l am getting a guitar within 8 weeks hopefully and i am most likely (with the exception of the esp kh-202) getting a type of jackson flying v or some sort of dinky...are there any suggestions to guitars under $550 with floyd rose that would be suitable for metallica styled playing?
Hmm- For your price range the Jackson X-series seems to fit your needs.
The RR3 or the DX10D both have great licensed Floyd Roses, decent pups and great build quality for the price. The finish on my DX10DFS is great, even after five years.

Or, you can look at used DK2s.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
One is a Dinky (DX10D), the other is the Rhoads (RR3). Both have the same neck, but the Rhoads has real Duncans while the Dinky has Duncan Designed.

The Rhoads seems to be the model with more for the money, but the Rhoads shape takes some getting used to, so try before you buy.

Try looking for some used DK2s as well.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

The DKMG is a nice instrument, but to me it doesnt look like a traditional Jackson. I like my sharkfin inlays personally. Its a matter of preference. Do you want the EMGs or the passive Duncans?

Honestly I think a Jackson should have the better passive duncans- you will not be disappointed, and to truly take advantage of the active EMGs you need a pretty nasty tube amp.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
Hmm- For your price range the Jackson X-series seems to fit your needs.
The RR3 or the DX10D both have great licensed Floyd Roses, decent pups and great build quality for the price. The finish on my DX10DFS is great, even after five years.

Or, you can look at used DK2s.

This.
X series for the price range.....orgasmic.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by GuitarLGND
l am getting a guitar within 8 weeks hopefully and i am most likely (with the exception of the esp kh-202) getting a type of jackson flying v or some sort of dinky...are there any suggestions to guitars under $550 with floyd rose that would be suitable for metallica styled playing?

jackson rx10 king V. your going to want to change out the duncan designed as soon as you can.
and what would be a good tube amp that isnt tooo expensive that would take advantage of emg's
Peavey has released or is releasing very soon a 6505 1x12 combo. Its made in China, but it seems like its going to be quite the winner for $500 bucks.

As for your guitar for under $550 the RR3, a used DK2 or a DX10DFS should get you well within that price range.

You might even be able to snag a Soloist SL3 for that money, but I am not making any promises with that.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
The DKMG is a nice instrument, but to me it doesnt look like a traditional Jackson. I like my sharkfin inlays personally. Its a matter of preference. Do you want the EMGs or the passive Duncans?

Honestly I think a Jackson should have the better passive duncans- you will not be disappointed, and to truly take advantage of the active EMGs you need a pretty nasty tube amp.

No dude, the DXMG has passive EMG's. Having one, i can tell you it's a great guitar. The pickups are pretty meh, but they are pretty good. Great for cleans. The FR is amazing, too, for being a LFR.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by sw1ss023
No dude, the DXMG has passive EMG's. Having one, i can tell you it's a great guitar. The pickups are pretty meh, but they are pretty good. Great for cleans. The FR is amazing, too, for being a LFR.

Yea thats what I meant- If the pickups are meh, how can they be pretty good? I'd go for the Duncans... passive EMGs just don't make sense to me.

Anyway- whatever you do end up getting, make sure to post pics!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion