Poll: Are there to many sub-genre's of metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are there to many sub-genre's of metal?
Yes
74 61%
no
48 39%
Voters: 122.
so... who agrees? the number of sub-genre classifications of metal is ridiculous
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
TBH, classifications are necessary.

If someone says "recommend me some metal", there can be a LOT of different suggestions.

But, "recommend me some metalcore", "recommend me some Hair Metal", "recommend me some Death metal", "recommend me some doom", is a LOT easier.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

If someone says "recommend me some metal", there can be a LOT of different suggestions.

But, "recommend me some metalcore", "recommend me some Hair Metal", "recommend me some Death metal", "recommend me some doom", is a LOT easier.

+ 1
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by Simsimius

so is this thread a can of worms or bait?
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
If only there were some forum dedicated to metal where you could post this...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Some are needed

But how many bands are Post Sub-progressive doom metal with folk influences (just made up on the spot)

But you get the idea
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
in moderation there is nothing wrong with classification, but it's gone a bit too far with metal sub-genres.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
They're needed to a degree, someone who likes folk metal might hate death or power metal, and so on.

v That, pretty much. Anyone who listens to a lot of metal can distinguish between the subgenres with ease.
Last edited by KeepOnRotting at Sep 29, 2009,
not too many. just confusing to the uninitiated/non-metal heads
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
if they weren't there we wouldn't know what kind of metal the band is playing, as there are different types

Also, there is the metal forum, take this there.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Subgenres exist so that we can actually find music we like. It's not like other genres don't have subgenres: there's surf rock, garage rock, folk rock, indie rock, modern rock, classic rock, funk rock, alternative rock, rap rock, pop rock, etc., etc... and if people are so fussed about genres, why do I always hear stuff like "but I don't like rap" or "none of that screamo stuff, please" when people are asking for music recs? If you don't like subgenres, you probably called Amon Amarth black metal once and are looking for a way to come out smelling like roses after the aruement that ensued. If you just educate yourself a bit, you'd know better.

/rant
Quote by Simsimius

This. Although I think the number of sub-genres is getting somewhat ridiculous, and most of these kinds of genres aren't really specific enough to describe most bands, although they are great for recommendations.

So basically :

Sub-genres = good
Sub-sub-sub-genres = **** off.
TS is clearly not true

I think many are needed.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
We need more subgenres. There really isn't anything wrong with them, and even in the more ridiculous degrees of subsubsubgenres, they're amusing at least.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Death metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJt9IqoGVU
Power metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onajO7Xth8w
Folk metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKZd4U397M4
Black metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPzkYhKAjB8

Those are just a few examples of why the sub genres are needed, they're all metal but very, very different.

I love that folk metal song.
I think I may like Folk Metal. Who'd have thought?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by webbtje

Isn't Mithras pushing it a bit for 'ambient'? To me, they're Brutal Death Metal, but interesting and awesome.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Ok, here we go.

Death metal
Melodic death metal
Black metal
Melodic Black metal
Thrash metal
Melodic Thrash metal
Speed metal
Hair metal/Glam metal
Doom metal
Industrial metal
Power metal

Those are the sub genres of metal, any other ones are just for the involved such as the hardcore metalheads in that one genre.

METALCORE, DEATHCORE AND GRINDCORE are their own genre, sure they have heavy guitars, fast tempos ect, but they are still their own genre.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by webbtje
They have their moments of proper weirdness which are quite ambient to me. Also, they have some stuff which ain't metuhl at all.

I have eaten my words. I guess now I'll have to change the info on Triumvirate in my iTunes back to Ambient Death Metal like the metal archives told me to, huh?
Quote by jetfuel495
I have eaten my words. I guess now I'll have to change the info on Triumvirate in my iTunes back to Ambient Death Metal like the metal archives told me to, huh?

Yeah, or I'll run over to your house and shit on your mum.

Quote by Tango616
Ok, here we go.

Death metal
Melodic death metal
Black metal
Melodic Black metal
Thrash metal
Melodic Thrash metal
Speed metal
Hair metal/Glam metal
Doom metal
Industrial metal
Power metal

Those are the sub genres of metal, any other ones are just for the involved such as the hardcore metalheads in that one genre.

METALCORE, DEATHCORE AND GRINDCORE are their own genre, sure they have heavy guitars, fast tempos ect, but they are still their own genre.

Highlighted are sub-sub-genres. Ain't making sense to me, laddie, if you're trying to simplify things.
Quote by Tango616
Ok, here we go.

Death metal
Melodic death metal
Black metal
Melodic Black metal
Thrash metal
Melodic Thrash metal
Speed metal
Hair metal/Glam metal
Doom metal
Industrial metal
Power metal

That makes "melodic" look less like a genre and more like an adjective. Would that help simplify things?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
That makes "melodic" look less like a genre and more like an adjective. Would that help simplify things?

Melodic death metal is distinct, but black metal and thrash aren't.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't think it really matters, because genres don't really exist anyway. They're all based personal opinion. I honestly think that the names that have been invented for the sub-genres so far are pretty accurate and would use some of them when trying to describe certain bands, but I can also think of tons of metal bands that don't fit into any genre or are a mix of multiple types.