So,having played using an LTD Ex-50 for several years, purchased as a newbie to electric guitars,I feel I need an upgrade to my slightly muddy,lifeless tone.

I mostly play metal, although I also play classic rock and blues, through a Roland Cube 60. I don't gig or anything,so a louder amp is unnecessary, although if you feel an amp upgrade would be preferable to a guitar upgrade, recommendations are welcome.

However, I would be unable to purchase both a new guitar and amp for at least a year,due to finances,so it would be one or the other.I am able to spend up to around £400 to £700, although that is a rough estimate so anything around that region is good.

Thanks
roland cube 60 is a nice little amp. I wouldnt bother upgrading that. if you like the ltd's look at a higher end one with nice pups, or a nice ibby RG or SZ, Jackson dk2, washburn WI65. plenty nice guitars out there.
I like the F series LTDs. I have an F-200 which is pretty basic. Look for one of the 400 level.
So you have GAS? (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Anyway, What guitars, amps and such are you interested in so far? Fender amps?
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Garvie
So,having played using an LTD Ex-50 for several years, purchased as a newbie to electric guitars,I feel I need an upgrade to my slightly muddy,lifeless tone.

I mostly play metal, although I also play classic rock and blues, through a Roland Cube 60. I don't gig or anything,so a louder amp is unnecessary, although if you feel an amp upgrade would be preferable to a guitar upgrade, recommendations are welcome.

However, I would be unable to purchase both a new guitar and amp for at least a year,due to finances,so it would be one or the other.I am able to spend up to around £400 to £700, although that is a rough estimate so anything around that region is good.

Thanks

You need to accept the possibility that the amp is the culprit here, it's certainly where I'd be looking first. Take your guitar to a shop and try it through something like a Laney VC30 or a Blackstar, maybe even AB them with a Cube instore...if you don't hear a massive difference then you'll know the guitar is the issue.

To be honest even if you're looking at guitars it's worth taking yours along so you can make an on the spot comparison as to how something new will sound through the same amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^Of course, he does have an LTD 50 series. That's practically the worst.
I say get a Washburn X50 Pro for £400, and then a Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack thing for £400, just over £100 your budget. If you don't want that stack, then you can get the combo version for £300, just within your budget.
Thanks for all the help!

Edited so as not to double post.

Any thoughts on these guitars?

Ibanez
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGT6EXFX-Electric-Guitar-518870-i1438617.gc

Schecter
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C-1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar-104143375-i1149930.gc

Jackson
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-520318-i1446457.gc

I will of course be trying as many different guitars as I can in the store, including those other posters have recommended, just looking for as many ideas and suggestions as possible, as well as trying different amps out.
Last edited by Garvie at Sep 30, 2009,