First I'm a lefty playing like a righty, and its working really well so for. I have alot of control with my left hand so there is no cords that are problem. But the problem lies with my right hand, the hand that I pick with. I would love it to be as fast as my left hand so I can do more techincal stuff besides strumming. So what are some good practices i can do to help me with my problem?
Last edited by jdm_jerry at Sep 29, 2009,
Just like me, my friend..i'm a lefty playing as a right handed as well...i think you should practice different kinds of picking (alternate, economy, hybrid, finger, etc.)
You can change to left. Lefty people handle worse the righty guitars worse, but you also can play like a righty, for example right handed guitars are easier to find and they're less expensive.

You can play chromatic and other scales with alternate or economy picking, sweep picking... I recommend the Rock disciplines video from John Petrucci. That helped me a lot.
Buy the Guitar Grimoire Exercise book and do all of the practices while watching mindless tv. I do that for at least an hour every day before moving onto another 1-2 hours of practicing other techniques, and then another 1 hour of working on learning/writing songs.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Grimoire-Exercise-Book/dp/0825835658/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254235339&sr=8-3

Also, I agree with imaginary, start practicing alternate and economy picking. I would suggest starting to learn sweep picking. I started to make a lot of progress once I decided I wanted to learn to sweep. It does a lot to help you learn to sync up your hands with each other.
You can change to left. Lefty people handle worse the righty guitars worse, but you also can play like a righty, for example right handed guitars are easier to find and they're less expensive.

I don't think so. I can handle my righty guitar better than most of my friends that are right-handed, so..what the hell o.O

Edit: oh look! failed to quote!! xD
Last edited by imaginary.frnd at Sep 29, 2009,
The problem doesn't lie with either hand. Your problem is simply that you're not good enough at using both hands together...that's what you need to be focussing on. Forget the notion of one hand catching up to the other, they're a team and you need to use them as such. Slow everything down to the speed at which you can keep things in perfect sync and look to improve from there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com