this is the first time i encountered a barred (paired) eighth note each tied to a quarter note. The notes are C and E.

my question is, how do you play it?
if i hold the first eight note and then the sound should end when you begin playing the 2nd eighth note of the pair, but then since it is tied to the quarter note after the two pairs of eighth notes, do i let the first eighth note ring more then its original time?(it will have to ring two eighth notes time to reach the quarter note it is tied to)

they are both tied.
Last edited by DisSatisfaction at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax
Are they both tied? Or is the first one slurred?

ya they are both tied to a quarter note.
Not sure I understand but I'll try:
If the second eighth note is tied to the quarter: Play the first note as an eight. The second note you will play for a duration of a dotted quarter. (Eighth + Quarter or counting "1 and 2")

If the 1st eighth note is tied to the quarter: Play the note for the duration of a half-note (Eighth + Eighth + Quarter or counting "1 and 2 and")

Also make sure this tie is not actually a phrase marking. I've seen people make that mistake all too often.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Not sure I understand but I'll try:
If the second eighth note is tied to the quarter: Play the first note as an eight. The second note you will play for a duration of a dotted quarter. (Eighth + Quarter or counting "1 and 2")

If the 1st eighth note is tied to the quarter: Play the note for the duration of a half-note (Eighth + Eighth + Quarter or counting "1 and 2 and")

Also make sure this tie is not actually a phrase marking. I've seen people make that mistake all too often.

they are both tied and they are two different notes C and E.
Quote by pwrmax
Are the 2 eighth notes tied to the same quarter note?

nope they are tied to their respective note C to C and E to E on the same string.
Wait...now I'M confused.

EDIT: and you're positive this isn't a phrase or legato marking? So you have 3 notes. C, C, and E?

EDIT2: OK...this is the only way I can make sense of what yer saying. You have 2 eighth notes(barred C and E) followed by 2 quarter notes(C and E). However, the barred eighth note C is tied to a later C quarter note and the eight note E is tied to a later E quarter note. OK...if that's the case...it is notated incorrectly but I have seen it happen with computer notation software f***ing up when someone is entering tab or midi.

But usually it means this: You let the first eighth note C ring until the "end" of the C quarter note. But on the "1 and" you hit the E on the adjacent string and let it ring until the end of E quarter note. If I'm still confused...I'm going to sleep, yer on yer own. lol
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Sep 29, 2009,