My gear: Epiphone SG G400 and a Orange Crush 30R

I'm having some trouble finding a good distorted tone with this amp. I'm using the amps built in overdrive for this (can't afford a distortion pedal right now, and I would rather save up to get like a Rocker or one of the other orange tubed).

I play progressive, experimental rock, and I use mainly the bridge pickup. Some of the bands that influence my music are The Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy, Chiodos, and a few more.

Despite playing with the knobs for quite some time, I have yet to get a tone that doesn't drown out chords with the bass, yet has enough crunch for some sharp sounding chords and riffs.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. Would changing my pick up make a huge difference? I've heard only great things about the SD JB pickup. I shouldn't believe all that I hear, but would this be worth buying?
Last edited by Electrocuuute at Sep 28, 2009,
try rolling the volume knob on the guitar
and tone knob
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Aren't Orange Amps supposed to have a thick, bassy tone?
I don't think that changing the pickups is going to help this much.
Well, the issues you are experiencing basically come down to your guitar (assuming is has the less expensive stock pickups, which muddy easily) and the amp itself. I assume the Crush 30 is a solid state amp? I don't want to get into the physics of it, but basically its very difficult for solid state circuitry to be both rich and full sounding on single notes without being overwhelmingly muddy on chords (or vice versa). Tube amps have natural compression that accentuates single notes and brings out the full sonic spectrum on chords, which is why despite being turn of the century technology they are more desirable.

Basically, as you said, save every penny for a tube amp. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
Well, the issues you are experiencing basically come down to your guitar (assuming is has the less expensive stock pickups, which muddy easily) and the amp itself. I assume the Crush 30 is a solid state amp? I don't want to get into the physics of it, but basically its very difficult for solid state circuitry to be both rich and full sounding on single notes without being overwhelmingly muddy on chords (or vice versa). Tube amps have natural compression that accentuates single notes and brings out the full sonic spectrum on chords, which is why despite being turn of the century technology they are more desirable.

Basically, as you said, save every penny for a tube amp. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

At least I'm informed.
Yeah, it's a solid state. It's pretty good for $200 though. Everything is stock on my SG. Is there anything I can do to deal with the problem for now? My band really wants to record our first EP and we can only afford to homebrew it. I have no buds to borrow a nice amp from either.
Well, try turning up the volume on your amp, and rolling back the volume on your guitar. Use this setting for rhythm, and then roll the volume back up for solo/lead work. Back in the day when one channel amps were all that existed, this is how players varied their tone. It might help.

Best of luck
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I've played all of my guitars through the my 15R crush and the overdrive just isn't all that great regardless of pickups it seems though it can work for some things.