has anyone ever really been as far....you know the rest.

EDIT: my bad i cannot read lol. that was confusing at first.

i would assume that would be an admirable trait, but difficult to find.
Last edited by mental_zer0 at Sep 28, 2009,
No pretty much any of your really good guitarists will branch off into other genres of music.

For instance Paul Gilbert and his "Flamingo" Track.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
No. "Established" guitarists focus on one genre. Amateurs tend to try everything out before they find their forte.

Remember "can play" doesn't necessarily mean "can play well", only then is it rare to find a musician talented and versatile enough.
Quote by Saf1
No. "Established" guitarists focus on one genre.

Now that's just silly, and wrong. Just because most established players stick to what made them famous doesn't mean they can't play other styles exceptionally well.

Edit: Or were you saying "no" to say they aren't rare?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Sep 28, 2009,
If you are good at guitar then you know more than one genre. You may like playing a certain one more, but if you aren't versatile you aren't a good guitarist.

I suck btw .
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by metaldud536
Another thread about some kid seeking confidence in his guitar skills...

this.

I play classical flamenco, shred, death metal, prog, funk, jazz, jazz fusion, bebop etc. Its all one instrument and its not that big a deal. People who try to take about being only a 'lead player' or 'only a metal player' are just limiting themselves. You dont get piano players saying 'i just play lead piano'.

BTW that flamingo is an awful example of flamenco/classical. Check out paco de lucia and worship.
Buckethead seems to play different genres of music well. He's like..his own genre.
In my opinion, all professional musicians should be able to play any style they need to. THat's how studio guys make their paycheck. Being able to play all genres of music is the sign of a really good player and can help you get gigs and such.
I also believe that if you can play one style of music fairly well that you are limiting yourself quite a bit. A true musician should be able to play any genre that he needs to.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Skully12
In my opinion, all professional musicians should be able to play any style they need to. THat's how studio guys make their paycheck. Being able to play all genres of music is the sign of a really good player and can help you get gigs and such.
I also believe that if you can play one style of music fairly well that you are limiting yourself quite a bit. A true musician should be able to play any genre that he needs to.

well said,but it seems like these types of players are ever rarely appreciated because the mainstraem doesn't understand real talent these days...
well look at some of the greats like Jimmy Page or eric clapton or even jimi hendrix. They are most know for playing rock but many were excelent at playing many other types of music, although done less often
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
no
end of
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
Also Buckethead.

And Brad Paisley.

I have yet to see him play metal though.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.