Hi

Can you tell me what the standard guage for steel acoustic guitars is?

Would 12's give a good tone but still be easy to play?

Also, can you recommend me some strings that are not too expensive?

Thanks.

EDIT: How are these ones?

http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/4469/s/martin-m140-bronze-acoustic-guitar-strings-12-54/?source=googleps
Last edited by familybucket at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by familybucket
Hi

Can you tell me what the standard guage for steel acoustic guitars is?

Would 12's give a good tone but still be easy to play?

Also, can you recommend me some strings that are not too expensive?

Thanks.

EDIT: How are these ones?

http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/4469/s/martin-m140-bronze-acoustic-guitar-strings-12-54/?source=googleps

13's are considered "medium" gauge and 12's are "light." I use 13's fine, but 12s would give you decent tone and still be very easy to play. It depends on your guitar too though.

I like the Martin strings. I tend to prefer the standard D'Addario phosphor bronze though. If you feel like spending some more money, check out Elixirs. Those are my absolute favorite but I usually only get them if I am performing or doing soemthing special.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
13's are considered "medium" gauge and 12's are "light." I use 13's fine, but 12s would give you decent tone and still be very easy to play. It depends on your guitar too though.

I like the Martin strings. I tend to prefer the standard D'Addario phosphor bronze though. If you feel like spending some more money, check out Elixirs. Those are my absolute favorite but I usually only get them if I am performing or doing soemthing special.

Ok thanks. Also, what is the difference between Bronze wound and Phosphor wound? I've heard that Phosphor wound strings last longer, but which strings sound better?
Quote by familybucket
Ok thanks. Also, what is the difference between Bronze wound and Phosphor wound? I've heard that Phosphor wound strings last longer, but which strings sound better?

I've not noticed any real difference in the life of phosphor vs 80/20 bronze strings, then again I live in a dorm with ****ty climate control. Coated strings on the other hand definitely last longer. Most coated strings happen to be phosphor bronze in my experience however. If you're interested in longer life, check out D'Addario EXP strings. A fair amount cheaper than Elixir and IMO nearly as good.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
DR Sunbeams, 12-54 gauge. Just buy them. They play and bend like electric strings, while still having the same mass, tone, and tension as other 12-54 gauge strings. And they sound amazing.

Also, in my experience, phosphor bronze have more of a "rosewood" sound to them, in the sense that bass and treble are emphasized and overtones are very present. They are also a bit more responsive than 80/20 strings. And 80/20 has more of a midrange-y sound.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 29, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
You might also look into Martin's silk and steel strings. I used those for a long time.

You need to have either very high action or a very light touch for these not to get buzzy.
Quote by i_don't_know
You need to have either very high action or a very light touch for these not to get buzzy.

Eh. I guess I have light touch they never buzzed for me.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Eh. I guess I have light touch they never buzzed for me.

They do sound and feel amazing if you can keep them from buzzing, though. I wish Martin made them in heavier gauges. I'd buy them for the rest of my life.
some lights are 12s but custom lights are 11s, like martin sp bronze. how easy 12 gauge strings are to play depends on you. both my husband and i use 10s as being easier on fingers and wrists and also easier on some of his older instruments.

sunbeams are easier to use because they have round cores.

i tried silk and steels without any buzzing. if there is buzzing but you like lighter or softer strings, you can always have a luthier fix the action for those strings.
Last edited by patticake at Sep 29, 2009,
I had 12's on my new Kona Acoustic thinline and I put them down to a set of 10's and its much easier for me to play. Maybe I'm used to an electric, so the 12's seemed heavy to me, but I can bend and chord the 10's a lot easier.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
The 12's will still sound good. In my opinion once you go down below that your sacrificing tone for playability, though to me it's most noticeable when playing chords and voicings. If I'm playing through scales or solos I feel that the lighter strings sound better.

I love the D'addario EXP strings 80/20. I haven't used their Phosphor Bronze ones yet but I hated the elixirs that I had that were Phosphor Bronze.

Coated strings are alittle bit more expensive but they really do last alot longer.