I was thinking of getting a cheap electric violin for my birthday, do any of you guys play violin? is it easy to pick up if you play guitar?
Yes, because they're identical.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
ಠ_ಠ

You're buying it for yourself on your birthday?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Wtf Electric?
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
It's a very difficult instrument to master. The angle of the bow has to be identical to the angle of the wrist on your opposite hand. Your ear training has to be good to know that you're in tune, hitting the right notes and powering through and, at first, knowing to use all of the bow rather than just a bit of it just seems wrong.
Lol. violin is much harder than the guitar. takes way more practice too. i would recommend the ukelele if you want something closer to a guitar, but if you're willing to put in the practice and effor necessary then go for it.
Yeah get a Uke!

I want one
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
There are so many aspects involved in playing the violin, which makes it all that much harder. Things like bow speed, bow placement, bow angle, intonation, shifting, vibrato etc. are really tough to master. Also, the cheapest electric violin I've seen was still like $500.
On a related note, how much are lessons usually? I have been thinking of getting at least a bit of training to learn how to play it, it would be good fun.
1) Violin is MUCH harder to play.

2) A "cheapie" violin costs about $2000, in case you didn't know. A good one can cost upwards of $250000. It's a very expensive instrument to learn.
Quote by st.stephen
On a related note, how much are lessons usually? I have been thinking of getting at least a bit of training to learn how to play it, it would be good fun.

It cost me £25 an hour. You really do need a teacher for it though.
Quote by i_don't_know

2) A "cheapie" violin costs about $2000, in case you didn't know. A good one can cost upwards of $250000. It's a very expensive instrument to learn.

i found one for $400 i know it's probably not really good but i'm not gonna be like performing with it i just wanna learn another instrument
OHMYGOSHLOOK its a sig
It's a tough instrument to get the swing of. You're going to need lessons. Many MANY lessons.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Not really much like guitar except the fact that they both have strings.

If you know how to read music from your guitar playing then that will help a little.

I would definitely suggest lessons if you are serious about learning how to play. I played when I was younger and I think it would have been pretty difficult to learn on my own.
Quote by i_don't_know

It's usually 200 bucks for a beginner one, and a couple thousand dollars at most for a good one. The ones in the tens of thousands usually are the ones that world famous luthiers have made or ones that are hundreds of years old that are still in good condition.

I picked it up last year for orchestra, and the only skills you can bring over to the violin is finger speed/dexterity. To be honest, my experience of playing the flute helped me much more than my experience in guitar.
i've been playing for 8 violin years, and guitar for 6 years, and its nothing like guitar. its gonna take a pretty long time to get it to sound pretty good. the your fingers really have to be in the exact right place otherwise the notes wont sound good specially when your shift. if you know how to read music it'll make it easier, if not i say dont even try before learning that first
Last edited by rtbsmgsmf at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by Colohue
It cost me £25 an hour. You really do need a teacher for it though.

Yeah I figured I would need a teacher, it's such a technical instrument and you need such good technique and tone to actually sound like you can play anything. I do have a prof who is a violin player I just realized though, so maybe he'd be willing to teach me thanks mate.
Hey man.

Yes, a teacher would be a good idea. But when you get your teacher, do practice. There is nothing more frustrating than a kid that doesn't practice. I'm not saying you don't, but a half an hour a day will have you pick it up very very fast.
Quote by i_don't_know

No.

Maybe for a pro, but for any student a regular violin should cost around 400, a mid level cost around 800, and a high level cost around 1500-ish.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Whether you've been playing guitar for 30 minutes or 30 years, the violin is going to be hard as hell to get down.

When you first start it will sound about as pleasing to the ears as a lady scraping her fingernails on a chalk board. Nonetheless, I think its a great instrument to learn, and one that few people really seem to try out, so good luck to you.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
I've been playing violin for 10 years or so, and compared to guitar it's far far more difficult. And my violin is worth more than my whole guitar rig...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments