Im always trying to increase my picking hand speed, mainly with tremolo and all around fast picking techniques because over time my hand tires out and starts to not be able to make it through an entire song without messing up and getting tired. Im trying to play this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmLb7IAlxPo

and I can play all the riffs well on thier own but my problem is endurance, because overtime my wrist on my picking hand will get tired and I start to mess up badly. What exercises can I do to really boost my picking hand strength/endurance to where stuff like this is effortless?
I don't think many exercises specifically target endurance. You just have to keep playing. Over time the endurance will develop on its own. Try playing more often or for longer at a time. That will help more than anything else.
masturbate. alot.

no but seriously. try that chugging part of the master of puppets intro wheres its like..

-----2-----3 etc.
0 1----0 1

try doing that part of the song over and over.. maybe thatl help? idk.
Last edited by Magicant at Sep 29, 2009,
might simply work on minimizing the movement of your picking hand...if you aren't controlling it so that the movement is as little as possible you are wasting energy.

Also try to relax and not tighten up your muscle, it's easier said than done but with practice you will get it.

string skipping exercises, trem picking, alternative picking, downstroke picking...work on it all starting slow and slowly working up to as fast as you can manage while keeping it clean over the course of a minute or 2. little thing like this will immensly help your picking hand gain endurance and control.
Try plying faster than it for longer amounts of time. I find that usually helps, however don't go over board and hurt your arm.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Fap.

Really though, I can't give you any advice other than to keep going at it, a lot. I know the feeling you mean, and I'm sure it happens to every player, but your endurance does improve gradually through practice.

One thing that might be worth taking into account is the efficiency with which you pick - if you're using more force or movement than necessary, your muscles will tire faster, so practice trying to get that down to the minimum necessary movement and force.

edit: Lol I was a bit late with my predictable UG fapping answer
Last edited by Beserker at Sep 29, 2009,
these guys might be joking, be i think the majority of my picking speed comes from fapping.
Who fapps like they pick? I know I don't. The muscles used whilst fapping are more in your arm and shoulder than in your wrist and hand. If you use the same muscles fapping as picking then you either pick wrong or fap wrong

You just gotta keep at it. It like running a marathon, you practice and work towards a longer run and in time your long run seems easy. Same with guitar.

Learn Angel of Death by Slayer. Once you can play that without pain or stopping you know you are pretty much good to go.

How long have you been playing?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
How do you get running endurance? Practice.

You know, most if not all guitar problems, especially technique hinderinces (I don't think thats a word), can be solved by practice.