Page 1 of 2
Im trying to find a portable amp that has a good hendrix like fuzz tone to it. All of them have good crunch and distortion, but thats not fuzz.

Any ideas? Can I get fuzz from a good solid state (non modelled) with a pedal?
are u serious? i never knew that. but how come say for example hendrix tone was so thick and non trebly. because he used neck pup with tone pot rolled back?
and hendrix played 40 years ago ;-P

surely there are fuzz pedals (even if digital) designed for solid state amps by now?

this is what i want, nice fuzz tone, thats all. if it means small tube amp so be it. what im saying though is i cant find a fuzz face type tone from any of the modelling amps, they all have great tones (the vox being as good as most tube amps i listen to), but none capture a good fuzz face, which is odd. the closest i have found is valvetronix gear.

and why cant a fuzz pedal be used on a solid state? (non model or clean on a model)
Last edited by fiztech at Sep 29, 2009,
so what your saying is i need a $4k mesa with $600 boutique pedals to get a tone semi decent?

lmfao
Quote by customisbetter

and you can use a fuzz pedal on a solid state, but it will likely sounds terrible.

Lol.

Oh, wait, you were serious.

Seriously, though, if you run a clean SS amp with an overdrive pedal and a fuzz, it will sound pretty decent, from my experience.

You cannot get a fuzzface tone from just an amp, unless you mod it to do so, or unless there exists an amp with a fuzzface circuit integrated in the preamp.
Quote by customisbetter

there is no help for you

i was taking the piss pal, your replies are very cliche UG

but thanks anyway
if you want cheap alright hendrixy fuzz, get a roland cube put it on the tweed channel, or the marshally crunch channel and run a big muff, a double muff, or the boss fz something, and you will get a all right fuzz tone for relatively cheap
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
thanks imgooley

im trying to figure out which fuzz (not distortion) pedals will sound ok with a ss amp. im pretty sure the fuzz face wont. but i could be wrong.

the jc clean on the rolands as an example is a really nice clean. im presuming the vox and roland modelling amps use a better quality speaker than some others.

by the way, reason im asking is i need a portable hendrix tone, i have an ac30 but wont be lugging that around in a suitcase.
Quote by fiztech
Im trying to find / a portable amp / that has a good hendrix like fuzz tone to it.

I want / something crummy / that does something not crummy.

That is a cliche UG post my good friend.
thanks winman. wont the fuzz awful though across a dirty modelled channel?

so much conflicting advise out there.
Quote by customisbetter
I want / something crummy / that does something not crummy.

That is a cliche UG post my good friend.

ok then guru old wise one, tell me a non "crummy" portable solution?
Quote by customisbetter
fuzz typically suffers from phasing issues when run across an alredy dirty channel. so try to use a clean channel when using a fuzz pedal.

yep thats the general consensus we all read about, have you given it a try, if so do you have any audio samples you could give me? thanks.
Quote by fiztech
i was taking the piss pal, your replies are very cliche UG

but thanks anyway

No this is very cliche UG:

Quote by fiztech
so what your saying is i need a $4k mesa with $600 boutique pedals to get a tone semi decent?

lmfao

Just because you need to spend more than $100 doesn't mean you need to spend $4,000, and you say that like Mesa is some gift from god.

Listen, what people are trying to say is you get what you pay for. If you want to only spend $100, you'll sound like $100.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
it really counts, Id just mess with it till you like the sound, On my amps I use a big muff thru a already bluesy crunchy sound to get a hendrix like tone, but I am using a fender supersonic, but I would think if you did it on the tweed setting it would sound just fine, or if your using a heavier fuzz setting try it on just a really clean setting
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by tubetime86
Listen, what people are trying to say is you get what you pay for. If you want to only spend $100, you'll sound like $100.

im listening bud, but doesnt mean i have to swallow opinions.

ok so suggest me a solution in any price range for my portable purpose. thanks ;-)
Quote by fiztech
im listening bud, but doesnt mean i have to swallow opinions.

ok so suggest me a solution in any price range for my portable purpose. thanks ;-)

Wow, you are a feisty one, aren't you? Roland Microcube, and just deal with the fact that it isn't Hendrix's tone... What else do you expect to hear? I don't understand, you want a cheap, portable amp that can nail tones of thousand dollar half stacks?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Winman9999
it really counts, Id just mess with it till you like the sound, On my amps I use a big muff thru a already bluesy crunchy sound to get a hendrix like tone, but I am using a fender supersonic, but I would think if you did it on the tweed setting it would sound just fine, or if your using a heavier fuzz setting try it on just a really clean setting

thanks man. its always good to get some tips from someone doing it. but many people dont recommend it.

i ran a distortion across a cube 60 once and it was nice, but the 60 i presume has a better quality speaker to the likes of the microcube.
Quote by tubetime86
Wow, you are a feisty one, aren't you? Roland Microcube, and just deal with the fact that it isn't Hendrix's tone... What else do you expect to hear? I don't understand, you want a cheap, portable amp that can nail tones of thousand dollar half stacks?

no not fiesty at all, just dont swallow forum hear say without qualified experiences (ie i dont buy into chinese whispers). ;-)

yeah im thinking micro but the vox has nice clean tones. but neither has that cream thickness to it, hence why im thinking pedal.

im not looking for hendrix tone exactly, im not unrealistic, just trying to get as close as possible with whatever tools needed to do the job. the digital pedals just dont do it for me, the models on the roland cosms are basically boss anyway arent they?
Quote by tubetime86
If you want to only spend $100, you'll sound like $100.

Gross exaggeration is grossly exaggerated.

Quote by customisbetter
fuzz typically suffers from phasing issues when run across an alredy dirty channel. so try to use a clean channel when using a fuzz pedal.

I've never heard this before, neither in print nor in application.

Quote by fiztech
thanks imgooley

im trying to figure out which fuzz (not distortion) pedals will sound ok with a ss amp. im pretty sure the fuzz face wont. but i could be wrong.

the jc clean on the rolands as an example is a really nice clean. im presuming the vox and roland modelling amps use a better quality speaker than some others.

by the way, reason im asking is i need a portable hendrix tone, i have an ac30 but wont be lugging that around in a suitcase.

A fuzzface will sound fine with a ss amp. Not the best, but definitely not the worse.

What you can do is grab that Marshall Haze 15 and a fuzzface, or an Epiphone Valve Senior and a fuzzface, or better yeat, an MXR Classic 108, which to me sounds better than the Arbiter Fuzzface.

Fact is, though, there is no way you or anyone else can sound like hendrix, so get that out of your head.
im sorry but i have never owned a portable amplifier (other than the one i built by hand, but that doesn't count in this situation).

i CAN tell you that using a pedal with a portable amp is silly.

The designers do not even think of that because no one buys a 5 ounce amplifer with a strap loop expecting to use a 150 dollar pedal with it. Its bare bones. Something to simply amplify you, not get specific tones. ESPECIALLY ones that can only be totally replicated with a 100 watt tube stack and multiple effects.
Quote by fiztech
no not fiesty at all, just dont swallow forum hear say without qualified experiences (ie i dont buy into chinese whispers). ;-)

yeah im thinking micro but the vox has nice clean tones. but neither has that cream thickness to it, hence why im thinking pedal.

im not looking for hendrix tone exactly, im not unrealistic, just trying to get as close as possible with whatever tools needed to do the job. the digital pedals just dont do it for me, the models on the roland cosms are basically boss anyway arent they?

I hate Roland amps and boss effects, save a few for various purposes, so you won't find me recommending those, but the Vox Valvetronix series of amps are pretty good for the money, and have some great tones. They take fuzzes pretty well, though they tend to sound dark, so a boost would help.

However, if you can swing it, get a 15 watt tube amp and a 1x12 cabinet. That'll be small and portable enough, comparable to a small SS amp.
Quote by imgooley

$100 = $100 is an exaggeration?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by imgooley

Take a distorted wave, and mix another distorted wave with it. the points where they overlap (well completely opposite), you will see a volume drop where the waves cancel.

Thats why some people complain about the fuzz pedal having "Low volume" when turned on.
Quote by tubetime86
$100 = $100 is an exaggeration?

Paying 100 dollars and sounding 100 dollars. That's just stupid. An amp sounds like an amp, a guitar sounds like a guitar. Yes, some sound better for some applications than others, but every one has a purpose. My rig was cheap and doesn't sound like you'd expect when you consider what I paid for it.

There are also other factors involved when determining a price, so no, you don't sound like how much you paid for your gear.
thanks for the tips all.

im thinking i give up trying to get creamy fuzz from a portable amp as it sounds impossible
Quote by fiztech
what bout a vox ac4? though they sound kinda dark to me.

I personally don't have enough experience with single ended amps, but tubetime has a VJ so maybe he can help. I'm sure the way the AC4 and the VJ overdrive is similar in some respects.
Quote by fiztech
thanks for the tips all.

im thinking i give up trying to get creamy fuzz from a portable amp as it sounds impossible

I realized the folly of this thread was lack of info... What is your budget for amp and pedal, and what is your definition of portable? Do you mean easy to transport between places to play, as in small combo, or do you mean actually portable and playable on the go, as in battery operated combo?

Edit: Ya I have a Valve Junior, but I don't really like it. It is very dark, and the OD is pretty lifeless. I have really liked the AC4 clips I've heard though, especially the drive, so that may be worth a shot.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by customisbetter
Take a distorted wave, and mix another distorted wave with it. the points where they overlap (well completely opposite), you will see a volume drop where the waves cancel.

Thats why some people complain about the fuzz pedal having "Low volume" when turned on.

Yes, I understand destructive interference. That's caused by other factors, and has nothing to do with the distorted waveform, as far as I know.

Physics aside, in application, I do not find your statement to be correct, neither in my own usage, or in the usage of many professional artist, including Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by customisbetter
agree to disagree

Sure, why not?
2 current v33 owners, and a former... Nice!

fiztech: See my last post if you missed it. I haven't given up yet.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by imgooley

A fuzzface will sound fine with a ss amp. Not the best, but definitely not the worse.

What you can do is grab that Marshall Haze 15 and a fuzzface, or an Epiphone Valve Senior and a fuzzface, or better yeat, an MXR Classic 108, which to me sounds better than the Arbiter Fuzzface.

Fact is, though, there is no way you or anyone else can sound like hendrix, so get that out of your head.

or he can buy mine...

Quote by fiztech

Tube here knows just about as much as any UG'er here. he know's what he's talking about I suggest you listen.

I suggest a Valve Junior or Marshall haze. both would do you well

EDIT: I also suggest a Laney AOR. on the "clean" channel it's basically a plexi. it would be perfect.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Sep 29, 2009,
Page 1 of 2