I am planning on buying the Hardwire SC2 Valve Distortion pedal.
Question: Can it be use as some kind of boost like an overdrive pedal? Like, to get more gain out of my HT-5. I know overdrive pedals can do that, but I'd rather want a distortion.
Thanks!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio AW Ltd Run
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Harley Benton 2X12" (Celestion V 30s)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive CO1
Marshall Reflector RF1
Digitech Hardwire HW DL 8 Delay/Looper
It depends on your needs, if you want to stick with your amp's character, but get more squeal out of it, try an overdrive. If you prefer shaping yourself a whole different distortion tone, the pedal would color the sound so much it would end up that way mostly. Your call, I prefer sticking to the amp's tone so that you get a kind of fit with the different tones available.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Gäbe
It depends on your needs, if you want to stick with your amp's character, but get more squeal out of it, try an overdrive. If you prefer shaping yourself a whole different distortion tone, the pedal would color the sound so much it would end up that way mostly. Your call, I prefer sticking to the amp's tone so that you get a kind of fit with the different tones available.

what would be the difference in tone apart from the effect on the amp's tone? could i get as heavy with an overdrive as with a distortion pedal?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
If you want a boost buy an OD. I've never found satisfactory results clicking on a distortion pedal while already on an amps gain channel. If you want to take the clean channel somewhere new, and heavy, buy a distortion.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
oh i forgot: how does boosting exactly work? do you turn the gain on the pedal down and just the volume up? because then it would get too loud for my bedroom. i want to have heavier distortion at lower levels, like with the amp's volume at 9 or 10 o'clock.
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Well, yeah, boosting an amp will also boost its volume, but you have a master volume there, rite?

Edit: If you want a tip on an OD pedal, a guy in a shop near me (that i trust and is always helpful) told me that the Hardwire OD was the most sold OD pedal in Norway ATM (but as we all know, Norwegians are st00pid! ). It's a tubescreamer with tons of options, he told me. I didn't try it, but I've only heard great stuff about it, and Hardwire pedals in general.
Last edited by Lil'hl at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by Lil'hl
Well, yeah, boosting an amp will also boost its volume, but you have a master volume there, rite?

Edit: If you want a tip on an OD pedal, a guy in a shop near me (that i trust and is always helpful) told me that the Hardwire OD was the most sold OD pedal in Norway ATM (but as we all know, Norwegians are st00pid! ). It's a tubescreamer with tons of options, he told me. I didn't try it, but I've only heard great stuff about it, and Hardwire pedals in general.

but will it not only make the amp louder? i could as well turn the volume up right?
and the hardwire pedal has a crunch mode, wich is suppposed to be more like an overdrive. does the help with not coloring the tone?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Last edited by roter$baron at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by roter$baron
but will it not only make the amp louder? i could as well turn the volume up right?
and the hardwire pedal has a crunch mode, wich is suppposed to be more like an overdrive. does the help with not coloring the tone?

The SC-2 is made to simulate a tube amp on the point of break up to a modern hard rock/metal tone. If you want a pedal to boost it (from the hardwire series, anyway) get the CM-2 Tube Overdrive. It's designed to act as a boost to tube amps as well as other functions.

The SC-2 wasn't intended to be made as a boost pedal.
I own every hardwire pedal except the reverb so if you have any questions about them i can try to help.

But anyway, go for a CM-2 if you want a boost pedal. or a tubescreamer, or bad monkey or something of to that effect.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by signedinbloodnz
The SC-2 is made to simulate a tube amp on the point of break up to a modern hard rock/metal tone. If you want a pedal to boost it (from the hardwire series, anyway) get the CM-2 Tube Overdrive. It's designed to act as a boost to tube amps as well as other functions.

The SC-2 wasn't intended to be made as a boost pedal.
I own every hardwire pedal except the reverb so if you have any questions about them i can try to help.

But anyway, go for a CM-2 if you want a boost pedal. or a tubescreamer, or bad monkey or something of to that effect.

But it does so by boosting the power tube(s), doesn't it? and it would boost the amp with the gain on the pedeal set very low, wouldn't i? so it is technically the same effect as turning the volume up, isn't it? im sorry, but i don't know much about that kinda stuff.
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
No, its not the same effect as turning it up. Have you even tried to roll down the volume on the guitar to about 5, while on the distortion channel? It gets cleaner. It changes the tone.

Yes, it's boosting the powertube on your amp, but no, its NOT boosting the powertube on your amp. It's boosting the preamp tubes, so they will distort more, AND, this will make the amp louder. So you are boosting the powertubes, but you can just put the volume on the amp down a little, then you'll be fine.

The GAIN on the pedal has only so much to say on the boost, it's the VOLUME on the pedal that matters. Too much gain on the pedal can make the overall distortion sound fake. When boosting an amp, the gain on the pedal should be less than 1/3, and volume well over halfway, IMO. But this is just personal preferance.

If you want to tight up, or just want little more gain on the OD-channel of your amp, a BOOST or OVERDRIVE is your best choice. The CM-2 seems well suited for you.

If you want a different sounding distortion sound, you could buy a DISTORTION pedal and run it on the clean channel of your amp. The SC-2 is a great unit for this.

Good luck with this, and then you learned something new today!
It won't just add volume if you boost with a pedal. It will also add distortion. I think this was already established, but repetition means you'll remember and get it (we hope). An overdrive is what you need and want if you are only boosting. A distortion is for distorting a clean channel.
thanks a lot guys! you really helped me, and i understand now boosting now.

Quote by kyle62
I think you might like the Danelectro Cool Cat Overdrive, it's a great clone of the Fulltone OCD.

maybe i will try this. it seems to be not bad for the money. and if i like it, i can upgrade easily. check it out if you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNXu3jvrSo

any opinions on it?

thanks again!
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1