Poll: _____ gets more fame.
Poll Options
View poll results: _____ gets more fame.
Lead
425 88%
Rhythm
7 1%
Equally
50 10%
Voters: 482.
Page 1 of 4
Usually, which one is more famous?
Personally I believe Leads get more recognition.
Post your example.
I defy anyone to name a dedicated rhythm guitarist who is more famous than the dedicated lead guitarist in the same band, for that band.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Hetfield>Hammett

Also:

Claudio is technically the rhythm guitarist of Coheed, so...yeah..
Quote by sashki
Lead guitarists. I can think of equally famous lead/rhythm guitarists, but not of rhythm guitarists more famous than their lead player.

Spot on.
Quote by SteveHouse
I defy anyone to name a dedicated rhythm guitarist who is more famous than the dedicated lead guitarist in the same band, for that band.
James Hetfield?

Rhythm guitarist is where its at btw.
There are some rhythm guitarists who are famous - Malcolm Young, Izzy Stradlin, Ace Frehley etc.
Quote by goest
Hetfield>Hammett

Also:

That's cause they are both singers...
Actually, Dave Mustaine is probably the most famous rhythm guitarist, but he's also the singer, songwriter and plays a few solos, too.

Compare Angus and Malcolm Young. Some people don't even know who the latter is, even though he wrote all their world-famous riffs.
Same applies to Slash and Izzy Stradlin. Everyone knows Slash, but Izzy?

Joe Perry and Brad Whitford. I'm not even sure if that's the second guy's name.

Joe Walsh and...who else played in The Eagles?
Last edited by sashki at Sep 28, 2009,
I voted equally but then realised that you meant more famous.

The only time that a rhythm guitarist is more recognised is when the rhythm guitarist is also the vocalist. E.g. James Hetfield, Claudio Sanchez
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Quote by sashki
Lead guitarists. I can think of equally famous lead/rhythm guitarists, but not of rhythm guitarists more famous than their lead player.

John Schaffer of Iced Earth
Zacky Vengeance is possibly equally famous to Syn... Well maybe not quite aswell known... But he is the Rhythm player.... Maybe Matt Tuck over Padge?
Quote by ride-the-spiral
I voted equally but then realised that you meant more famous.

The only time that a rhythm guitarist is more recognised is when the rhythm guitarist is also the vocalist. E.g. James Hetfield, Claudio Sanchez

That's what I'm thinking. If you're saying someone famous for being the singer who happens to be the rhythm player, I'm calling shens.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by KingJustinian25
And I'm saying they are famous for being singers not as much as for guitar?

Depends on the community of people in which you ask the question, I suppose.

(Community meaning "musicians/non-musicians")
I think you are all thinking over real guitar genres. There's jazz, classical, ****ty pop, bass vs guitar, country, blues…
lead guitar gets the fame...or...the rhythm if its being played by the lead singer.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by goest
Hetfield>Hammett

Also:

he sings aswell though that is why.
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Zacky Vengeance is possibly equally famous to Syn... Well maybe not quite aswell known... But he is the Rhythm player.... Maybe Matt Tuck over Padge?

But tuck is like THE frontman. He is vocalist.
Quote by Fiire
I think you are all thinking over real guitar genres. There's jazz, classical, ****ty pop, bass vs guitar, country, blues…

Ultimately, the singer is the most famous.

People who don't play instruments can relate to the singer, as (s)he contributes both the melody and the lyrics.
I don't know many people who aren't musicians that listen to instrumental music, and when they do, it's "Classical" music. In that case, the composer is the best known, and the musicians are generally only well known to people who are very interested in that sort of thing.

Much in the same way guitarists are well known among guitarists, or fans of guitar-oriented music. It makes sense.

What do people recognise in a song? Melody. Who provides the melody? The lead singer, or the lead instrument.
Quote by grimms
he sings aswell though that is why.

Whatevs, home skillet.
Mikael Aderfelt is much more well known than the lead guitarist of opeth... arguably because he is the frontman but he's also very well known for his rhythm playing.

Still, this thread should just accept lead is always going to be more famous and guys, stop trying to make themselves feel clever by picking out exceptions :P

I picked rhythm
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by sashki
Ultimately, the singer is the most famous.

People who don't play instruments can relate to the singer, as (s)he contributes both the melody and the lyrics.
I don't know many people who aren't musicians that listen to instrumental music, and when they do, it's "Classical" music. In that case, the composer is the best known, and the musicians are generally only well known to people who are very interested in that sort of thing.

Much in the same way guitarists are well known among guitarists, or fans of guitar-oriented music. It makes sense.

What do people recognise in a song? Melody. Who provides the melody? The lead singer, or the lead instrument.

And if the singer is also the rythym guitarist, This equals a rythym guitarist more famous than the lead. But, not for their guitar work. For their Vocals.
Quote by SteveHouse

Pretty much any thrash band

Scott Ian is more famous than Dan Spitz, James Hetfield is more famous than Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine is more famous than Poland/Young/Friedman/etc..
Stef Carpenter anyone?
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
Quote by joelJURASSIC
And if the singer is also the rythym guitarist, This equals a rythym guitarist more famous than the lead. But, not for their guitar work. For their Vocals.

So that means Vocalist > Lead Guitarist

If he only sang, he'd still be the most famous
If he only played lead guitar, he would not be

I thought we were talking about rhythm players who only play guitar. Including vocalists shifts the balance.
Quote by The Shroom420
Pretty much any thrash band

Scott Ian is more famous than Dan Spitz, James Hetfield is more famous than Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine is more famous than Poland/Young/Friedman/etc..

And he wasn't even the lead vocalist...
Quote by sashki
So that means Vocalist > Lead Guitarist

If he only sang, he'd still be the most famous
If he only played lead guitar, he would not be

I thought we were talking about rhythm players who only play guitar. Including vocalists shifts the balance.

well, we SHOULD be talking about guitarists who are just guitarists, but some of the best rythym guitarists are also vocalists.
Lead. The only non-singing rhythm player that is more famous than his lead player is probably Scott Ian. So lead for sure, unless your rhythm player sings too.
I'd say Mark Morton and Willie Adler are about the same.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Zacky Vengeance for sure, even IF it's only because of the swarms of emo girls that foam at the mouth over him.

And the whole vocalist-rhythm players thing too. Matt Heafy of Trivium.
has a terrible signature.
Quote by blue_strat
There are some rhythm guitarists who are famous - Malcolm Young, Izzy Stradlin, Ace Frehley etc.

Ace Frehley was the lead guitarist for Kiss, not rhythm.
aka, Possum Head on /b
Page 1 of 4