Basically, I want to get closer to John Petrucci's sound. I know he's god and he's got thousand of dollars in equipment, but I want an amp that will take me at least a bit closer to his tone.
I'm more interested about his lead tone, and my budget is about $2000, maybe more?
what you looking for exactly??

guitars? amps? pedals?????

help us out here
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Your MH-1000 Should do fine emulating most of his tones, grab yourself a Mesa Dual Recto (Roadking is out of price range) and fiddle with knobs!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
crap, I forgot to mention I'm looking for an amp... Any specific mesa boogie models?
Also, it has to be somewhat versatile, stretching to hard rock and maybe some blues, and most metal (not the brutal grindcore/ deathcore kind of metal), but it needs a decent amount of gain.

How much is the Roadking?
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Sep 29, 2009,
i know he uses/used Mesa Mark IV and Rectos...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
i dont really see why not... a good margine of the sound comes from the amp...

if you go try out a mesa mark IV (of which john uses) then take down your strat and give a whirl and decide for yourself
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
hehe, there goes the big problem. I can't really try out this stuff as they don't sell any of it where I live. I'm going to buy based on reviews, youtube demos, that kind of stuff.
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Sep 29, 2009,
ahhh... fair enough.

well out i doubt youd find any bad reviews for a mark IV. and it was exactly what you asked for...

so wheres the problem?
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
If you want something versatile that can still nail the tones, try any mesa with more than one channel, really. Most of their amps have so much tweakability that even a nomad could do the thing, just go try a bunch of them if you can find a shop that carries many of 'em in stock. Trying the amp with a humbucking-equipped guitar could help too.

EDIT: Beaten to it, just stick with the mark then !
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Ya I think a Mark series would be best, from what I've heard. I have never played one so don't buy just on my account, not that you would.

I think the tone most people know him for is actually a Mesa Mark IIc+, but those are pretty rare so I'd say just look around and see what you can find.

Also you said you know he has thousands in gear, I think you may be underestimating the effect that has, not to mention post production. Its gonna be very hard to get anywhere near the clarity and sustain he has, but you can come close with a Mark.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 29, 2009,
mesa mark V /end thread
and a mxr wylde overdrive for a boost
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
A mark iv or a dual recto could do it.
Last edited by sg4ever at Sep 29, 2009,
last year he was using a lonestar and 2 mark IV's so maby looking into the mark stuff i know his rythem and lead tone is the mark IV
hes using all mark V now isnt he, i read that somewere!
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Mark IV or Roadking/Roadster.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera