Ok this subject really pisses me off. People are always hating on mainstream music for no valid reasons. I understand that mainstream is no where good as it once was, but still. Also if an underground or not really famous band decides to sign with a major label, people call them sellouts instantly. I mean if youre a musician, arent you supposed to want people to hear your music?
it depends. I don't mind if a band who was previously underground becomes popular due to a sonic change. I just dislike top 40 types music; that always mainstream crap rarely has any half-decent music on it
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
There are plenty of valid reasons to hate on mainstream. Note: this isn't a hate/flame session, this is just why i don't like it so nothing against you or anyone else taste k

1. no/little complexity in most mainstream music (this is integral to my music, i can't stand boring chord progressions). Oh and please don't say mettalica...If you think that then you really need to expand your listenings...

2. little musical diversity (many mainstream bands tend to use formulaic song structures which can make for very bland album listenings)

3. tonal styles ( in case you haven't noticed many bands (vocally, guitar tone wise, rhythmically, etc...) sound similar. I'm sure you can think of a few bands that have similar sounding singers, guitar tones etc.

4. Song meaning/album meaning. This is my main reason for disliking mainstream. Most songs are written to be unbelievably broad so kids can feel like music is "relating to them" when really there just listening to vague lyrics that have no direct point. To some this is ok, but to me i think if your going to try to make a statement, you should Usually (not always) have some kind of point/ concept/ statement. Bands like 3 days grace and linkin park are good examples of this. I honestly just find it obnoxious.

And as far as selling out, it isn't selling out till you change your style to fit into a pop rock (whatever) category. If an artist signs with a big label thats great, maybe they'll get a decent contract and access to some good studios. Its just when a label steps in with suggestions geared towards marketability and the band accepts them is when a problem can arise and they become sell outs.

Can i honestly suggest listening to something different. I didn't get into music until i started listening to stuff that would never get radio time (protest the hero, Human Abstract, Between the buried and me, The Syncope threshold most recently). I think the more you explore whatever your interest is musically through underground/nonmainstream (mine obviously metal) the more you will be bored with mainstream music.
Quote by firebird103
There are plenty of valid reasons to hate on mainstream. Note: this isn't a hate/flame session, this is just why i don't like it so nothing against you or anyone else taste k

1. no/little complexity in most mainstream music (this is integral to my music, i can't stand boring chord progressions). Oh and please don't say mettalica...If you think that then you really need to expand your listenings...

2. little musical diversity (many mainstream bands tend to use formulaic song structures which can make for very bland album listenings)

3. tonal styles ( in case you haven't noticed many bands (vocally, guitar tone wise, rhythmically, etc...) sound similar. I'm sure you can think of a few bands that have similar sounding singers, guitar tones etc.

4. Song meaning/album meaning. This is my main reason for disliking mainstream. Most songs are written to be unbelievably broad so kids can feel like music is "relating to them" when really there just listening to vague lyrics that have no direct point. To some this is ok, but to me i think if your going to try to make a statement, you should Usually (not always) have some kind of point/ concept/ statement. Bands like 3 days grace and linkin park are good examples of this. I honestly just find it obnoxious.

And as far as selling out, it isn't selling out till you change your style to fit into a pop rock (whatever) category. If an artist signs with a big label thats great, maybe they'll get a decent contract and access to some good studios. Its just when a label steps in with suggestions geared towards marketability and the band accepts them is when a problem can arise and they become sell outs.

Can i honestly suggest listening to something different. I didn't get into music until i started listening to stuff that would never get radio time (protest the hero, Human Abstract, Between the buried and me, The Syncope threshold most recently). I think the more you explore whatever your interest is musically through underground/nonmainstream (mine obviously metal) the more you will be bored with mainstream music.

Im a metalhead myself and I see what your saying. The only point Im trying to make is To a certain extent it kinda gets some unfair heat. But yes I like your reasoning.us
Well my problem with Mainstream music is that most of the time the bands are used as tools to sell whatever companies and parent companies try to see to kids. Most bands will adopt a look and have a bunch of stupid teeenagers buy into them.
It's when people use "mainstream" as a mark of validity that annoys me.

The idea that if a million people have bought someone's album, then it must be fantastic music.
Quote by blue_strat
It's when people use "mainstream" as a mark of validity that annoys me.

The idea that if a million people have bought someone's album, then it must be fantastic music.

What he said. As a musician and a fan, I can't stand it when people equate visibility with quality.
Personally, I actually enjoy a lot of mainstream music. But it's always the 'elite' music fans that hate it. People usually associate vast amounts of exposure with crappy music, and in a lot of cases, I think they couldn't be more wrong.

For example, lets take Metallica. Many 'Tallica fans I come across only listen to their first 3/sometimes 4 albums because this was when they had the least exposure. They also hate their later stuff (including the Black Album), because (and I quote someone on this) "They sold out" (Sold out being another terms which is often confused). Now, these people think 'mainstream' and 'selling-out' as the same thing, which is why people hate it. I never heard any Metallica music which compromised what they set out to so in the first place. Not even St. Anger.

In short, my opinion is that if bands/artists getting a lot of exposure/getting into the mainstream, they're doing something right and not making 'crappy music'. I don't want to start an argument about what it means to sell out, but even bands/artists who have 'sold-out' are still making music a lot of people enjoy, so how can it be crappy? Bad music is a matter of opinion.

/Longest reply I've ever written to any thread ever
Check out my Electronica project!
http://
Cause the hype of the decade is being "different than everybody else"
resulting in an army of fake anti-conformist ******s that have no reason for anything they do exept for "everyone's doing it, I won't follow the pack" and that kind of cheesy bull****.
fact remains, now matter how you try to change it: retards will always remain retards.
No matter if they're pro- or anti- pop culture, wether they're black or white, and wether they're catholic or atheist. Just ignore it, and it'll go away.. In a century or so. :')
There is mainstream music in every genre and sub-genre. Dream Theater could be considered mainstream for Progressive Rock and so on. Mainstream doesn't mean bad, it just means popular, which in a sense, could mean very good (as in the case of Dream Theater, excellent musicians and incredibly popular).

As for a band like Metallica, I agree with Ryo. I honestly don't find them amazing, but that's just my opinion. They aren't terrible, just popular. In fact I find the musicianship above average in that band. They are exceptional, but they do stand out. Does that mean we should hate them because 51% of the culture likes them? No. That just means we have different tastes.