My classical guitar is getting fixed getting due the incompetence of a certain dealer at fixing the bridge. So right now there is a crack at the soundboard(top) of the guitar and the bridge is detaching again.The dealer said that the lacquer only cracked but i think otherwise. There are offering to send it back to the factory where it was made from to have it fixed. I have two problems:

1. So i wont be tricked, how do identify whether the crack is just lacquer crack or wood crack.

2. If the wood is really cracked and if they do replace the top, how do I identify if it is a high quality solid top or a laminate cause it seems i cant trust the dealer and they are paying for the repair (they are also in communication with the factory and i will be kept in the dark) . I'm afraid they might ask the factory to use a lousy top to save cost.

I hope you guys know where i am coming from and i hope someone can help me. Thx
Use a small mirror from an auto parts store. Check to make sure the grain pattern on the inside matches the grain pattern on the outside of the guitar. Laminate ply wouldn't match up, unless some fool spends a hundred hours grain painting it...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

^Seconded. He's a pro.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

If this classical Guitar cost you less than $2,000 it does not matter what they put on it as far as being able to discern tone or projection.
It all goes into the over all design. The Top is very important in Tonal qualities, the thin white faced Flamenco guitars, use high tension strings and have no tone or projection and are designed with extrabracing, they sound tinny and the notes decay quickly. This is why the can snap the notes very quickly apoyando and hard and very fast with hard rasqueados. A regular classical guitar is designed for more fullness, tone and clarity with a different design in bracing and in structure. Although high tension strings are employed also, the overall majority will make them to fit a player market for Normal tension.
Only profressional classical guitarists own the best of the best of the best. The woods are protected selected and they are kept in very controlled environments. For these touring perfomers owning a continuous new selection of these 10 to 15,000 dollar guitars are required.
I have an Old takamine Hirade 5 made in 1977 that is still holding its tonal qualities and the weakest aspect of most classical guitars are the environment. IF they are left in an extreme in evironment hot, cold, very dry. they will dessicate the glues and the resins in the woods.
This shinks the woods. The heat and cold cause expansion and contractions that can not be imagined by most musicians however; the torsion, sheer and tensile forces are exaggerated each time the guitar is heated or cooled.
A manufacturer that is in a less than $600.00 market would just swap the Guitar.
If the quitar costs less that that I would let them fix and sell it.
Get something you can trust in a Name brand that fits your niche. Most electrified classical guitar designs are not really perfected yet for good tone with out the amp going. So, they do not put much into the tone aspect and don't worry much about perfection in wood graining. Even some of the most expensive guitars I have played to day do not sound or play as well as my old Takamine and do not have the tone, clarity, projection or toughness to them. I hope this will help you to not worry too much about a DARK plan Corp. company has to do you in. All corporations want to take everyone for all they can by any means they can and for as much money as they can. I know some private guitar makers that enjoy making guitars, while they don't make much for the love and care the put into their craft their customers come 1st and they Love to see someone playing their instruments.
This is where creativity will eventually retake the spots for musicians to own their Musical craft to get there music out their, having private makers make their instruments, planning their own shows and owning their own production show management teams plus, do not operate with the quys that have always try to act like they know more about musical creativity that the musician when he only played football and wears a pin stripe suite , white shirt , never waited a table and always had his cars given to him and only thinks good music is something that goes Platinum.
Rant off. Taking some liquid gold and magnesium and water. Visions of Photonic activated guitar strings that never need turning and never wear out and reconfigure tunings to other openings by telepathic commands.
Oprah should be taken of the Air Ways along with all the night talk shows and replaced with perfoming groups. I want to start new cable net work called Musicians for Every, and each show with have performances of new groups and showing their talents, videos, studio production work, band history, and current projects, what they like to do and how they formulate their creative process and share to other aspiring artists to create.
The richness we acquire is not from being creative but from working to develop our creative side and finding others in the like mind to builg a great energy around it.
Witch doctor
fading out.