upright Bass

stupid question on my part.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
what kind of AUB do you have? once we get into the $3000 price range, i might as well get an AUB, right?

stupid question on my part.

lol, yea i've got the swingmaster...came set up for swing bass...which i don't play, but wanted to have it setup by a local luthier neways. It's a laminate bass so you don't have to be overly protective of where it is and what the weather is like. If your in the 3000 range and still want an EUB check out these guys. If not, mosey over to the talkbass forum and dig up some threads on good acoustic basses for that price...there are a tonne of them. I'm obviously biased on the Es9 swingmaster though lol.

EUB
http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-Silent-Electric-Bass-464058-i1144488.Music123

AUB
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1244-ENGELHARDT_SWINGMASTER_ES_9_EG_9_BASS.html
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
naaaaaaaaah. i'm not anywhere close to the $3000 range. more in the >$1000 range. i heard through the TB grapevine that there's an instrument emporium with a liquidation sale. nice laminated german bass for $950 (not including shipping and set up).

let's hope i can sell enough of my belongings to get it soon!

unless anyone else has any better ideas. anyone wanna steal ol' davey a 3/4 upright bass from their high school? :')
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
naaaaaaaaah. i'm not anywhere close to the $3000 range. more in the >$1000 range. i heard through the TB grapevine that there's an instrument emporium with a liquidation sale. nice laminated german bass for $950 (not including shipping and set up).

let's hope i can sell enough of my belongings to get it soon!

unless anyone else has any better ideas. anyone wanna steal ol' davey a 3/4 upright bass from their high school? :')

If you pay shipping!
Hi.
Quote by David12390
If you pay shipping!

deal.

are there any double bass launderers we could go through to prevent it being repossessed?
#DTWD
Your better off trying to save more and get an AUB.

For starters, they sound better and swing harder (not sure why, but I find that electric basses can groove, but only an upright can swing)

Plus, youd never be able to get away with a electric upright in classical.

And Ill be honest, a lot of people will look down on the electric upright and it will lose you a lot of *paying* gigs
Quote by tubatom868686

And Ill be honest, a lot of people will look down on the electric upright and it will lose you a lot of *paying* gigs

yeah. figured as much. damn, jazz cats are snooty.
#DTWD
Is rent-to-own a possibility in your area? Then you wouldn't need all the cash up front and you'll own it at the end of it.
Quote by primusfan
yeah. figured as much. damn, jazz cats are snooty.

Yea, lol. If it sounds good and you can play it, I dont know why people have a problem with it. But yea, I dont agree with it really, Im just being honest.

Dont forget, if you get a bass, youll have to put a pick up on it too (at least if your playing jazz, and I get the feeling you are). So I advise you start looking into that too
Quote by edgeyyz
Is rent-to-own a possibility in your area? Then you wouldn't need all the cash up front and you'll own it at the end of it.

that's a really good question actually. i should talk to doo wop about that. thanks for the tip! i'll check their website.
#DTWD
found a local orchestra store that does rent to own. i'll go talk to them later this week. thanks so much guys!
#DTWD