Alright so I have two bands going on now and I'm not sure which is better. One band I've been with for 2 years, the other for 2 weeks. Here are some videos and links and stuff. Tell me which you think I should stay with/make my main band.

For my old band I don't have that much recent stuff (we broke up and then reformed which is why I made the new band), but here's what I have:

Knave's 13 (2 year band):
www.knaves13.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3N3aEs6nJM&feature=related (yes, I know, my guitar was out of tune, but that's our most recent show. There's a good recording of the song, which is original on www.knaves13.com. I'm just posting that video because I want to know how our stage presence stacks up to the new band).

New band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsvcDbB7nw

The new band hasn't written any original songs yet though.

So...opinions?

Thanks in advance!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
What do you mean?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
I will for a while, but I'm still curious to see which you guys think is better, or shows more potential.
Yeah I know. I think I'm asking more just from a live standpoint, as in which seems to be a better live band. I basically wrote all the songs in Knave's so in terms of songs both bands should be pretty equal.
I'm procrastinating so I'll make a quick review of the vids of each band - I'm assuming you're the guy with the PRS;

Knaves 13

You look unconfident, poor mic technique is displayed (eg. 0.36 you sing into the guitar rather than the mic, this is repeated several times throughout the song). Guitar sounds good - you're a good player so you don't have to look at the frets. Vocals are bland and monotone throughout the song. When not singing you are looking at the fretboard, effectively eradicating audience connection. 1.33 vocals are out of tune.

The rest of the band is as goes. Bassist looks at hand, drummer looks at bassist's hand. Keyboard player looks at keyboards. Most of song involves entire band staring at hands, some foot shuffling.

This is a very detached performance. But, the band does sound good, with the exception of the vocals.

New Band

It's a cover so I won't comment on the musicality. Main singer and you also have a similar thing where if you're not singing, you should turn your back to the audience, get away from them. Because there's no confined area, both you and the main dude employ a "touch and go" approach to the microphone (see interaction at 1.55 with you guys interchanging lines, it looks like a yoyo). This affects the end of every line sung into the microphone, as it's said while walking away. Vocals are generally monotone throughout.

Bassist stares at hand. Guitarists look at hands when not singing, often turning away from the audience. The drummer appears to have the most stage presence in the band.

Conclusion;

From a "live" standpoint, the bands are even. The "new band" has the slight advantage of having two singers, but when both are detached it doesn't really matter. I imagine that the extra movement in the "new band" was simply caused by the fact that there's space to run away from the audience, whilst in the first video there wasn't.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Stick with your first band. The vocals were honestly atrocious for the Level cover. The rest of the playing was fine. But I agree with the poster above that you need more stage presence in what you do. It was hard staying on the page with the video and not just listening while surfing the internet.
Wow, thanks for the in depth review!

Yeah I've noticed I tend to do a sling back thing when I sing, but we're looking for a singer in both bands so it doesn't matter.

One thing someone said was that the second guitar is better than the keyboard, what do you think of that?
Quote by StrokeMidnight

One thing someone said was that the second guitar is better than the keyboard, what do you think of that?

I think the keyboard makes it sound different from a lot of different rock bands - remember they are different bands you're in, so they should sound different. The first band has well thought out parts, but the interaction between the two guitars on the second song is impossible to review because you're doing a cover - the parts are written by someone else. In practice the second guitar may not add too much if the songs aren't properly arranged.

Edit: Don't stop singing dude. You've got enough confidence to get infront of a crowd and do it, now just get lessons and back it up with skill.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Sep 29, 2009,
Unfortunately, I can't really afford lessons . I took two, but I can't afford anymore because of piano lessons and I'm taking a course on classical composition.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Unfortunately, I can't really afford lessons . I took two, but I can't afford anymore because of piano lessons and I'm taking a course on classical composition.

Well then practice with a tape recorder

You obviously can stand back and listen to where your voice needs work. Listen to it and try to create the sounds you really want.
Soundcloud