Musicians who swapped instrument and became more famous for that instrument?

Page 1 of 4
Quick question: which musicians out there changed instruments for whatever reason, only to become famous playing that instrument.

Mark King of Level 42 is one. He swapped to bass from drums and is now one of the world's top slap-bassists.

go!
Dave Grohl.

Edit: **** spazz.
I will stand by all this drinking if it helps me through these days,
It takes a long time just to get this all straight.
Van Halen.

Eddie and Alex both swapped instruments.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Jack white originally was a drummer, now he is for the dead weather tho
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by Spazzeh
dave grohl

+1

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Brian May of queen started on banjo and ukulele
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Damn I'm are too slow to mention Dave Grohl lol. I would say James Hetfield because he used to play drums but he didnt take it anywhere professionally
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Chris Wolstenholme from Muse was originally a drummer and a guitarist.

stratkat
It was actually Malcom who taught Angus how to play guitar... see how that turned out

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I'm surprised there hasn't been 683674674 Opeth fanboys screaming Mikael Akerfeldt yet.
Alex Webster. He played guitar, then took up bass because it was supposedly easier to master.
joey ramone?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
John Myung of Dream Theater
Can't remember what he played originally but he swapped to bass

EDIT: He played violin from the age of 5, & was asked to play in a band as the bassist at 15, & I think I remember reading somewhere that he borrowed or bought a 6 string bass from a neighbour & stuck with it ever since
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Sep 29, 2009,
Dragonforce's keyboardist Vadim

used to play guitar in college I think
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Krist Novoselic, the bassist from Nirvana, played guitar to begin with but then switched when they needed a bass player I think.
Mustaine went from lead guitar to rhythm and vocals so i guess that counts.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Any famous musician who starts out as a drummer, I guess.
DeVillains!
The bassist from FOB.

As much as I hate him now, he used to scream in a Arma Angelus, or something they were called. Tim from Rise Against played bass for them I think, so maybe he counts to.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by _-Joey-_

EDIT: He played violin from the age of 5, & was asked to play in a band as the bassist at 15, & I think I remember reading somewhere that he borrowed or bought a 6 string bass from a neighbour & stuck with it ever since

He didn't switch to six string until after the first DT album.
Quote by _-Joey-_

Myung used 4 string bass untill ~1992/4.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by So-Cal
Slash originally played bass

No he didn't. When he started learning guitar he accidentally bought a bass guitar thinking it was a guitar. But his teacher told him, "that's a bass."

But Duff McKagan used to play drums and guitar when he lived in Seattle. Then switched to bass when he moved to LA because he knew there were too many guitar players.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Flea was a child prodigy at playing the trumpet, but then learnt to play bass at about 19, with Hillel Slovak as his teacher.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Dom Howard- from drums to bass and vocals.

Yeah this, and Matt Bellamy to drums and Chris Wolstenhome from bass to guitar and keys.
you played us

as both a cancer and a cure
Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
The singer from The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus started out as a drummer. My friend from his hometown says he was pretty good. Shame.
Page 1 of 4