so my acoustic just started making some weird buzzing noise whenever i pluck the low E or A strings. its not fret buzz; it sounds like its coming from either the bridge or somewhere in the sound hole. any ideas what it might be?

i have a Yamaha FG730S, if that makes any difference
I would speculate that a loose brace is the culprit. Fixing it isn't a major surgery, but still should probably be done by capable hands (meaning a guitar technician or luthier). Just ask your local dealer for some help.
Anything that could be loose needs to be checked to make sure that it isn't loose. Get the guitar to make the buzz then just start touching and holding all of the various parts of the guitar until you narrow it down. Everything, and I do mean everything, needs to be eliminated in order to find the problem child. If you narrow it down to the interior of the guitar, then you might need to take the strings off and see if you can get your hand inside to feel around for a loose brace. But the main thing I'm getting at here is that you rule out everything else first. It could be something as simple as a loose tuner knob.
You probably just need to get your truss rod adjusted and to sand down a fret

Edit: OR it could be your bridge is old and needs to be swapped -- sometimes it indents too much... or it could be the top part where the strings go through and the groove has become too large.
Last edited by silentdud at Sep 28, 2009,
Quote by silentdud
You probably just need to get your truss rod adjusted and to sand down a fret

Nope, not even close. A truss rod problem isn't going to "just start happening" like he said his guitar did. And I'm not even going to comment on the rest of your post.
Quote by LeftyDave
Nope, not even close. A truss rod problem isn't going to "just start happening" like he said his guitar did. And I'm not even going to comment on the rest of your post.

Actually yes it would especially from change in temperature or if he put it down hard. Don't be a condescending little **** I may not fix instruments but I have played many instruments all of which have had buzzes at one point or another. None have had brace problems. Brace problems only happen if you don't take care of your guitar or if its really old. Truss rods should be adjusted yearly. braces are like a 1/10 year fix.
Last edited by silentdud at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by silentdud
Actually yes it would especially from change in temperature or if he put it down hard. Don't be a condescending little **** I may not fix instruments but I have played many instruments all of which have had buzzes at one point or another. None have had brace problems. Brace problems only happen if you don't take care of your guitar or if its really old. Truss rods should be adjusted yearly. braces are like a 1/10 year fix.

The reason I said what I said is that people are far too fast to jump on the old "just turn the truss rod and it'll fix everything" bandwagon these days. It just isn't the right way to think about guitars. If you've played as many as you claim to have, then you ought to know that buzzings of this sort don't "just happen" in regards to the truss rod. That is a much more gradual change, even when weather is considered. If he dropped it, yes, but I've a feeling we would have heard that part of the story already. Go back and re-read the TS's original post, and if you still disagree, so be it. Narrowmindedness won't get you very far when it comes to diagnosing guitar troubles, nor will name-calling in these threads. I believe it's called flaming and isn't tolerated here.
Quote by LeftyDave
The reason I said what I said is that people are far too fast to jump on the old "just turn the truss rod and it'll fix everything" bandwagon these days. It just isn't the right way to think about guitars. If you've played as many as you claim to have, then you ought to know that buzzings of this sort don't "just happen" in regards to the truss rod. That is a much more gradual change, even when weather is considered. If he dropped it, yes, but I've a feeling we would have heard that part of the story already. Go back and re-read the TS's original post, and if you still disagree, so be it. Narrowmindedness won't get you very far when it comes to diagnosing guitar troubles, nor will name-calling in these threads. I believe it's called flaming and isn't tolerated here.

Actually you're probably actually right if it's not really fret buzz. The problem is if it is fret buzz you should adjust the truss rod and change the bridge before you adjust the truss rod. Most of the time it is fret buzz of some kind and you just don't realize it. The brace should be simple to check.
Last edited by silentdud at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by silentdud
Actually you're probably actually right if it's not really fret buzz. The problem is if it is fret buzz you should adjust the truss rod and change the bridge before you adjust the truss rod. Most of the time it is fret buzz of some kind and you just don't realize it. The brace should be simple to check.

Adjust the truss rod before you adjust the truss rod, got it.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

actually its cool. the buzzing stopped today. still dont know why it started
Actually, it is that loose thingy in all of our heads that get's loose when Mercury is in Retrograde and gets better when it begins to go direct after we begin to think about it for a while. Non Sequitur
Witch Doctor
Me Fixes all Me Junk & Others