So how's this sound, through a bugera v22 with a jt 220 lp. Seymour Duncan sh-1 '59 in the neck, and a sh-6 in the neck. For classic and modern rock as well as blues
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
A very hot bridge pickup (even taking its position into consideration) and a very low output neck pickup?

What are you trying to achieve with your tone?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Crunchy ballsy leads at full tilt on bridge pup, and creamy liquid solos on neck

Damn auto correct on iPods lol. Btw I think I put it backwards in words, I'm a bit tired lol

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Sep 28, 2009,
Based on my experience with the SH-6 (yeah I kinda figured this was meant to go in the bridge position), its definitely full-tilt for distortion, but not exactly my idea of crunchy. The SH-6 is a little too hot for the necessary definition to come cut through and create that crunch.

Maybe you should consider the SH-5... its a little more dialed down from the SH-6... which might give you the definition you are seeking for the crunch. What wood is your guitar?

I was thinking maybe a Pearly Gates (SH-PG1)would be better for a liquid feel, but when I rechecked the SD website, your choice didn't seem too bad either.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah I've heard great things about the gates, I'll check the jay turser site and get back.

Alder body oh and I've never changed pups before

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Can I ask... why are you looking at Seymour Duncan? Considering DiMarzio too? I can help more with DiMarzios... haha in fact I can make better recommendations for DiMarzio since I was looking for what you are looking for about a year ago.

Actually Alder is a pretty good tonewood... its my favourite tonewood to work with.

For SD... since you have a very balanced tonewood, you can also consider the Custom 5 SH-14 and the Screamin' Demon SH-12 too in my opinion.

Don't worry, all you need is a screwdriver, a soldering iron, some solder, time and practice... its nothing too hard... in fact there are some tutorials on UG too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I can go for dimarrzios, if you've got better ideas

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
All my DiMarzio suggestions:

Bridge:
Tone Zone
Super 3
Super Distortion

D Sonic
D Activator

Neck:
Air Norton
Air Zone
Norton
Air Classic Neck
Humbucker from Hell
PAF 36th Anniversary

All of these will work well in almost any combination. Though I suspect that the ones in bold will be a better fit to what you are looking for.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Wow thanks, with dimarrzios does price factor in much? I would like to pop these into my prs once I get it, cuz my current ones squeal, and I don't wanna spoil the Tubey goodness of my bugera lol

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
Wow thanks, with dimarrzios does price factor in much? I would like to pop these into my prs once I get it, cuz my current ones squeal, and I don't wanna spoil the Tubey goodness of my bugera lol

Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio are pretty much on par in terms of pricing.

Huh??? Why didn't you mention the PRS before? Which are you getting and what wood is it?

You are aware that things like the construction (neck-thru vs bolt on vs set neck), shape of the guitar, tonewoods will all impact the final tone.

Just cuz the pickups sound good in your current axe, doesn't mean it'll sound better or just as good in your next one.

If you are planning on moving your pickups to a PRS, you need to consider that guitar as well... you could in fact get better pickups like WCR or Wolfetone (in you're in the states, or Rock Monkey, Bare Knuckle or Bulldogs).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Ah learn a new thing daily on here lol. Prs is in my sig, I have to check their site again for wood, but it's routes for hbs. And I am in the states.
Mahogany back, maple top for the prs

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
The PRS will be a very much darker guitar than compared to your JT. Almost the entire body is made of mahogany. Though the maple top has good highs, mahogany eats up higer frequencies for breakfast so your guitar won’t cut through. Also, the finger-board is rosewood, which eats up the mid range frequencies.

The PRS you are looking at is a very warm and dark guitar (a big emphasis on the lower and lower-mid frequencies). You’d need a very bright pickup with significant mid range and higher frequency hump if you want a grinding-balls-to-the-walls-tone.

In comparison, your JT is a guitar with a balanced frequency response. If you take those pickups I suggested and plonk it into the PRS, they won’t sound as good.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 28, 2009,
Both have the rosewood fret board, but yeah I get what you mean with the mahagony pretty much holding in the highs and some mids, woods a hemroid lol. Best thing I could do is keep the pups that I buy in the jt and keepthe stock zebras in the prs, or find a bright mid range pup, any suggestions where to look? I can always eq a bit if they're bright in the jt

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
Both have the rosewood fret board, but yeah I get what you mean with the mahagony pretty much holding in the highs and some mids, woods a hemroid lol. Best thing I could do is keep the pups that I buy in the jt and keepthe stock zebras in the prs, or find a bright mid range pup, any suggestions where to look? I can always eq a bit if they're bright in the jt

Do you want boutique pickups for your high end geetar? However, I find that pickups from PRS tend to be pretty decent.

Also, there's a limit to how much you can EQ a frequency that's weakened... even if you do get it high enough, it'll sound harsh and sterile, since you're taking a weak frequency and boosting it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah you are right, man that's like the third time lol. I have heard pretty good things about the prs designed pups, maybe I'll just keep the new ones in the jt and keep it for certain music like guns n roses and led Zeppelin

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
Yeah you are right, man that's like the third time lol. I have heard pretty good things about the prs designed pups, maybe I'll just keep the new ones in the jt and keep it for certain music like guns n roses and led Zeppelin

Since the PRS designed pups will be meant for the Custom 22... it may not sound good in the JT.

My recommendation is:
1. Change the pickups for the JT and PRS
2. Change the pickups for the PRS only
3. Change the pickups for the JT only

personally, I'd go for option 3. Like I said, its not a good idea to transplant the pups meant for the JT into the PRS.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah I'll go with option 3, now just tovpick and choose, thanks for puttin up with my ridiculous requests and ideas lol

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
its ok.

Just consider the DiMarzios...

In fact you can mix and match pup brands you know.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hey man, speaking of mixing pickup brands, do you think a Dimarzio X2n bridge and Seymour Duncan Jazz neck would be a good combo? Just curious.
Creamy liquid neck tones? For that wet, modern sound you'll probably prefer a Dimarzio in the neck. I really like Seymour Duncans in general, mainly because they make the best PAF style pickups as far as the big 3 pickup makers go (Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson), and those are where Seymour Duncans really shine, even the '59 is solid, despite it's price, and the Seth Lover and Antiquity compare favorably to pickups from any price range. But in general those pickups are going to give you more of an earthy, woody, flute-y type of neck tone.
Quote by al112987
Creamy liquid neck tones? For that wet, modern sound you'll probably prefer a Dimarzio in the neck. I really like Seymour Duncans in general, mainly because they make the best PAF style pickups as far as the big 3 pickup makers go (Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson), and those are where Seymour Duncans really shine, even the '59 is solid, despite it's price, and the Seth Lover and Antiquity compare favorably to pickups from any price range. But in general those pickups are going to give you more of an earthy, woody, flute-y type of neck tone.

Ah now that my partner in crime is here, he'll be able to give you the low-down on the Seymour Duncan products.

Quote by CapnKickass
Hey man, speaking of mixing pickup brands, do you think a Dimarzio X2n bridge and Seymour Duncan Jazz neck would be a good combo? Just curious.

You can. That's the technical answer.

You don't want to. That's my recommendation. The X2N needs some modding, its too hot a pup and its very harsh. Yes it has its uses, but its application is limited, unless you wanna play like Chuck (Death), but even then, you'll need to change the hookup cable.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by CapnKickass
Ah I see, I'm guessing it would be especially harsh sounding with alder and maple top.

What guitar is that? Its got a high end emphasis. Throw the X2N in there and your audience will cry.

I'm actually looking for someone to rewind my X2N from one-trick-pony to awesomeness lol.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )