i've been wondering this too. I didnt care for my last instructor to much, so I went the DVD route, but i know deep down inside i won't become a good guitarist unless i'm taught properly, and get a full understanding of the instrument.
The best guitar tutors are the ones that can make other genres of music exciting. Sticking to one genre isn't good. My old tutor loved jazz and Opeth, Springsteen and NIN, so i learnt a lot about variety from him but every now and again i'd have a huge 'metal' lesson. I think it's a case of trying out different instructors, asking them what they teach and listen to before you go for your lessons and ask about the local guitar community for recommendations.
Ask them what they play, who their inspirations are, check their website if they have one or take one lesson and see how you get along
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I was lucky when I told my dad to find me a teacher, I think he found the best one in the world.
She's a kind of rocker, has her own band, has few albums I believe, and he teaches so amazingly o_O

But how to find a good one is probably just luck, if you don't like your teacher just change it ;o
o hai
Quote by mxo
I was lucky when I told my dad to find me a teacher, I think he found the best one in the world.
She's a kind of rocker, has her own band, has few albums I believe, and he teaches so amazingly o_O

But how to find a good one is probably just luck, if you don't like your teacher just change it ;o

Quote by NecroticSoldier
Anyone got tips for finding a good guitar teacher? specifically one that can match your style?

There is only one way and that is to "shop around" so to speak. I've had 2 teachers my whole life, my first teacher my parents found for me when I first started learning. He was great, really helped me actually start to play the guitar, but I was young at the time and I lost interest in taking lessons after a few months. I saw him off and on for the first 4 years I was playing. While he was great, he always left me feeling like I missing something.

My current teacher I found myself through craigslist. I was browsing through the ads just looking for something to stand out and his popped up and it was the kind of ad that made me go "wow I need to check this guy out". So I looked the guy up on google. Found a bunch of info on him: found out all about his music career, listened to a bunch of his work, found out he owns earbuzz.com (site for independant musicians to sell their work for 100% profit), he also went to like 3 different schools for music (MIT, University of Mexico, and one other that I forget), and has been teaching privately for the past 15 years, all while still gigging to this day.

All I can say is he was EXACTLY what I was looking for in this stage of my playing career. He plays EVERYTHING. Jazz/Blues? You bet. Rock? Goes without saying. Metal? **** yes. Etc etc etc. Anyways the guy is simply great and he is helping me connect the dots between theory and actual playing. My playing has VASTLY improved since I started lessons with him.

Unfortunately for me though I had to postpone lessons for a bit because my car just went south and I dont have a ride right now, plus I dont know if I'm staying at my job. But I will definately be taking them again once I get things worked out, Hes to good to let go. He's become my musical mentor.

Sorry for the long post haha, I do this too often. Anyways you gotta 'shop' around till you find someone that you click with and will help you get the most out of your own playing.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Shop around. You should eventually find the guy for you.

Also, don't spend so much time looking for an "all round" guy- if the teacher plays Jazz, and you want to learn Jazz, its a pretty safe bet that hes what you want. Then you can try a few lessons, find out if you get along (also important!).