So I was looking at Rickenbackers (I love them so...) and I was wondering what the difference between a 4001 and 4003 is. The only noticable differences to me is the neck pickup, headstock (reversed on one), and the price tag. I don't know why, but the 4001's look much more appealing to the eye, to me, but cost nearly 2x as much (musicians friend pricing) Is their really that big of a difference between the 2? Thanx all, as always!
Try adding more delay.
The difference between the 4001 and 4003 is there is a 0.004uf capacitor in the bridge pickup of the 4001 that isn't in the 4003. But these days the 4003 has the ability to switch that capacitor in and out of the tone circuit.

The neck pickup on 60s and early 70s Ricks was 1/2" away from the neck and after that it was placed 1" away giving a brighter tone to the neck pickup.

Also the early 4001s had the horseshoe magnet pickups where the magnet went around the strings. later 4001s and 4003s have and normal pickup with a cover that looks like the horseshoe magnet just for the vintage look.

The reverse headstock is the 4001c64s which is Paul McCartney's signature rickenbacker. It has a reverse headstock because in the 60s all rickenbacker did to make a lefty rick was put the body wings and the nut on backwards. The c64s is the most vintage accurate rick on the market today because it has the vintage pickup placement and horseshoe bridge pickup. It also has a zero fret like Paul had added to his because he liked the feature on his Hofner.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Are there any major sound differences? Or is it kind of like the stingray compared to the sterling (sound-wise)?
Quote by Mutant Corn
What I've always wondered is why the 4001 and 4003 are so similar, but the 4002 is different.

http://www.rickbeat.com/modelslibrary/4002/4002.htm

I'm going to guess that they discontinued the 4001 for the 4002 which failed miserably so they released the 4003 which is exactly the same as the 4001.

kind of a coke > new coke > classic coke deal
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.