I have been playing for several months now (since late February to Mid-March), and I have made very little progress in that time. I blame this partly on not being able to afford a teacher, so I have had to teach myself. Also, I have done very little (read as no) theory, so I have done no chords or scales. This is because the book I bought to teach myself explained it all very badly, and TBH, it scared me. Also, I some times find it very hard to get the motivation to play. Occasionally, I'll randomly really want to play, and will play for hours (like last night, I played for 4 hours, and only stopped because my finger tips felt like they were on fire). However, this after noon, I didn't really want to, but still tried to do some practice, but put it away after about 20 minutes because I was getting pissed off I was playing like ****.

....And now I can't remember where I was going with this.

Well, I think I'll just ask if any one has any advice, I'll edit in what I was gonna put in, if I remember it....
That's the way it is with motivation - sometimes you have it, and sometimes you don't. No one always wants to play guitar all the time.

Take a break from it and just read a book or listen to some music.
Here is my schedule I use to practice: (Note all exercises I do while watching tv so that I don't get bored. Once you know what to do in an exercise you don't need to pay attention that much. Just let your muscles learn the motions.)

Every day:

1 Hour - Exercises from Guitar Grimoire Exercise book (like $20 on Amazon I think)
2 Hours - Technique Exercises (Search for technique lessons on Ultimate-Guitar, work on 1 or 2 every day for this length of time)
1 Hour - Work on learning a song (I usually work on 2 at a time so that I don't get bored with 1)

Some things to look up lessons for: Alternate picking, economy picking, sweeping, etc...

Some extra things to do: Use a guitar chord book, Pick random chords and practice strumming them cleanly

Let me know if you need anything else.
That's how I was too. Stuck at home and I trapped myself in a little room forcing myself to play. Learn from UG UG is what taught me how to play.

You'll level up soon.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Wow 4 hours a day....

What is a guy to do when he has 2 kids, work, etc...I'm lucky to get in a hour per day.
Haha. The answer is: I sacrifice sleep and try to shorten everything else in the day. I know the deal. No kids yet, but I work full time and do freelance work on the side, and I have a girlfriend of 4 years that doesn't have the most kindly of regards for my guitar. You have to find time. Even 1 hour a day is good so long as you stay consistent. Add in time wherever you can. Get up 15 minutes earlier, Shave 5 or 10 minutes off of meals, go to sleep like a half hour later, etc...

If my girlfriend steps out of the room for 2 minutes I grab my guitar and play a few scales... Its what you got to do.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Here is my schedule I use to practice: (Note all exercises I do while watching tv so that I don't get bored. Once you know what to do in an exercise you don't need to pay attention that much. Just let your muscles learn the motions.)

Every day:

1 Hour - Exercises from Guitar Grimoire Exercise book (like $20 on Amazon I think)
2 Hours - Technique Exercises (Search for technique lessons on Ultimate-Guitar, work on 1 or 2 every day for this length of time)
1 Hour - Work on learning a song (I usually work on 2 at a time so that I don't get bored with 1)

Some things to look up lessons for: Alternate picking, economy picking, sweeping, etc...

Some extra things to do: Use a guitar chord book, Pick random chords and practice strumming them cleanly

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers mate, that's very helpful.

I bought Guitar Player's How To Play Guitar and How To Play Metal Guitar, but they aren't the best. I'll try and see if I can get the books you recommended.

Quote by vinnie-watt5
That's how I was too. Stuck at home and I trapped myself in a little room forcing myself to play. Learn from UG UG is what taught me how to play.

You'll level up soon.

That makes me feel a lot better. I was getting slightly pissed off that I found yet another thing I enjoy, but horrendous at.

Probably doesn't help that I always compare myself to my mates who have played for several years.

Quote by Commodor 64
Wow 4 hours a day....

What is a guy to do when he has 2 kids, work, etc...I'm lucky to get in a hour per day.

Not all the time I do that, just yesterday because I got really into it, and I was depressed as hell and it made me feel better. Though I do have the time to every day.
I had a lot of trouble picking anything up the first time I tried to learn a few years ago. When I started again last year I used a lot of youtube "lessons," justinguitar.com in particular. For me it helped a ton. Might be worth a shot instead of using books.
I've seen justinguitar.com mentioned here several times. Yesterday, I loaded lessons and listen to them while at work, I figure something has to sink in.
guitar.com has some good stuff too. Check it out. I think the lessons and stuff are under the resources link.
I'm not trying to be a douche, but i really hate these posts about not getting on with guitar. They're full of self-pity. The most annoying thing is though 99% of the time the poster answers his own questions:

Also, I have done very little (read as no) theory, so I have done no chords or scales. This is because the book I bought to teach myself explained it all very badly, and TBH, it scared me. Also, I some times find it very hard to get the motivation to play.

Do the theory, learn the scales and chords. Motivate yourself. Without self-motivation you won't get better.

Joe Satriani talks about motivation in a youtube vid. Don't know the notes on the guitar? What you gonna do about it?

Don't know your scales? What YOU gonna do about it?

Don't know the chords? What you gonna do about it?

Noone can force you. Just start learning it.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Haha. The answer is: I sacrifice sleep and try to shorten everything else in the day

Yeah. Food and sleep is a sign of weakness!!!
Quote by vinnie-watt5

You'll level up soon.

You know what I find funny about that comment? Thats exactly how I think of it haha.

Every once in awhile while I'm playing all of a sudden something will just 'click' in my brain, and whatever I was working on learning/practicing will suddenly move from the active thought process to the passive where it becomes second nature. These moments in time are 100% noticeable (for me at least) and I always jokingly refer to them as my "+1 to guitar playing skills" moments. It literally feels to me like I have "leveled up" so to say.

All thats really going on is that my brain is finally sinking in the information into my unconcious thought and it becomes second nature at that point. Like I said, for me, these moments are literally 100% noticeable. I will be in the middle of playing and suddenly I will feel like I have a moment of enlightenment and I look at the fretboard and I just go "Ohhhh!"

I believe this happens to everyone throughout their musical lives, I just dont know if its as apparent to everyone else as my "+1 to guitar skills" moments are to me.

Edit: To put in in perspective for you, I've been playing for about 9 years now (off and on over the first 6 years non stop for the past 3). I've had 3 moments like that in the past year alone.

But they do happen, it just takes time. Any instrument will take years of practice and dedication to become good at, unless you are super genius gifted and can pick up anything in a heartbeat. Which sorry to say is not very many people in the world, some people are given that talent, some people arent.

sorry for the long post haha.

TS just stick with it, you havent been playing very long and it will be a struggle for awhile, but it will all slowly start to sink in. Just listen to what everyone else in this thread has said so far.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 30, 2009,
Quote by Commodor 64
Wow 4 hours a day....

:werd:

minus the kids.. im up for work at 6 and I dont get home till 5:3~6.. then its time to make dinner, do dishes, clean ****, do laundry etc.. fitting in the guitar is tough some days >.<

Ill never get my 10k hours in at this rate

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I know exactly how you feel. I got my first guitar when I was 10. I played it maybe 3 times and then I put it down for almost 2 years. I just didn't want to play. What made me get back into it was music. Find a band that you like and listen to their music. Soon enough, you will see why you bought a guitar in the first place.

In regards to lessons, almost everything you need is on UG. Check out the lessons section.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
... What made me get back into it was music. Find a band that you like and listen to their music. Soon enough, you will see why you bought a guitar in the first place. ...

Same thing for me. Every single time I sit down and listen to music, some song will come on that just instantly insipires me to want to play. The more you listen to music that inspires you to pick up the guitar, the more you will want to pick it up, so that eventually you can play and make music just like that which has inspired you in the first place.

My motto: "Music = Love = Life"
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by Dragonis
You know what I find funny about that comment? Thats exactly how I think of it haha.

Every once in awhile while I'm playing all of a sudden something will just 'click' in my brain, and whatever I was working on learning/practicing will suddenly move from the active thought process to the passive where it becomes second nature. These moments in time are 100% noticeable (for me at least) and I always jokingly refer to them as my "+1 to guitar playing skills" moments. It literally feels to me like I have "leveled up" so to say.

All thats really going on is that my brain is finally sinking in the information into my unconcious thought and it becomes second nature at that point. Like I said, for me, these moments are literally 100% noticeable. I will be in the middle of playing and suddenly I will feel like I have a moment of enlightenment and I look at the fretboard and I just go "Ohhhh!"

I believe this happens to everyone throughout their musical lives, I just dont know if its as apparent to everyone else as my "+1 to guitar skills" moments are to me.

Edit: To put in in perspective for you, I've been playing for about 9 years now (off and on over the first 6 years non stop for the past 3). I've had 3 moments like that in the past year alone.

But they do happen, it just takes time. Any instrument will take years of practice and dedication to become good at, unless you are super genius gifted and can pick up anything in a heartbeat. Which sorry to say is not very many people in the world, some people are given that talent, some people arent.

sorry for the long post haha.

TS just stick with it, you havent been playing very long and it will be a struggle for awhile, but it will all slowly start to sink in. Just listen to what everyone else in this thread has said so far.

Ye kinda feels like your pokemon evolves you know like in pokemon red and blue lol.