So my band is just getting going and all is fairly well. We've been getting good feedback, except on one thing: our singer.

In my opinion, he can do the screams very well, his cleans, however, suck. Feel free to listen in

www.myspace.com/maybefatalband (youre a poison)

Too many negative comments have been received, leading me to think we have to switch things up. Now there are several options the band could take

1. Get another singer, especially one good on cleans, leave our current singer on screams. So a complimentary thing.

2. Move the girl we have in the band to keys/vocals, let her do cleans, then get a new bassist.

3. Keep the current line up, let our drummer sing cleans. Though I don't think its too much of an improvement, if at all.

4. Kick him out? .

I've known him since I first put an ad out there for a singer, and we have become really good friends. He's a great guy, very dedicated, and very easy to work with musically. Good writer too. We've become good friends since, I would hate to see him go.

What do you guys think?

And question two:

Adding another guitarist: yay or nay? I've never worked with another guitarist or written a song for 2 guitars. I think we sound good now. But should I add another guitarist, or at least experiment with the idea? I know a guy who plays almost exactly my style and is really damn good, but ehhh.. should I go for it or no? Is two better than one?

Edit: I added option 4. Now I may be jumping the gun here. But what do you guys think about that option in comparison to the others? I just really want what sounds best for the band, and want to get things going well so we can start playing shows in a couple of months, and start off on a strong note.
Last edited by Supafly1824 at Sep 30, 2009,
It may shock you to learn that most vocal techniques are common between genres, whether screaming or opera. I can assure you now that without proper techniques employed, those "screams" that kiddies want to do all the time hurt for a reason - you're doing them wrong and they're damaging your vocal chords. If you can't sing the cleans, you shouldn't be screaming.

Yes those cleans don't sound good - it sounds like he's not breathing correctly. Get the singer to do lessons. Even if you move him to "just" screaming, he'll want to employ better technique.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I agree. I think he has plenty of potential, but he does need lessons. But he doesn't have the money or resources to take lessons. He doesn't even have a computer right now, so he can't look up online lessons. He's never taken lessons in his life.

Also how do you break news like this to a person? I'm not too good at this, how do I break it to him that we won't use him on cleans, or we need to change things up, etc? I've become good friends with him too, so its hard. Not something I'm used to.
If he can't sing very well, then maybe you should think about switching to someone else who can. I say let the girl sing, she's probably got wonderful cleans

About the 2nd guitarist, I was the 2nd guitarist in the band I joined. Sonically, you can do so much more with two. I think it'd definitely be worth bringing a second guitarist in to jam for a bit.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by Supafly1824
I agree. I think he has plenty of potential, but he does need lessons. But he doesn't have the money or resources to take lessons. He doesn't even have a computer right now, so he can't look up online lessons. He's never taken lessons in his life.

Also how do you break news like this to a person? I'm not too good at this, how do I break it to him that we won't use him on cleans, or we need to change things up, etc? I've become good friends with him too, so its hard. Not something I'm used to.

Just tell him that you think his screams sound good, but the cleans need some work. Then suggest that he get lessons to make him sound better, and he'll stop damaging his voice.

If he wants to get lessons, he'll find the money. But many of those screamer types don't.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You never really need a second guitarist. Most of the time it's a trap people fall into, where they absolutely HAVE to have two guitarists in a band, when most of the time it is unnecessary. Unless you can come up with a good rhythm and a good lead part, you'll just end up with two people not really playing together and fighting over which part they get to play.
Made an edit.

I just want to get off on a strong foot and start playing shows in a couple of months, hopefully.

We'll be jamming with another guitarist Friday, as well as possibly another vocalist or two, and see how that goes. However, we have not informed our current singer of the plans to change how we do vocals.