Um basically I need any advice on shredding. I have tremelo picking down, and alternate picking(although it could use some work) so please don't mention those.

Back to the point of this thread: I need advice on being a better shredder. I tend to improvise on solos, and though i can stay in key as I play slowly, when i play faster i don't, and even when i do manage to stay in key when i play fast it sounds like crap. So i'm just wondering: how do i get those amazing solos like megadeth or metallica? I know sometimes it's just that they sweep a lot: but look at Metallica: they don't use sweeps, same with Slayer(well, for the most part). And other bands that do use sweeping alot still have times when they play just using tremelo and alt picking and still sound great. But unfortunately mine never do. Please help!
Practice and metronome. There's like ten billion guide here on UG, go look them up.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Learn some scales. Or if you're like me and barely theory literate, figure a scale out that works for a song by ear. I had the same desire to do some serious shred. I still do but now I'm getting the hand of it. Oh, make sure you use your pinky and ring finger a lot. I am suffering right now and can't play as fast and clean as I would like to because of my lack of skill with those
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
make sure to get tht alt. picking down and learn to gallop (-0-000-000-000-). and as far as solos, learn to hammer and pull ALL over the fretboard and learn to squeal (aka, pinch/artificial harmonics). and dammit, learn to sweep! also, learn you pentatonic boxes. they'll help keep you in key until you can expand your knowledge of the fret board to a greater extent.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Also, make sure your using proper left hand technique. Classical posistion, play with ONLY your finger tips, not your finger pads on the ends, which will mute strings and slow you down a great deal. Look up the technique on google.
You don't just 'learn' to be a 'shredder'. It takes years and years of perfecting your technique. The speed and accuracy required to 'shred' come through perfect technique.
Quote by Ikonoklast
You don't just 'learn' to be a 'shredder'. It takes years and years of perfecting your technique. The speed and accuracy required to 'shred' come through perfect technique.

+1

tremolo picking won't help you shred much, and I highly doubt you have alt picking "down".

Shredders are nothing out of the ordinary, it's just a silly name given to very good guitar players - they do the exact same things everyone else does, they're just incredibly good at it.

So, work on your basics like your life depends on it, make sure your picking accuracy is razor sharp all the time and that your hands work in perfect sync. That's what sets them apart, not the party tricks and showboating but the fact that they have the discipline and drive to practice their bollocks off at the boring stuff.

Most importantly though, make sure your understanding of the guitar and music itself matches your technical ability. There's absolutely no point in being able to play fast if you've got nothing to say.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Nirvana00125
Um basically I need any advice on shredding. I have tremelo picking down, and alternate picking(although it could use some work) so please don't mention those.

Back to the point of this thread: I need advice on being a better shredder. I tend to improvise on solos, and though i can stay in key as I play slowly, when i play faster i don't, and even when i do manage to stay in key when i play fast it sounds like crap. So i'm just wondering: how do i get those amazing solos like megadeth or metallica? I know sometimes it's just that they sweep a lot: but look at Metallica: they don't use sweeps, same with Slayer(well, for the most part). And other bands that do use sweeping alot still have times when they play just using tremelo and alt picking and still sound great. But unfortunately mine never do. Please help!

Bloded points show you need to change your attitude as much as anything else.

For actual things to do though just hit the metronome and grind those chops.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.