Anyone know if ~70 dB is safe? That's where I'm at.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
There is already a volume limit in most of the EU anyway. They'd just be topping off the list with a few more countries.

And yes, 70 is fine.
So Fassa's dream came true?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Nakon14
you can turn the limit off...

No, not this type of limit. This limit is set at the amplifier itself.
meh nothing pisses me off more than sitting on a bus and hearing someone elses music from their headphones being on full blast. srsly they go loud enough
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Hmmmm....seems like now we are even incapable o turn down the volume when its too loud
I live in Australia so :P

...But if this does go ahead...it won't be long till comes down here, but i personally don't think i have my ipod up too loud.
Last edited by LPDC at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by Duffman123
Hmmmm....seems like now we are even incapable o turn down the volume when its too loud

But how does that give government the right to set a limit? I think if an idiot wants to blare his music so loud is ruins his ears then he should be allowed to as long s it doesn't damage anyone else's hearing.
i think it makes sense, so long as it isnt too quite
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Im doing a media course and an Ipod can go to 90db. Concerts are around 120-140db, think how close that is.

Since I've turned everything to around 40db and its better, if it physically hurts your ears turn it down, plus listening lower doesn't wear out the ears, I noticed I start to hear things in songs I didn't before, random background noise or whatever.
no different than working on an airport or going to an air show then, and thats only if you have the loudest player with the loudest headphones turned all the way up.

Most people leave theirs at around 70-80 dB. Thats not hurting anyone any more than would say, a football game (either kind), or hell, even high school
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Manufacturers are capping it themselves too. I got the 3G iPod when it first came out and it's a lot louder than the newer ones my friends have. After years of care I finally ****ed up the hard drive and now I'm back to my MiniDisc player, which is also lower in volume.
Quote by daytripper75
However users could still switch that default off if they wanted to.

/thread.

Oh, well, looks like the EU limit will be different than the French limit.
Quote by Saf1
Manufacturers are capping it themselves too. I got the 3G iPod when it first came out and it's a lot louder than the newer ones my friends have. After years of care I finally ****ed up the hard drive and now I'm back to my MiniDisc player, which is also lower in volume.

This could have a lot to do with the strength of the internal amplifier, too. Newer mainstream players tend to overlook small components such as quality amplifiers.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Im doing a media course and an Ipod can go to 90db. Concerts are around 120-140db, think how close that is.

Since I've turned everything to around 40db and its better, if it physically hurts your ears turn it down, plus listening lower doesn't wear out the ears, I noticed I start to hear things in songs I didn't before, random background noise or whatever.

Actually, most concerts rarely get louder than 120 Db, and that was in the old days. 110 is most common today. at 120 you began to feel actual physical pain, and 130 is ten times the volume of that. You see, human perception of volume is not linear. The decibel system is based on human perception of volume, not volume itself. Doubling the volume actually only gives you a three decibel increase, and you would have to double that to get another 3 decibel increase. because of this, 140 Db is actually about 50 times the energy as 90 Db. I would imagine that 140 Db can cause serious physical harm, not just to the ears. At around 180 you can actually kill someone.

I'm in an audio production class at my high school, in case your wondering how I know this.
so the first point they make is urging manufacturers to advise users to lower the volume. do these people not read the packaging? one of the first things it says on the instructions is to keep it turned down...

i think its a good idea. you should never be able to hear someone elses mp3 players when youre standing more than a couple feet away from them. i know people tend to turn it up higher to block out other sound, so i suggest acquiring good noise-cancelling headphones. you know the ones, theyre sorta like earplugs and go into the ear canal. they work great, especially if you have a really good pair. on the negative side, people will still crank the volume up and using these types will cause you to experience hearing loss even quicker.
Quote by i_don't_know
No, not this type of limit. This limit is set at the amplifier itself.

"Kuneva said the new standards would see new players include a maximum sound level default at 80 decibels. However users could still switch that default off if they wanted to"

jesus christ people read the damn article. its not a bad idea anyway
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by sglover34479
But how does that give government the right to set a limit? I think if an idiot wants to blare his music so loud is ruins his ears then he should be allowed to as long s it doesn't damage anyone else's hearing.

you know, sometimes, the government likes to look out for its people.

many people will turn the volume up all the way no matter what that level is, so i think this is a good idea
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
I've seen a bunch of people put their players at ridiculous volume levels (to be cool, or out of ignorance). Those people are going to have it difficult later in life. This is to help and, well, I approve. If you really wanna block out other sounds, just use those pluggy headphones.