Ok, I play in a metal band (thrash, groove, prog) and I am going to buy a 7 string guitar. I currently have an ESP. Any suggestions? (preferably EMG pickups, active)
budget

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Just got my first 7 in March.

The Ibanez 7321 is what I have. Plays great. Everything is still stock. Everyone ive seen recommends Seymour Duncan Blackouts over EMG 707's.
schecter Hell Raiser. costs about 700 brand new. emg pick ups, set neck, all the good stuff. very good guitar.
i hate blackouts, EMG's are the way to go with 7's... IMO of course

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
But are the blackouts not more versatile than EMG's? Thats why im interested in them.
I don't know what 707's or Seymour Duncan Blackouts are like, but my 2 cents is this:
I started with a bottom of the line Schecter Omen-7 and it's not a great guitar by any professional standards but the thing is solid and sounded hella good coming from a cheapo starter guitar and I still have it today, sitting next to my Jackson Dinky which is definitely a very nice guitar and I don't notice that it sounds like complete crap in comparison or anything.

However, my friend has a Damien-7.
I don't recommend HZs because I think they sound bad, but you can switch out the pickups and it's not a bad guitar.
take your pick

Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Fast, massive tone, but of course, the PU configuration isn't for everybody. It's a beast through a high gain amp.

You can get it used from ~$700 and up in mint condition. It compares favorably with my more expensive ESP STEF B-7.