Hey guys I've been playing a year and I still can't sweep, like at all. I'm using a lp copy, does the thick wide neck affect the fact that I can't sweep. My guitar is professionally set-up. Also I know a few scales in a few positions, but I don't get how I can piece the notes together to make something other than note vomit, if you guys could help i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance guys!
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Sep 29, 2009,
Theres a crap load of sweep picking content on this site for you to check out, and as far as improvising you should check out the Blues section at Justin Sandercores website. He pretty much gets you off to a good start for improvising.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
I didn't really like sandercoe, didn't quite click with me. I didn't use the bar cuz whenever I do irrelevant garbage comes up

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
Hey guys I've been playing a year

There's your problem
Unless your a virtouso, guitartechniques take time to master, especially sweeping.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by westdyolf
I'm using a lp copy, does the thick wide neck affect the fact that I can't sweep.

No.

As ever the answer is slow down and practice, you can't expect to get this sort of complicated playing instantly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
One year isn't a very long time dude, sweeping takes hours and hours of heavy practice.
Learn the shapes of the basic Major and Minor arpeggios using 3 strings at first. Make sure every note sounds clear and that the other strings don't ring out. In order to have proper muting you should use your right palm to mute the strings lower than the one you're playing and use your fretting fingers to dampen the strings higher than the one you're playing. It may sound complex but it becomes natural once you get it down. Then start using 4, 5, and eventually 6 strings.
Quote by westdyolf
Hey guys I've been playing a year and I still can't sweep, like at all. I'm using a lp copy, does the thick wide neck affect the fact that I can't sweep. My guitar is professionally set-up. Also I know a few scales in a few positions, but I don't get how I can piece the notes together to make something other than note vomit, if you guys could help i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance guys!
Your guitar doesn't affect whether you can sweep - the fact you've only been playing a year and don't know much theory will affect it much more. Learn scales so you understand them, learn to construct chords and arpeggios, master your left hand muting and alternate picking, and you'll be in a much better position to learn to sweep.
I play minimum 3 hrs a day, and idk I got chastised for not being able to already. Even tho I'm not a shredder. Is there a good practice arpeggio? Or arpiggiated chord

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
I play minimum 3 hrs a day, and idk I got chastised for not being able to already. Even tho I'm not a shredder. Is there a good practice arpeggio? Or arpiggiated chord

1 - Take any chord you know.
2 - Sweep it.
3 - ?????
4 - Profit.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
start by playing arpeggios slowly, and then slowly increase your speed. In the end you should drag the pick up and down the strings
go cowboys
Quote by leafpro
start by playing arpeggios slowly, and then slowly increase your speed. In the end you should drag the pick up and down the strings

Your technique should begin as you mean it to end and stay the same throughout; unless you maintain your technique constantly you'll never build up the muscle memory required for fast, accurate playing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by westdyolf

Well whoever did that is a retard.

There's no timeframe for anything in guitar, a lot of guitarists will never even bother learning to sweep. In the big picture it's not that important, there's other things that need to be learned and understood before sweeping becomes even a distant issue. For starters there is absolutely no point bothering with sweeping until you are already well versed in theory, in particular intervals and chord construction.

What's the use in learning a technique that's solely for playing certain things at lightning speed when you don't understand them and can't even use or play them at a slow speeds yet?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
When I sweeping an arpeggio, the unused strings become vibrate and it's screw up my high gain sound. How can I mute them?
Quote by ZILtoid_1991
When I sweeping an arpeggio, the unused strings become vibrate and it's screw up my high gain sound. How can I mute them?
By gently touching the string with any spare bit of skin that can reach
Ive been playing guitar for 3 years (without theory) and I can half decent sweep and hella-improv. Here is a sweep I wrote, If you have the passion for it you can do it man.

-------------12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------15---15---------------13-11/10------------------11-10------------------------------------
-------14---------14---------14-----------12-10--------12-------12-11/10------7-----5-----------
----15---------------15---14-------------------------12---------------------8-----8-------------
-17---------------------12-------------------------10---------------------10-----9----7p5-----
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
Last edited by zedeathmetal at Sep 29, 2009,
This is my 4th year playing and I can barely sweep, I've never bother too much on learning sweeping anyway so it was expected. But you need to know theory, have a lot of finger independency on your fretting hand and good coordination between your two hands, that takes a LOT of practice and TIME, so don't worry
I've been playing for 2 years and 11 months and i just started sweeping like a month ago. Anyone have any tips on improving accuracy?
[quote="'hol[ "]y tape']I've been playing for 2 years and 11 months and i just started sweeping like a month ago. Anyone have any tips on improving accuracy?

Play slower.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Sweeping isn't an easy skill. I've picked it up towards 2 1/2 years of playing, maybe a little earlier. It REALLY helps having a teacher to show you how to do it.

And hell, then there's string skipping, adding tapping, etc...

Improvising is one of those things you have to learn to do on your own. Don't feel bad if you can't do it after a year, it takes practice to get it to sound good. Start over a basic I-IV-V Blues progression using the Major and minor pentatonics.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Your technique should begin as you mean it to end and stay the same throughout; unless you maintain your technique constantly you'll never build up the muscle memory required for fast, accurate playing.

This is ridiculous!!!! No one can pick up the guitar and just go at it! everyone has to practice. Just keep playing like the people above said. Start with an arpeggio and just get the first three down then add in the 4th then the 5th and so on. Thats exactly how i did it. Amer91 hit the nail on the head
^He didn't say that... What he said was don't change how you do it over time.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ch_tothe_ase
This is ridiculous!!!! No one can pick up the guitar and just go at it! everyone has to practice. Just keep playing like the people above said. Start with an arpeggio and just get the first three down then add in the 4th then the 5th and so on. Thats exactly how i did it. Amer91 hit the nail on the head

I didn't say start fast, I didn't say play complicated things throughout and I didn't say you can't build up musical ideas slowly. I said your technique should remain the same. Start practicing with the physical motions you mean to have at the end.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.